First Time For Everything
By new2thegame on 7/8/08
By Mallory, oobgolf intern

Ladies and Gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for...(cue drum roll)...this week I will play my first round of golf. Although the offer to auction off my first round was very tempting, the privileged (or punishment) went to the guys of oobgolf. In anticipation of this monumentous event I've been thinking a lot about what to expect.

Time:
Maybe when you are out on the course it does not seem like you have been out there for hours (maybe you are not) but from my experience it always seemed that golf took forever. That being said, if normal golfers take a few hours, then this beginner will take a few extra hours. There may not even be enough daylight.

Frustration/Laughter:
I'm sure that the guys will get a great deal of amusement from our little outing. In fact you guys may not need to hit the gym for a few weeks because the abdominal workout that you'll get from laughing will be pretty great. The frustration will come when dinner time passes and we're still on the second hole. The frustration for me on the other hand will most likely come when I try to hit the ball the first sixty times with no success.

The Actual Game:
I have no doubt that I will be awful but how awful is the question. I've been practicing my putting and the driving range has gone very well, so how bad could I be, right? Well I'm going to say that the guys stop keeping score because everyone is laughing too hard and I commit too many penalties. I have no idea what chipping is but I do know I have no idea how to do it. I guess knowing which club to use might also help my game a bit. It will be interesting to see if we make it off the course in time to post articles for Thursday!

So after all of this analysis, I guess the only thing left to do is play. The clubs are packed, the outfit picked out (leave it alone, I am still a girl!), the butterflies fluttering in my stomach, and my best friend, the golfer, on speed dial. I'm as prepared as any first timer could be and as mentally ready as possible. Hopefully the guys are ready for the day they have in store. I guarantee it won't be the greatest round of golf ever but it will be comical for them and a great learning experience for me.

As for everyone else out there, any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

(Ed. Note- I think it would also be fun to try to have you guys predict Mal's score. We'll make her count (most) off her strokes and force her to post it. The course we are playing is short and shouldn't play too tough but this IS her first time out. My guess is 128.)

[ comments ]
possingk says:
My wife's first time out that she counted strokes was a 138 so that will be my guess for Mallory. Just remeber Mallory the score isn't as important as having fun.
7/8/08

hogan72 says:
keep your eye on the ball & swing easy
63-59=122
7/8/08

tinashaffer says:
I remember my first time..my score was somewhere aroung 130-140 but I wasnt able to actually count them all. As a beginner (im new too..handicap 27-30), I would suggest a few things. First, have fun! Second, dont hold up the group. If you hit a few shots opposite of the green, pick up the ball and place next to your riding partner. This gives you practice shooting from something other than the trees..lol and a chance to make a good shot every once in a while (thats what will bring you back) Third, chipping and bunkers are hardest at first (i think). Hit a couple..then throw it on the green and practice puts. Those are beginner rules..lol.
7/8/08

falcon50driver says:
When I play with a beginner I suggest that we play a scramble. Not that I am very much better than a beginner, but between the two of us we can play a fairly decent round in an acceptable amount of time. The beginner will hit a better shot than I, a few times, and adds to their enjoyment. As a matter of fact they'll go home and tell about the time I hit into the water and they pulled us out of the hole with a shot to the center of the green, or how they hit a shot on a hole that Tiger would be proud of....Which is true..
7/8/08

6-iron 130-150-160 70-100-130
7-iron 120-140-150 65-90-120
8-iron 110-130-140 60-80-110
9-iron 95-115-130 55-70-95
PW 80-105-120 50-60-80
SW 60-80-100 40-50-60

Little cheat sheet. Put women's info on index card and laminate. I hope these guys are helping you with your chip shot!
7/8/08

tinashaffer says:
Sorry about the way that posted. there are 3 columns. the club, mens range ###-###-###, and womens range ###-###-###.
7/8/08

Kickntrue says:
Got it Tina! Thanks.
7/8/08

golfgirl says:
Oh don't worry about all technical stuff, and above all don't be nervous...no need to be. Just wear a an awesome outfit and enjoy being outside. You can always pick up your ball if need be, to keep up the pace... or just play scramble as Merlin suggests. Oh, and by all means play from the red tees. Red tees rock.
7/8/08

drappi2552 says:
75-69-144
7/8/08

PapaJoe says:
Mal's real score if all strokes are counted and you play on a golf course with some water in front of the greens: Front 9: 84. Back 9: 93. Total: 177. No Water--146. But, Mal... Don't count every stroke! No fun. Faux paux! Enjoy dinner ON THE GUYS! even if it is past midnight!!! After that first round you will then learn how "real" golfers keep their scores lower than their handicap suggests. "Pencils with erasers!" Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho!
7/8/08

kkjacks says:
Having been to the driving range and all I am going with 131. My only advise is, don't forget to bring a few beers along for those really bad holes.
7/9/08

munk24 says:
and dont use a pink ball
7/9/08

volleyhart says:
Maybe an oobgolf video montage of the day should be posted ...

Mel's gonna be better than we think, I'm going 120. She's focused, she's got speed dial ready, and she's picked out the outfit so that's another thing checked off the list.
7/10/08

theredmission says:
tinashaffer, where'd you get that yardage thing? I realize it probably a general list, but it waaay off for me, primarily the iron distances, I use a 9i from 150.
7/10/08

falcon50driver says:
What distance do you hit each club?
8/6/08

Patricksence says:
Just don't try to wail on the ball, make your strokes nice and easy.. It is better to hit short and straight then far and lost in the bushes, back yards, water, or the fairway of the previous hole...
12/16/08

delswick51 says:
Please use a differant color ball
8/30/09