How To Improve FedExCup
By mustang6560 on 8/24/11
I have two ideas I wanted to share with you that I think will help improve the FedExCup and add more excitement to the PGA Tour Playoffs.

My first idea is to do away with the FedExCup “points” after the field is set for the first round of the playoffs - the Barclays.

The way the system works now is the points earned at each round of the playoff are added to each player’s cumulative total from the regular season to decide who moves on to the each round. This system limits the chances of players near the bottom of the standing to make it to the next round, which in my opinion undermines the purpose of a “playoff” and takes away some of the excitement.

The thrill of a playoff is anyone can win on "Any given Sunday" and if you don't bring your A-game, then you're going home. The only determinant of who moves on and who goes home should be how a player plays that week. So to make it to the second round of the FedExCup at the Deutsche Bank, you have to finish inside the top 100 at the Barclays. Not, you have to finish inside the top 100 of the FedExCup standings after the Barclays.

You could keep the same general structure of how many players move on each week (100 players make it to the Deutsche Bank, 70 make it to the BMW and 30 make it to the Tour Championship), but how someone did in week two of the regular season wouldn't matter anymore.

I think the fact that everyone's playoff life would be on the line each week would definitely add to the excitement. Plus, it would also prevent players like Charl Schwartzel from skipping the first round. Charl has enough FedExCup points that he can skip the Barclays and still have a realistic chance to win it all.

My second idea is to make the final round - the Tour Championship - a match play competition. How a player finished at the BMW would determine their seed for the final.

I find match play to be exciting, partly because you don't get to see if very often on TV. The winner of the FedExCup wins $10 million so the winner should have to fight for it and what's more cut throat than head-to-head action? With the current format, you can not win the final playoff event and still win the $10 million. How anticlimactic is that?

The FedExCup will always have a hard time trying to attract viewership because it competes with college and professional football. But, I think the PGA Tour could do more to make it more exciting.

Tim Finchem, if you're reading this, I'll be happy to talk to you about my ideas in greater detail at a later date and time.

photo via

[ comments ]
wow i am impressed. great ideas. the only thing i am not sure of is the match play aspect of it. I think once they get in the playoffs each "round" tournament should be like real playoffs were your previous round has no effect. top 100 move on, top 70, top 30, whoever wins Tour Champ wins fedex cup. asat
I remember someone suggesting that the "playoffs" do away with the points system and instead, go to a relative to par. I think the idea has merit, simply because you benefit from stomping all over the field.
sportsmaniac8C says:
I disagree with doing away with point system because then there is no benefit finishing 1 or 125 in Cup points. But mixing up the championship round could be cool. How about thurs. and fri. are normal and top 8 make the cut. Then on sat. 4 match play matches to determine the 4 that move onto sunday. (Seedings for match play are determined by 1st 2 rounds; however, who moves on from 3rd round is based solely on saturday match play). Then, Sunday, how bout a foursome with the whole crowd following them and best stroke score wins the title.
jrbizzle says:
If the points will not matter once the playoffs start, than you'll see even less of the pros during the regular season.
mmontisano says:
didn't we have this same conversation last year? and the year before that?
TeT says:
Am I the only one who is OK with the FedEx as is... I don't even care that it runs against football for a couple weeks.
I like stroke Play...
You wanna fix something, fix the BCS. Umm wait, Im Ok with that one also.
Here you go, fix our government.... the whole lot of em' are a bunch of crackpots.
erickbelus says:
The #1 has a mathematical shot. If the #125 has the best 4 weeks of his life, he has a shot. It works out to guys at the top being rewarded for a great year and guys at the bottom having a look at it if they absolutely kill the rest of the field. Is it a perfect system? Probably not, but it at least has made September golf somewhat interesting.
RyanLigon says:
I'm ok with the points the way they are because I want to see the good guys that have played well all season in week 4. They have a better chance of putting on a good product. If someone in the 100s plays well enough, they'll make it and that'll be fun to watch if it happens.

I do want to see more match play, so anywhere they can add it to the schedule, I'm all for it.
jdhowens says:
I too think that the schedule could definitely use more matchplay. I've always thought the PGA Championship could use it to stop it feeling so much like 'the fourth major'. If they did two matchplay rounds to cut the field down, and then the remaining golfers played two strokeplay rounds to determine the victor, I think it would add some real excitement, and be a unique test in a way that it perhaps isn't now.