First Annual oobgolf Awards
Without further ado, here are the First Annual oobgolf Awards!
- The Next Tiger Woods: Lexi Thompson. The 16-year-old talent had a big year in 2011. She won her first professional event at the Navistar LPGA Classic, successfully earned her LPGA tour card despite the minimum age requirement and delighted fans on the Ladies European Tour en route to second professional victory at the Dubai Ladies Masters. Oh, and did I mention she set two records along the way? Youngest to win on both the LPGA and Ladies European Tour.
- Rookie of the Year: John Daly. I used the word "rookie" sarcastically for this award. Twice in 2011, the University of Arkansas standout made rookie mistakes that angered him to the point where he decided to quit. At the Austrian Open, he dropped his ball in the wrong spot and was assessed a two stroke penalty for his mistake. He finished the hole and withdrew. At the Australian Open, he played the wrong ball from the bunker and was assessed a two stroke penalty. He proceeded to pull a Tin Cup and emptied his bag of balls into the water and quit. As the Monday Night Football Countdown guys like to say, "Come on man!"
- People's Choice: Yani Tseng. Do I really need to explain this one? The 22-year-old won 12 times in 2011 - 'nuff said. I hope Lexi can give Yani a run for her money in 2012 because nobody else on the LPGA seems to be on the same level as the Taiwan native.
- GoW of the Year: Jason "legitimatebeef" Won. Based on the analytics and the number of comments his GoW profile received, legitimatebeef is the best GoW in 2011. If you are a regular on oob, then you've probably seen him around once or twice. His witty, sarcastic and often spot on opinions help make oob the best golf community on the Internets. As the winner, he'll receive a FREE Addict+ membership.
- Best Performance of the Year: Rory McIlroy. After his back nine collapse at The Masters, many thought it would take the Northern Irishman years (if not longer) to bounce back mentally from the heart break he suffered at Augusta National to win his first major. But, Rors bounced back at the very next major - the U.S. Open at Congressional - to silence his critics (at least momentarily). Not only did he win, but he won big and set 12 records along the way.
- Story of the Year: oobgolf Passes Q-School. Charlie "CBeljan" Beljan is the first oobgolf (that I know of) to earn his PGA Tour card. How cool is that!?! I've tried contacting him to see if we can feature him on the site somehow, but he hasn't returned my emails. Hopefully he doesn't forget where he came from now that he's a big shot!
- Guest Columnist of the Year: Brian "bkuehn1952" Kuehn. In just over a year, Brian submitted 29 guest columns to us to run - that's like a gazillion more than the next closest person. We love all of our guest columnist at oob, but we have a special place in our heart for bkuehn1952. Yo, Brian, when your Addict subscription runs out, holla at me for a free upgrade!
- Player of the Year: Luke Donald. The Englishman delighted fans all season long - on multiple continents - with one top 10 finish after another. Luke was a busy man in 2011. He won four times around the world, he won the Player of the Year awards on the PGA Tour and European Tour (and the PGA of America award him its POY award), won the money title on both tours (first time ever) and earned the top spot on the Official World Golf Ranking. And the highlight of his year? Meeting me at the Mizuno Media Day - duh!
[ comments ]
The only one I have issue with is the next Tiger Woods. I think the next TW is going to be TW.
I am thrilled to be named 2011 Golfer of the Week of the Year, alongside names like Yani Tseng and Rory. Wow. I always felt that in the microcosm of golf someone like myself ranks barely above pond scum but I think after winning an award like this I've advanced to somewhere around the level of a mosquito.
Also the saying goes "without further ado". adieu is french for "goodbye". Nobody I know bungles an idiom quite like young Nathan. It's some kind of talent almost.
SOB! I even Googled it!
Wow, mentioned in the same posting as Luke Donald, "The Beef", Yani Tseng and Rory McIlroy. Frankly, I am slightly giddy from the adrenaline rush. I wood right moore butt I think I better stop fore now and regain my composure. Before I say adieu, however, I want to thank Nathan and Oob for this wonderful award.
What? No award for PLAYER?
People's Choice and Player of the Year should be switched.
Not only did Yani get snubbed by the AP and Sport's Illustrated, but on Oob too. Poor girl can't catch a break.
[ post comment ]