7 Mistakes Most Golfers Make When Trying to Lose Weight
By thinforlife on 1/5/12
Larry "thinforlife" Jacobs is a top food and weight loss coach and he has worked with several prominent golfers including Fred Funk and Allen Doyle. A few weeks back, he contacted oobgolf because he wanted to share his tips with us on how to get the most of the 2012 golf season. So I thought, what the heck, let's hear him out. Over the next seven weeks, he'll share his seven tips to help you lose weight and get in shape. You can find more from Larry on his website thingolfer.com. Enjoy!

You can reach your Weight, Health and Fitness goals in the New Year, whether you want to lose weight, get fit, eat healthy or simply just feel better by avoiding the 7 biggest mistakes most golfers make when trying to lose weight and get into shape.

Mistake #1 - Counting Calories and Eating Less or going on a diet at all.

Diets don’t work and I will elaborate below.

Why Diets Make You Fatter

Let me share something with you that not many people know. It may shock you, but I promise you that after this you will never go on a diet again. Diets restrict calories. That’s the point. But no one can stay on a calorie-restricted diet forever. Therefore, any weight that you “lose” on a diet is only temporary.

When you go on a diet, your body slows down the rate at which it burns energy (your “metabolism”) in order to save you from the starvation of the diet itself. And when you go off the diet, which inevitably happens because no human can eat just cabbage soup or protein shakes or red meat for any length of time.

You automatically go back to your old eating habits. Unfortunately, your metabolism is now MUCH slower (because you were just on a diet) and now you’re putting on more weight than you were before.

And here’s the absolute worst part. When you lose “weight” on your “diet” you lost it mostly from muscle and water. Less than half of your weight loss is actually body fat.

Now, muscle and water weigh a lot, so the scale says you’re doing fine. But when you finally get hungry, tired, frustrated, and fed up, and you go off the diet, the weight comes back. And the weight you regain comes back on mostly as body fat.

Do you believe this? You went on a diet to lose weight, and you ended up with even more fat than when you started.

Sadly, that’s the case for so many people who do fad diets. That’s why their weight “yo-yos” all over the place. And that’s why they can never keep the weight off.

If you’ve been on a lot of diets (the yo-yo diet syndrome) you’re even worse off, because this just accelerates the above problems by continuing to slow down the rate at which you burn fat to the point where it feels like you’ll never be able to get it off again! Since the quality of weight you gained back is primarily body fat… Most people who’ve been on lots of diets, are bigger now than they’ve ever been!

The ONLY Solution Is...

To turn yourself into a lean, fat-burning machine. But you’re not going to do it by dieting. And it’s certainly not going to happen by sitting around and doing nothing.

Nope, to accomplish this you will need to learn how to Eat Clean and Get Active. Remember it's not how much you eat...it's WHAT you eat that matters MOST.

Stay tuned for Mistake #2.

This was written by Larry Jacobs, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. You can find more from Larry on his website thingolfer.com. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

photo by didbygraham

[ comments ]
EXCELLENT POST! This goes for people in general and not just golfers! You have to eat, and you have to eat balanced. The BEST thing to do is to eat small meals during the day 4-5 times a day. Some of us can't do that but the closer you can get to that, the better for losing weight and keeping metabolism up. Myself, i eat breakfast, then around 10am i have a fruit or light snack (bananas and apples are good for this) then a lunch around 12:30-1:00. Maybe a small side salad in the early afternoon if i'm hungry, then dinner. every 3-4 hours. I don't let my body get into the "starvation mode". We've all been "oh i'm sooo hungry!!!" but then it goes away and you're ok for a while. Newsflash, that's your body going into starvation mode. Anything you put in at that point is going to have more allotted to storage (fat) than if you would have eaten when you felt hungry. Great article, Larry!
homermania says:
Getting skinny didn't help John Daly.
BAKE_DAWG40 says:
@birdie, exactly right. That's what I do to lose weight. Cutting back on beer is definitely a plus also. Losing weight is my New Year's Resolution.
jarick098 says:
when comedians get skinny they become less funny. i think it's the same for golfers.
looking forward to your future posts!
joe jones says:
I payed with a guy years ago that had a belly so big that when he could see the ball he couldn't hit it and when he could hit it he couldn't see it. He also happened to be our club champ 7 times. The heavier he got the flatter his swing got.
GolfSmith7 says:
I eat only a whole foods plant based diet and I can eat as much as I want, stuff myself and I still maintain my weight of 175 which slim and trim for me without worrying about clogging my arteries with other junk. I agree that diets never work so if you are trying to lose weight eat a whole foods plant based diet and you can eat as much as you want and lose the weight as well. Watch this trailer; www.forksoverknives.com/
ponderous says:
All things in moderation.

... including moderation.
sjduffers says:
I have done what is suggested in the article (and confirmed by BirdieXris) in the last year and half or so, and managed to lose 45 lbs, effortlessly it seems (down from 232 to 187). The holiday season has been bad I have put on about 5 back, but they will come off soon, I know it.

The secret seems to never eat less than your basic metabolic rate (BMR) to avoid putting your body in starvation mode where muscle is lost and the cycle described happens. Still, you can't expect to lose weight if you overeat and don't move much. Calories counting is not a bad thing per se, but count the exercised calories as well and that gives you a bit more room to create a calorie deficit while still eating comfortably over the BMR. For a great way to track this, I recommend the web site loseit.com (also has apps for mobile phones).
sjduffers says:
The idea is to create a deficit of for example 500 calories per day, which equates to 3500 calories a week, which means one pound of fat loss. But you do this not by eating 1500 cals a day but by eating 2000 cals and exercising 500, as an example. It works!

On the golf front, I'll say that simply walking (carrying or even pushing a cart like I do) instead of riding all the time can not only increase your awareness of the game and being in the zone much better, but it also does wonders for your fitness (and weight loss). Try it. Best thing I ever did!
nickmomrik says:
Crash dieting never works in the long run. You have to change your diet (by definition it's what you eat) and eat cleaner as the Larry mentions. I've changed to eating about 80-90% Paleo for 2 months now and I feel great. I don't get the cravings for all of the junk either anymore.
Larry needs to enter some golf scores before I'd consider him an oober.
Mr_X says:
Golfsmith7 - I saw "Forks Over Knives" at a Whole Foods last weekend. It is a very enlightening movie. My wife and I are going to try a whole food plant based diet for 2 weeks. I will share my experience when it is complete. Thanks for the recommendation!