Mistake 2
By thinforlife on 1/11/12
Larry "thinforlife" Jacobs is a top food and weight loss coach and he has worked with several prominent golfers including Fred Funk and Allen Doyle. A few weeks back, he contacted oobgolf because he wanted to share his tips with us on how to get the most of the 2012 golf season. So I thought, what the heck, let's hear him out. Over the next seven weeks, he'll share his seven tips to help you lose weight and get in shape. You can find more from Larry on his website thingolfer.com. Enjoy!

You can reach your Weight, Health and Fitness goals in the New Year, whether you want to lose weight, get fit, eat healthy or simply just feel better by avoiding the 7 biggest mistakes most golfers make when trying to lose weight and get into shape (read mistake 1 here).

Mistake #2 - Using a scale to measure success. It sounds counterintuitive but it's right on the money and here's why.

Think about it, the scale is just a just a partial barometer of how you're doing. We are all so caught up into the weight, the pounds, and the calories. To me it's just a bunch of dieter’s mathematical gobbleegook (and believe me, it’s a bankrupt strategy).

Fat takes up a lot more room on your body than muscle.

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat but doesn't take up as much room.

On my Weight Loss for Golfers Program you will Increase your Lean Muscle Tissue and you'll burn fat. In fact, the more muscle tissue you have, the more fat you are able to burn.

So the scale may not give you the feedback that you want. (eg: In your first 2 weeks you gain 4 pounds of muscle and lose 9 pounds of fat and the scales just shows you a net loss of a measly 5 pounds.

Yet in fact you are noticeably smaller and well on your way. So why would you want to torture yourself on a daily ritual of using a contraption that just makes you feel bad about yourself?

So I'm recommending to anyone that’s reading this, if you got a scale throw it away or at least put it away.

The only time you want to get on a scale is if you want to get a baseline as to where you are starting from or what your body fat percentage is. The scale can be helpful for that.

A better gauge of your success is size and body fat percentage.
The best way to determine how you're doing is how do your clothes fit?

What does the tape measure say? How do you look in the mirror? Are you smaller? Is there less of you there?

If you are getting smaller and your clothes are fitting looser and you look better in the mirror and feel better: You are succeeding!

Keep it up.

If you're a man and you're wearing a size 44 waist and you'd like to be a 36 do you really care what you're going to weigh when you get to a 36?

I don't think so. The answer should be no.

Whatever size you are, just start by picking a goal size that you'd like to be. (It’s all relative—you are what you are and you want to be what you want to be)

If you have a lot to lose, pick an interim size as an interim goal too.

And start moving in the right direction. You can always adjust.
Because in this game size matters and it's all about getting smaller.

When someone notices that you have lost a lot of weight they don't go around trying to figure out what you weigh. Nope. They notice it because there is a LOT LESS OF YOU THERE. So pick a size not a weight.

Remember Unlike Golf...

This is a game you can WIN, by shooting even par, under par, or a little over par just about every day of your life.

Stay tuned for Mistake #3.

This was written by Larry Jacobs, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. You can find more from Larry on his website thingolfer.com. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

photo by puuikibeach

[ comments ]
Dusty23 says:
I've weighed myself once a week for a long time, a carryover from when my wife and I tried Weight watchers several years back. while I always hope to see a pound less, I am usually happy if its the same as last time. I've always thought as Larry writes that that if my goal was to lose 20, I should aim for 25 figuring that with a weight workout I'll pick up some muscle weight. Good info, looking forward to next installment
cscovil says:
Good article. I use the scale to see if I'm gaining or losing to rapidly. Sometimes medication, I had to do some rounds of chemo, can create rapid weight changes. But, overall, when my clothes don't fit...I have an idea where I'm at and what I need to do.
Mr_X says:
Larry, I disagree with your statement that using a scale to measure one's success in losing weight is a mistake. I will use myself as an example. I was almost 280 lbs before Thanksgiving. I made a commitment to shed 40 lbs by May. I will reach that goal by a combination of cardio, stretching and weight training. Yes, upon starting any exercise program people will increase there muscle mass while losing fat. Because of density issues, those numbers may be confusing; but they are accurate. Recording weight loss is like recording a golf score - you may not like your number, but that number does not lie. If you want a single digit handicap, don't shoot double bogies. Simple math! The same is true for a weight loss goal. If one does not accurately measure their progress they are simply deluding themselves.
Mr_X says:
You suggest using the fit of one's clothes or a tape measure as a benchmark. The problem I see with those indicators is they lack detail to track incremental improvements. If I lose 2.5 pounds in a week as a 275 pound man, those pounds are not going to show in my waistline. I know because I have lost the weight and it did not show up in how my pants fit. (Incidentally, I use a rowing machine about 4 hours a week. My waist increased in size for the first month because my back and core muscles grew. I was thicker and had less fat.)
Mr_X says:
In 6 months I will probably drop 4 inches off my waist, but that is over 180 days. Those pants sizes will be visible accomplishments spread apart every couple months! Larry if you are golfer, could you imagine playing 18 holes of golf where par was not listed on the scorecard? Hell, this course wouldn’t even provide score cards! There would be no yardage markers on the tee boxes, or the fairways. You only find out what par is after the round is over! Larry, you are promoting a program for weight loss – but you don’t want people to record their weight!! That's absurd! Whether you are talking about golf, physical fitness, financial success or anything for that matter, one can only make continued progress by tracking measurable results. You can only measure weight with a scale! Should you hop on the scale daily? No. But you need to track the data. I weigh myself weekly to track my progress.
windowsurfer says:
I always had lots of activity, high metabolism, big appetite. Having lost some of that magic metabolism, I was not in balance; slowly losing strength and endurance, getting pudgy. Put the exercise level high - felt better, but still not the results I wanted. Doctor gave me a shot 'cross the bow and I fixed diet. Cut out most fatty red meat and ate almost zero fast food (Subway veggie instead), upped the fruit + veggies, lots of fish, whole grains only for bread + cereal (which I live for; daddy loves the carbs), no more chips, cut out a lot of sugar (no mo ice cream, bars, sweet snacks), switched to lo-ball beer. Better, but STILL not good enuf. Sheesh! Got pissed off. Added Nutrim to fight cholesterol, flax & hemp seed to the routine and I am getting back some muscle, reducing body fat, reducing waist size - even if I fall off the no-chips-during-the-hockey-game wagon now and then! That Nutrim stuff may not be total snake oil - it appears to be the wild card for me, about a year in. Any thots on it Mr. J?
guzzlingil says:
I weigh everyday....

in the morning....
thinforlife says:
Hello Mr X, (looks like we struck a cord with you--very thoughtful debate on your part)
Let me start by saying a couple of things...
1. I have no intention of getting into a P^ssing contest with you.
We obviously disagree and that's fine and I will not try and change YOUR mind.
2. There are almost always exceptions--and in your case (seemingly a thoughtful analytical type,
the scale WORKS for you. Fine with me and good for you.
In regard to your statement..."If one does not accurately measure their progress they are simply deluding themselves."
and your statement..." Larry, you are promoting a program for weight loss – but you don’t want people to record their weight!! That's absurd! ...You can only measure weight with a scale! "
Not everything is that simple and there are many other ways to measure ones progress without a scale.
Fitness levels, body fat percentage, body size, shape, and how you look in the mirror, tape measure, how your clothes fit, blood pressure, blood sugar, labs,
thinforlife says:
energy level--coming down the 18th fairway as strong as you felt on the first. etc
Remember Mr X-- Your body is not a bank account (eg: calories in--deposits, calories out withdrawls-Eat Less--Exercise More)
Why? Because not all calories are created equal--but that's another debate for another day:-) And if that stuff actually worked
we would not be plagued with 7 out of 10 us golfers being overweight and out of shape.
Hmm let's see I want to go from a 41 waist pant to a 35 and I now comfortably fit into the 35...my blood pressure is down, I feel better and am sleeping better, I've got lots more energy, my labs are better and my Doctor wants to know what the heck I've been doing because he's decided to reduce or discontinue my meds. (and he quietly chuckles that he has high cholesterol and needs to lose a few himself)
Is that not measurable progress? Does it matter what the scale says? Not to me
Gotta get back to my dinner.
Thin to Win,
thinforlife says:
Hey windowsurfer not familiar with the nutrim, but your food plan sounds pretty good. That "Magic Metab" slows down over time :-( yet I find it amazing what you can accomplish with a few "high tech tools" like a knife, a fork, a pair of sneakers and the RIGHT roadmap. Thin to Win!
BAKE_DAWG40 says:
I've always weighed myself when dieting. What you're saying does make sense to me.
Mr_X says:
Larry, thank you for you response. I do not disagree with you that there are many ways to measure ones progress with regard to health and well being which do not involve a scale. I agree that your health is not the number of pounds you weigh. But your articles are titled "7 Mistakes Most Golfers Make When Trying to Lose Weight". The key words that jump out at me are golfers and weight loss. Are you considering your subject and your audience in your posts?
Mr_X says:
I am our audience. Golfing is my addiction. I swing a golf club dozens of times every day. I have a putter and a wedge in my office at work which I have owned for 3 years and have never left my office once. The books I read are about golf. My DVR is filled with golf. I am a high handicapper who could stand to lose a few pounds. Like everyone else on this website, I want to improve my scoring ability. Currently, I track 9 bits of information on every hole I play.
Mr_X says:
Greens in Regulation
Sand Saves
Up & Downs
Shots over 100 yards
Shots under 100 yards
Mr_X says:
If you look at the most of the people on OOB, they track their golfing performance. Some are very religious about it. Golfers of every skill, except beginners, level track hard numbers all the time. Your audience is made of mostly of men who track performance stats. Yes, it would be great if everyone went to the doctor regularly to track their blood pressure, blood sugar levels, cholesterol and body fat levels. Those hard numbers are very valuable. But how often do we have blood work done? Annually? Remember, your audience is men. Men don’t go to physicians regularly, let alone have all of test you have listed when they do go.

The changes you made to your health Larry are impressive. Those results were probably achieved after many months. What specific tracking data would you recommend using to record your progress that did not involve a scale or a medical office?
KVSmith59 says:
scales are ok, but I can see how they could work against you too, i.e., you're trying a certain diet and because you're not dropping weight quick enough, you think the diet isn't working and you give up. However, if you had stuck to that diet, eventually the weight would have started coming off. Also, in regards to weight, the standards state I should weight X amount, when in reality that number seems way low to me and I'm more comfortable at X+10lbs. I think of the two, BMI is more important than weight...just my op
Mr_X says:
KVSmith - I agree that Body Mass Index is more important than weight alone, but you cannot calculate BMI without getting on a scale.
Matt F says:
I think the BMI is the biggest load of crap known to man. My Doctor and I are the same height, therefore, we should be the same weight. According to everything we should then have the same BMI and if we don't, then I'm obese...but that doesn't account for the fact that I am a bigger build than he is. If I did in fact weight exactly the same as my Doctor, my BMI would still be high due to the fact that my shoulders are half (realistically) as big again as his.

Even he says that BMI alone should not be used.
KVSmith59 says:
LOL. Keeping track of any of it is probably a load of crap, but in order to stay motivated you have to have some sort of gauge of how you are doing. Before I became extremely lazy, I was doing P90X and tracking weight, BMI, and waist, arm, leg size. It was a motivator to see them dropping. Just use what's best for YOU and you'll be ok
The mistake is simply "trying to lose weight." You should be "trying to get healthy." For many of us, it's not just a new fad diet, or trying to go to the gym, or exercise more, it's a lifestyle change. Grilling chicken at home instead of stopping for pizza on the way. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or escalator. The simple fact is that "diets" don't work, unless you're planning on doing it for the rest of your life.

There is only one real barometer for wether or not something is working... and that is how YOU FEEL. Everything else is just window dressing.