3 Things I Am Happy About Following The PGA Championship
By mustang6560 on 8/13/12
Rory McIlroy won his second major championship Sunday at the 94th PGA Championship by a record eight strokes. There were several things that made me happy watching the final round at The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Resort, but I picked the top three to share with you on oobgolf.
  1. Parity is over, at least for now! I was getting really tired of the first-time major winner storyline. It's nice to see someone who was supposed to win actually win a major championship. It was nice to see Bubba Watson win at The Masters, Webb Simpson win at the U.S. Open, and Ernie Els win at The Open Championship, however, none of them were expected to win. Bubba and Webb were first-time winners and Ernie, well, the golf world was ready to write him off before he triumphed at Royal Lytham thanks to an Adam Scott collapse. Rory, like Tiger Woods, is expected to win, so when he does, it makes it that much more impressive.

2. The media can quit blaming Wozzilroy. Following his victory at the U.S. Open at Congressional last June, Rory started dating tennis star Caroline Wozniacki. At first, the media was happy for Wozzilroy. But, as soon as he started missing cuts earlier this year, several writers were saying that Rory's relationship with Caroline was hurting his game, and some even went as far as to suggest that if he wants to be the GOAT (greatest of all time), he should consider ending the relationship. With a second major championship in the bag four months before Tiger won his second, no one should be questioning Rory's relationship - no one!

3. The future of golf looks as strong as ever. Is Rory McIlroy the next Tiger Woods? Only time will tell. And in the meantime, we're going to be treated to some great golf. Rory put on a clinic Sunday at The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and it was a sight to behold. Golf needs someone like Rory who can capture the attention of the average sports fan to tune into golf. Regardless of Tiger's place in the history books, he is eventually going to get old and we need someone to assume his role as golf's most exciting player. And I believe we have that with Rory. After all, Rory did wear Victory Red Sunday. Was it a symbol of the changing of the guards?
What made you happy about the PGA Championship?

Have an idea for a guest column? Send it here!

Image via Flickr, Keith Allison

[ comments ]
GolfSmith7 says:
I enjoyed seeing dominance on the golf course like the old Tiger days, it makes for very compelling golf. Happy for Rory!
8/13/12

@mustang6560: Did you happen to notice who did a smack down on everyone entered in ESPN's Best Ball Major Challenge?

I must bow down to the master of fantasy best ball selection. ;)
8/13/12

GolfSmith7 says:
@bkuehn1952, I bet he noticed and will tell us all about it later lol
8/13/12

I'm upset because my internet went out this weekend and i couldn't change my rosters. I actually thought about going into the office and using the work computers haha.
8/13/12

@GolfSmith7: Yes, I suspect mustang is on top of this fast breaking story. Now if mustang only had a hole-in-one story to share, too, that would be really special.
8/13/12

mustang6560 says:
Of course I noticed :)
8/13/12

joe jones says:
Rory seems to be destined to be the next best thing on the tour. If so, that is wonderful for golf fans. I just hope people learn to just appreciate his talent & learn to enjoy him while he is around. Lets not agonize over the vagaries and ups and downs that every golfer suffer. Rare talents come by once in a while. Lets hope he lasts.
8/13/12

bducharm says:
Is it too early to say that Rory breaks Jack's record???
8/13/12

SpaceMaNy0 says:
You mean Tiger's record? hhahahahahahah
8/13/12

Torleif Sorenson says:
On Sunday morning, I wrote elsewhere that I thought Rory would win, but I thought he would have to go to a playoff to get it. Confidence can be a scary thing; witness his 20-something-footer for birdie at the last.
8/13/12

It is good to see someone separate from the pack. Rory is an exceptional player, his drivin and 3-woodin in particular are awesome. He has every shot in the bag really. Certainly looks to have the talent to challenge major records but even if he does turn out to be the next Tiger let's face it pro golf will be a more boring place for it. Tiger's back story and everything was one of a kind sports story as well as cultural story, Rory in the grand scheme of things, just another white kid from a country club.
8/13/12

mustang6560 says:
@legitimatebeef- I don't think it's fair to say Rory is "just another white kid from a country club". The parents of white kids from country clubs don't work two jobs to provide for their white country club kid.
8/14/12