Did you accomplish your goal(s) in 2012?
By mustang6560 on 12/10/12
It's that time of year again; it's time to publicly reflect on our golfing accomplishments of this season and set our sights on the future.

Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to ask a series of end-of-the-year questions. We encourage every oober to participate in the discussion. The more responses the better. Here is the first question.

Did you accomplish your goal(s) in 2012?

I'll go first. I set two goals for 2012 and I'm happy to report (as some of you already know) that I accomplished both goals. I broke 80 for the first time in my golfing career and I made it through a round at Deerfield without three-putting.

Your turn.

Have an idea for an end-of-the-year question? Email us!

[ comments ]
i Did not make my goals. I fell short by 1 stroke on my Handicap index.
12/10/12

I didn't play enough to even think about any goals I may have set out at the beginning of the year. Just getting to play was an achievement.

bobhooe says:
Yes, got my index under 10 for the first time. 6.7 with an 83.2 avg. over the last 20 rounds.

GBogey says:
A little mixed: I went from a 14 to a 10 with the goal of 11, so that was great, and unexpectedly broke 80 twice. The downside is that I really struggled the last six weeks of the season before it got too cold and wet, so I am left with 3 months of feeling that my game is trending negative. Not good, have never had this before as I usually am able to finish the fall on an up note.

GolfSmith7 says:
I reached one of two goals I lowered my handicap to 6 which is the lowest its ever been but I didn't make my goal of breaking 80 as a scoring average. I am currently at 82.2

Panerai111 says:
My goals were to break 80, get to a single digit handicap. I did both, but my handicap went above 11 at the end of the season. I did get a hole in one though. So I can be that mad. lol

jfurr says:
Goals were: 1) index of 10.0 or better, 2) break 80 on par 72 course, 3) even par for 9 holes. No, No, and No. Close, but didn't get there... and now recently my play is getting erratic so I guess those are my goals for 2013 again too...

dottomm says:
My goals were to break 90 and double the number of birdies I made last year (6). I shot my lowest score early in the year (85 in March) and right now one birdie short (11 so far) of doubling last years count. After a really long year of poor golf, I'm playing really well again, so I've set a new goal of breaking 90 one more time this year. I've still got 21 days to do it and three tee times scheduled. Wish me luck.

GolfSmith7 says:
Ha on closer inspection I didn't reach either of my goals, lol I looked up our goals set from last years post and I said I wanted a handicap in the 5's I have a couple of more rounds to play to get it there lol interesting.

hughesj says:
Got into golf late in my life (age 40) as this having been my first year playing, certainly didn't know what I was missing. Played about 24 full rounds and have improved much from the beginning of the year. My one goal was to break 100 this year, and likely could've at some easier courses I've played in which my best was a 104. Seem to have plateaued at about 110 a round on a moderate course. My driving has been the worse and tend to miss-hit my irons and wedges from time to time, but the good thing is I'm finally "feeling" what it is I did wrong.

So my goal of breaking 100 will continue into 2013, but will get additional lessons to help fix my issues. The positive is, I did get at least one birdie in all those rounds!

accarson3 says:
My goals for 2012 were to break 90 more than once and drop my handicap to below 20. I was able to break 90 6 times in 2012 vs once in 2011. On the oob handicap tracker, my handicap dropped below 20 several times during the year. My "official" handicap with USGA (VSGA) on my "home" course has been around 17 for most of the year. Also using the oob course stats, I compared 2011 and 2012 on the course I play the most - avg score dropped 4 shots; avg putts dropped about 1.5 per round; and fairways hit went up around 3 percentage points...nothing dramatic but at least it shows some improvement. Next year's goals...avg score closer to 90 or less, break 80 at least once and keep handicap in mid teens. (When does it get warm again?)
12/10/12

I did not publicly commit to any goals when mustang6560 asked the question back in November, 2011. I am terrible with following through. Privately I wrote down several items: get fitted for a driver, increase my GIR (was at about 42%) by the equivalent of 1 more hole per round (47.6%) and reduce my putts per round by 1 stroke (from about 33 to 32). I haven't been fitted yet but I plan on it before the end of the year. If I do I can reward myself with a new driver. The GIR is pretty much the same as a year ago but since 8/1/2012, when I adopted an idea from Erika Larkin, my GIR surged upward and almost matched my goal (47.2% since 8/1). Time will tell if it sticks. Finally, I made a putter and putting attitude change on 7/4 and when I last calculated my putts I had dropped .44 putts per round since the change. Not the full stroke I wanted but headed in the right direction - kudos to legitimatebeef for planting the idea.

Dusty23 says:
My HDCP index dropped 3.7 strokes, so that was achieved (had hoped to drop 1.5) and while across the board there were improvements in percentages for GIR, FW's Hit, etc. They weren't as low as hoped for. Overall though I did see improvement though so I guess you could say that I reached my goals to improve in all areas of my game. Of course, didn't lose that 20 lbs, but I didn't gain any either.

Spaceman_Spiff says:
I had some pretty unrealistic goals
1.Bring my 20 cap down to a 10,
2.win an event on the Golfweek AmTour and
3.practice everyday with a "100 swings a day" minimum.

1.The first was unrealistic, but I did bring it down from 20 to a 16.
2.I came close but we all know how that goes. In 7 events I had 3 2nd place and 3 3rd place finishes. One 2nd place finish was a 1 stroke loss.
3.I did actually pretty well with the 3rd, and from January through August I said I accomplished this with maybe missing 10 days total. Then in September I definitely did not keep up, and only in December have I truly picked it back up again.

I'll probably keep the same goals for 2013...

Frank84 says:
I just started playing two months ago toward the end of summer (wish I started at the beginning). My goal for the year was to break 100 at least once. I haven't been able to do it yet, but I feel like I am getting closer with a few weeks left in the year. Either way I feel like I have improved quite a bit. I'll definitely grab a lesson during the winter and work on my atrocious chipping skills.

windowsurfer says:
Best golf year ever. 121 recorded rounds + counting. HC down 2, first eagle ever, first Hole-in-One ever, played Bandon Dunes & Chambers Bay and one of my fav courses in the midwest, Wildflower. Became a club-builder. Broke 80 repeatedly. Played regularly with as cordial a group of broke-down, alcoholic reprobates and horsesh*tters as exist on this side of St. Andrews.

Wes11point5 says:
If my goal had been to play as poorly as I ever have, add a couple of strokes to my handicap, feel completely shell shocked all through the season and lose the desire to play almost completely, then YES. Mission accomplished.

jpjeffery says:
My only explicitly defined goal was to break 100 for the first time.

/fail

BUT, I am hitting the ball better, far less fat and thin shots and I was starting to get consistent distance off the tee, so in a way the implicitly defined goal of improving was achieved.

Oh, I feel quite good about my game now!

If only my Addict subscription would actually make my GPS work again...Nathan!?

joe jones says:
Still trying to shoot my age or better. I have 3 more rounds this year but until April to shoot 79. If I don't , this will be my third year in a row I didn't.Hopefully it might get easier as I get older. Might be wishful thinking.

Torleif Sorenson says:
I've already written about having gotten to play more golf (15 holes) this year than at any time since April of 2003 at the Paiute Golf Resort. Now the vehicle might be happening relatively soon.

And I especially appreciate all the kinds words from you, my fellow oobers, in that piece:

www.oobgolf.com/content/columns/1-6284-Winding_d

sjduffers says:
I met the goal of dropping the handicap to 12 (low was 12.2), from around 15, but it's creeping back up now, with the tougher conditions...

I failed to break 80 but I did score 80 on the nose once this year, and with a round of 83 including a blow-up hole at 11 on a tough par 5, I got to post a 79 after factoring ESC (11 reduced to 7). Next up, the real thing!

I also failed to increased the GIRs percentage to 1/3 (33.33%) but came close at one point (just under 30%): of course that is trending the other way now too. But my short game has improved considerably, as well as my putting, so I am ok with all that! :)
12/10/12

If memory serves me I didn't make specific goals. I know that is probably taboo among the golf improvement community but in the past I've set some goals and I haven't liked what it did to me. I don't want to be out on the course obsessively chasing down goals, not right now. I think, for a recreational golfer, I am already plenty intense so I don't need a whole lot of motivation when I'm out there. However in a broad sense the goal of improvement is perpetual. In that respect I did achieve somewhat. I broke 80 on a tough course that has tormented me, I got my GIR avg up near 40% and whittled the cap down below seven. It flared up again by seasons end but looking at the bottom line I'm probably a better golfer than a year ago.
12/11/12

mmontisano says:
kinda. i broke out of my 2010/2011 slump and got my handicap back down to where it was when i moved to Asia, so i'm happy about that. the high scores still rear their ugly head every once in a while though.

my GIR stat has gone up, but my putting is still holding me back.
12/11/12

DougE says:
Goal was for 100 rounds. As of today, 138 rounds played and still have tee times for this weekend scheduled. Hell, it's gonna be 45 degrees today. May make 139 by end of day.
12/11/12

SteveMM says:
I can't find the goals post for this year, but even without looking at it I know that I didn't even come close. I'm in no better shape right now in terms of handicap or consistency than I was at this time last year.
12/11/12

srogers13 says:
I don't make specific golf goals, just for the fact that it tends to make me get out of the moment for golf, and sort of press more. As far as accomplishments this year, I got my first eagle this year, and followed it up with three more. I also broke 80 for the second time in my life.
12/11/12

SpaceMaNy0 says:
I can barely remember yesterday, let alone early in the year when I set goals. I did play a lot this year and have seen vast improvement in my game. Driver got much better, duffs went down. I broke 90 consistently on par 72s, at least the less challenging courses. Got a few eagles and over 100 birdies. My goal for the rest of my career is a hole-in-one now. When that happens EVERYONE will know.
12/11/12

Bryan K says:
My goal was to be shooting under 90 consistently. Four of my last ten rounds have been 90 or better including my last two. I've never golfed sub-90 rounds consecutively before, so I'd have to say yes.
12/11/12

Duke of Hazards says:
i set 3 goals for the 1st half of 2012 and 3 for the 2nd.

1st half (Jan 1-Jun 30): Play 12 rounds (no, played 10). Break 100 3x (yes, 6x). Reduce 3-putt% from 34.8% down to 24.8% (no, 31.1%).

2nd half: (July 1-Dec 31): Play 12 rounds (yes, 11 so far and playing next week). Break 90 (yes, 2x). Increase FW% from 45.7% to 55.7% (no, 41.0%)

I'm satisfied overall. I've logged 50 scores now, and would like to add to that number.
12/11/12

jfurr says:
Congrats to all the oobers who met their goals this year.
12/11/12

eabaskervill says:
This year I accomplished my goal of simply playing and practicing more, finally breaking 100. In 2013 I hope to break 90, average under 2 putts a hole, and average 40% fairways. Congrats to all and good luck in 2013.
12/11/12

windowsurfer says:
@ spaceman_spiff: "3.practice everyday with a "100 swings a day" minimum." tres Malcolm Gladwell. Do you connect some discipline, measure or objective to the 100, or is it groove/muscle memory deal? Are you worried about grooving a bad habit - I guess is what I'm askin.
12/12/12

Virtuaframax says:
I set up one goal, which was getting down to a 12 hdc. Ended up getting it down to a 10.7 index.
I didn't set to break 80s as a specific goal, but always been in the back of my mind... ended up doing it when less expected!!

2013 goal is single digit and play with more consistency in my game.
12/12/12

golfingbumunderpar64 says:
Yep. Had a bogey free rd at my home course, hit the 0 mark on hcp and fired my career rd of 7 under. Going for 8 next year.
12/12/12

larrynjr says:
I know I posted somewhere on here what my goals were but apparently not in the 2011 question about this. I'm pretty sure my goals were to break 90 and drop my index to under 20. Both were accomplished this year, even though I have had an abismal personal life this year and didn't play nearly as much I as hoped to. I broke 90 6 times with a low 18 hole score and low 9 hole score of 38 (2 over par). My handicap started at 24 and finished at 18.3. Overall, I'm very happy with my progress.
12/13/12