What was your favorite golf memory of 2012?
By mustang6560 on 12/18/12
We're three questions into our end-of-the-season question series. So far we've asked, Did you accomplish your goal(s) in 2012, Have you set a goal for next season?, and What was your favorite oobgolf guest column of the year?. It's time for the fourth question:

What was your favorite golf memory of 2012?

It can be related to the professional game or your personal game. My favorite golf memory of 2012 was breaking 80 for the first time in my golf career. I felt like I was on the "Best without a major list" like Luke Donald before I broke 80. I would go play golf with people and I could feel them judge me, "How have you not broken 80 yet? I'm not as good as you and I've broken 80." I can only imagine the weight Luke, Lee Westwood, etc. feel around the majors.

Your turn.

Have an idea for an end-of-the-year question? Email us!

[ comments ]
GolfSmith7 says:
To me was the World Am and meeting Mustang6560, Jfurr, Madmax99 and his spouse and playing my first tournament. The courses were great and the memories even better. I got to pray with my playing partners and one day we had a bunch of guys praying before the round. I didn't play to my ability but the experience was unforgettable!
12/18/12

While nothing I have done can compare to the likes of Westwood, Donald or Nathan, I had a few humble memories. First was near the beginning of summer when I broke 80 at Marine Park, a tough course almost 6900y long. The second was my b-day in September, a terrific outing with my girlfriend at Jack Nicklaus-designed Mansion Ridge, and in particular a cool par on the difficult 18th hole.

Mr_X says:
I played in my brother in-law's annual year end Columbus Day golf event. They always play 18 holes of personal score and a second 18 of best ball. I have been playing with these guys for about 6 years now. Somehow my morning score of 94 made me an "A" player for the afternoon. I did not drive well in the afternoon, but my Eidolon wedges were on fire. I had a green side bunker shot stop 3 inches short of the cup for a missed eagle on a long par 5. I also put three of our approach shots from wedge distance within 4 feet or less for birdies. It's a great feeling to be able to think your way around a golf course and hit quality wedge shots when you need them. 2012 was a good year for golf!

Duke of Hazards says:
Breaking 90 for the first time by avoiding blow-up holes.

PKT says:
In my own game, the best memory for me was a company scramble we played in where my concrete hands managed to drain four putts of 15 feet or more in one round. But my favourite memory of 2012 was Bubba Watson's hooked wedge from the pinestraw on #10 at Augusta to win the Masters.
12/18/12

At an outing my wife's company had at a local farm. The place had animals (of course), but also had mini-golf, a driving range, and what appeared to be a 9-hole par3 course, among other things. We had seen the animals, and she had ridden a pony and had lunch. We asked her, my 2 year old daughter, what she wanted to do next, and she said "GOLF!"
12/18/12

Talk about deja vu, I could swear we had a similar posting. At the risk of repeating myself, shooting even par "71" on my 60th birthday this year. That magical round tops the many wonderful things that happened to me on the golf course in 2012 (so far - we do have 13 days left!).

GBogey says:
Broke 80 twice, had my first round with 3 birdies (including a fab blind fairway bunker shot to 4 feet), but the highlight was probably playing 5-6 fun or great new courses, including 2 days at Caves Valley which compares with any golf experience I have had to date.

jpjeffery says:
No one thing really stands out, but I guess the combined low/highlight was discovering - after the fact - that as I was teeing on the 18th I had a score of 92.

So it was a highlight because I realised that I'd made such progress that a non-triple digit score was actually, finally, within reach...but a lowlight because I still managed to screw up the opportunity with a 9 on the last.

Other than the there were a lot less fat shots and thin shots plus a lot more straight, airborne shots.

Oh and of course, the miracle at Medinah. :)

kwjenkins says:
Favorite golf memories of the year are from rolling in 8 striaght one putts in a captians choice then making about 12 more in another tourney. My putting is better than ever as well as handicap. I've been blessed to enjoy two golf vacations this year and many many great rounds with great friends! Hope 2013 brings more of the same! Marry Christmas and Happy New Year all OOBers!
PS-I too loved seeing Bubba work his magic and cry like a humble baby after winning the Masters. I would be the same blubbering bubby!

GolfSmith7 says:
@kwjenkins I've been struggling with the putter care to share some advice? lol seriously

Panerai111 says:
Mine has to be my hole in one at the end of the season. Downhill par 3. Saw it fly right in to the cup. It was unreal.

biglou11 says:
My best memory was a golf trip with about 10 other guys. We went to Louisiana and played 4 courses. The whole trip was a blast. Also shot an 81, my best round of the year.

mmontisano says:
getting revenge and shooting a decent score on a tough course that beat me up and took my lunch money last year.
12/19/12

Matt F says:
Honestly, just getting out and playing. The way my personal and work life was this year, it's a wonder I got to golf at all. Now that things have settled down into a somewhat regular routine, I'm looking forward to golfing in the new year.
12/19/12

mschad says:
Though I didn't achive my goal of lowering my hdcp, 2 things I will remember this year: Shooting my best round ever, a 78 paring the back 9. And during another round, an ace.
12/19/12

jfurr says:
Lots of good memories thus year. Lets see, to pick one I would have to go with world am week, for the intensity of back to back tournament days, the travel, and making new friends.
12/19/12

windowsurfer says:
Great times with buddies (old + new), a few rounds with my daughter and the promise of more in 2013!
12/20/12

Tim Horan says:
Outstanding memory of Phil Mickleson applauding Justin Rose on the 17th green after draining that long putt. Great to see!
12/28/12

Tim Horan says:
From a personal point of view - getting my name on an honours board at Wildwood in the Nobblers Cup - it only took me twelve years!
12/28/12