Second Annual oobgolf Awards
By mustang6560 on 12/20/12
Following in the footsteps of the First Annual oobgolf Awards, it's my pleasure to unveil the Second Annual oobgolf Awards!
  • The Next Tiger Woods: Tianlang Guan

I first heard about Tianlang back in April. As a 13-year-old, he qualified for the Volvo China Open to become the youngest player ever to compete in an European Tour event. Tianlang topped himself six months later with a wire-to-wire victory at the Asia-Pacific Amateur as a 14-year-old. The win earned him an invitation to Augusta National next April and barring any unfortunate setbacks, he'll become the youngest player to compete in The Masters ever (and he's barely a teenager!).

• Rookie of the Year: Bode Miller

The RoY award is given to the person who did the most uncool golf-related thing — whether on purpose or not. Without question or hesitation, the Rookie of the Year award goes to Bode Miller for drilling his beautiful wife Morgan Beck in the face with a golf ball, which caused significant damage. Bode is a well-decorated professional skier, however, by the looks of his wife's face, who is a professional volleyball player, he's a danger on the golf course. Bode should consider signing up to be the next celebrity-student on The Haney Project.

• GoW of the Year: SteveMM

There were several outstanding GoW profiles submitted over the course of the year, however, one profile stood out above the rest. The community spoke by their comments (and clicks) and "SteveMM" had the best. If you didn't read his GoW profile, click here. As the GoWoY, he earned a FREE 1-Year Addict+ subscription!

• Best Performance of the Year: Bubba Watson

Jack Nicklaus said Bubba's approach shot from the pine straw on the second playoff hole (#10) at The Masters was "one of the great shots ever played in the game". Not only was the shot exceptional from an execution standpoint (very few people can work the ball 40-yards on command), it was extraordinary from a timing standpoint (the shot propelled him to victory). Even if Bubba from Baghdad never wins another golf tournament in his professional career, he'll forever be remembered for The Shot Heard 'Round The World.

• Story of the Year: Charlie Beljan

For the second time in as many years, the SoY goes to oober Charlie Beljan. Last year Charlie passed Q-School to earn his rookie PGA Tour card. Fast forward nearly a year later and the Arizona-native won his first professional golf tournament at the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic. Despite suffering a panic attack during the third round, Charlie managed to shoot an 8-under-par 64, which put him in position to win. If we had an oobgolf Hall of Fame, Charlie would be the first person to be inducted!

• Guest Columnist of the Year: joe jones

It was close, but "joe jones" edged out bkuehn1952 as the GCoY. Joe submitted eight columns over the last year on a variety of topics including Bubba Watson, the Rules for Bad Golfers, and the Business Side of Golf. His columns were well written, interesting, and most importantly sparked debate. For his efforts, he'll be rewarded with a FREE 1-Year Addict+ subscription!

• oober of the Year: Bernie Duffer

I didn't get a lot of feedback from the community for the People's Choice award, so I elected to change the award based on the feedback I did get. Since joining oobgolf in January 2009, Bernie Duffer has posted an impressive 1,217 scores — he's played over 275 in 2012 alone. I'm not sure what he does (or did) to be able to play so much golf but I'd like to know so I can start doing it! Bernie will also receive a FREE 1-Year Addict+ subscription!

• Player of the Year: Rory McIlroy

I don't really need to make a case for Rory, however, I will. In addition to winning five times in 2012 including his second major championship, the Ulsterman won the money titles on both the PGA and European Tours, the PGA and European Tour Player of the Year awards, PGA of American Player of the Year, Vardon Trophy, and the Byron Nelson Award. Plus, he cleaned up every media publication award too. I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for Rory!

[ comments ]
Congratulations to all the outstanding award recipients. Well done!
12/20/12

jfurr says:
Congrats to Steve, Joe, and Bernie
12/20/12

GolfSmith7 says:
Congrats to all the winners. How about an award for the highest oober flight finisher at the world am? What other Oober awards would be cool?
12/20/12

joe jones says:
Thank you very much. This was a very pleasant suprise and makes me look forward to the new year. I read all of the entries on oob and have a great deal of respect for the golf knowledge of our members.I will continue to send in new articles as my senior mind comes up with content that is worthy of our blog.
12/20/12

sjduffers says:
Congrats to all recipients, and specially our own Steve, Joe and Bernie.

I think there should also be a "razzie" award for the worst behavior on or off the course and I submit that it should *also* go to Charlie Beljan for his infamous tweet: www.oobgolf.com/content/fore+play/1-6078-Charlie
12/20/12

SpaceMaNy0 says:
I tried my best to compete with Bernie for 2012. Maybe next year.

Congrats everyone.
12/21/12

SteveMM says:
Wooohoo! I hadn't seen this! I'd like to thank Nathan, for running oobgolf and (just as important) for telling me I won. I'd also like to thank all of the little people: Herve Villachez, Gary Coleman, Emmanuel Lewis, Celo Green...
12/21/12

Bernie Duffer says:
Well, this is a surprise! Regarding the questions...I was a public school district business administrator in New York State. I retired in July, 2006 after a thirty-three year career in public education. I played soccer in high school college. I coached soccer and track during the first ten years of my career when I was Social Studies teacher. I was a weekend golfer for most of my adult life. I planned my retirement around the idea that I would play a round of golf every morning and have the rest of the day and evening to do everything else. I've kept myself in good shape and continue to do so. I walk my rounds of golf, all year round, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I ride when I play with a group of guys on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. My wife and I play together, usually riding but sometimes walking, on Sunday. I work out at the gym Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. I read extensively and write to friends often. I enthusiastically recommend my active lifestyle to anyone who can do it.
12/21/12

BTW, Bernie, you know you are already a member of the oob Hall of Fame.

www.oobgolf.com/content/fore+play/1-6192-Hall_of
12/21/12

Bernie Duffer says:
bkuehn1952, thanks! I missed your column and I'm glad you brought it to my attention. I appreciate it.
12/21/12

Bernie Duffer says:
SpaceMaNy0, you are keeping up just fine! Considering where you live, 400 posted rounds if very impressive.
12/21/12

jfurr says:
Quote, Bernie ="I planned my retirement around the idea that I would play a round of golf every morning..." ... could it get much better than that? :)
12/21/12

SpaceMaNy0 says:
No. I hope my plan to do the same works out as well.
12/21/12

windowsurfer says:
Just a note to all: appreciate the contributions shared, grouchy & friendly alike. Thx for putting up with my loquacious, rather random and sometimes flat-out, ass-clown comments. oobgolf is a remarkable thing: from Wedge Guy to Beef's occasional rants, K the Knife's, birdieXris' & one dollar's comical observations, BKuehn's ooberpositive 'tude ('cept for USGA!), even-handedness from Bryan K, Tim H etc., etc. and the endless sputterfeed of interesting golf related news. oobgolf is the golf methadone I self-medicate with repeatedly during busy work day (and rare snowy weekends). Hit'em straight, bruvs!
12/22/12