2013 Minnesota Golf Show
By Torleif Sorenson on 2/18/13
I don't get out much. My social life is a lot like the lie angles on my Hogan Edge irons: 2° flat. And I was not able to attend the recent PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, Florida. As a result, my visit this past Friday to the 2013 Minnesota Golf Show at the Minneapolis Convention Center was almost as edifying as it was work.

Many attractions standard to these shows were present: Multiple hitting cages for testing clubs from all the big names, a long-putt contest, and several retailers offering new, used, and closeout equipment, clothing, shoes, etc.

So what made me drool the most? Indoor golf simulators seem to be more affordable these days; the Optishot Infrared Golf Simulator is designed for use at home, in the garage, or even at the office — provided your ceilings are high enough, of course. Unfortunately, at 7 feet 10 inches, the ceiling at La Cueva del Tor might be a bit short for my comfort.

Jon Heyer of Saint Paul, Minnesota takes the Optishot for a test drive.
The sensor connects to a computer and monitor (not pictured).

PGA of America teaching professional Steve Henry (left) of Bridgestone Golf joined KSTP AM-1500
host Joe Soucheray (right) for an interesting discussion about current golf ball technology.

Here's something you don't see every day: A six-passenger cart.
The EZ-GO Express S6 is becoming popular at resort courses.

Your humble correspondent would enjoy having a CoreMaster chair just for the massage
and stretching capabilities. But resistance training and strengthening is also a major feature.

The PGA of America's Minnesota section was also there in force; several instructors were very conveniently available to offer free ten-minute lessons. I was fortunate to get some advice on fixing my right arm during the downswing from Roger Fahrenkrug, who was named the Minnesota section's Teacher of the Year in 2011. (Thanks, Roger!)

[ comments ]
frankteo714 says:
Chicago Golf Show this weekend!
2/18/13

Michigan Golf Show on March 1,2,3!!! Almost like the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando only smaller, colder and a lot less interesting. But I will be there collecting brochures from all the places I will never go while trying to score a great deal on something - even if it is only socks. ;)
2/18/13

frankteo714 says:
bkuehn, nothing like giving your email to a dozen courses you'll never visit! I think I got smart last year and made sure to only sign up for courses I know I'll play at.
2/18/13

@frank: Yeah, been down that route. I have an alternate email address I use. Like you, I also try to be semi-realistic. I typically stick with courses located in southern Michigan and don't bother with FL, TN, MS etc ...
2/18/13

Torleif Sorenson says:
I can relate to you; it was nice to see the display for The Wilderness at Fortune Bay, which is located 215 miles north of "La Cueva del Tor." I *very* much want to play there!

www.oobgolf.com/courses/course/17221/Wilderness_
2/18/13

Matt F says:
From other forums that I've read, the Optishot is great as a game, but it's not much chop at providing "detailed" feed back of what you're doing with your club at impact.

Having said that, it's not going to stop me from getting one at some stage and setting it up in the garage.
2/19/13

1hawkeye1 says:
Opti-shot is definitely affordable, but it isn't much good for anything other than clubhead speed.
There's a reason that Opti-shot is a couple hundred dollars and a FlightScope is a couple thousand.
3/3/13