Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Cigar Smoking and Golf
By Snyper on 6/5/08
Ever since I began smoking cigars, I've made them a friendly addition to my golf game. There are few better places to enjoy a good burn than out on the golf course. It's a great way to forget about the fact that you are playing behind four of the slowest golfers in the world that are showing no sign of letting you play through anytime soon. Wrapping your lips around an oily wrapper and breathing in that smooth breath of smoke can also help you forget about that club you just wrapped around a tree! Yes, there are a lot of reasons that I recommend enjoying a cigar or two during your round. But, there are also a lot of questions about the habit that need to be answered.

First of all, how do you transport your cigars? Goodness knows there are plenty of options. If you pick up any cigar magazine you'll see an abundance of "travel humidors" and special cases designed for carrying your cigars to their final destination. I have tried a few of these options but only with minimal satisfaction. I'm just not convinced that the few hours between the time I take my cigars out of the humidor at home to the time I smoke them on the course are enough to dry them out significantly. So, when it comes to transportation to the course, I'm old school. I grab a handful of my favorites and toss them in a Ziploc bag. If it's a hot day, I may throw a damp paper towel in there to keep things moist. If you've found an alternative method that you prefer, let me know about it.

Now, the next big question is when do you first light up?? If you're hard-core, you're enjoying a nice pre-smoke on your way to the course! I like to smoke, but I'm not that devoted yet. I'm more of a first tee smoker myself. Normally you've got some time before your group is ready to tee off to loosen up and fill your pockets with the basic necessities. When those tasks have been accomplished, I grab the lighter and fire up that first smoke. Occasionally I'll blaze a cigar on the putting green before the round, but that usually only happens when there is a back up on the first tee and I need to calm my anger over having to wait past my tee time. Certainly there are other common starting times for that first burn. I've known some guys to wait until their round begins to fall apart before they take their first puff. That usually gets them started on about the 4th hole!! I've also known some guys to be back nine smokers, choosing to light up at the turn. No matter when it is that you choose to enjoy a smoke with your round, it's always a good decision. So when is it that you prefer?

The answer to my next inquiry is probably directly related to how you answered the last question of when do you start smoking. The question is, how many cigars do you usually smoke during a round? This is one that for myself tends to depend on how I'm playing. During a normal round, I end up smoking either two or three. Now, I do tend to enjoy smoking larger cigars while I'm playing golf in order to minimize the time spent lighting the cigar during the round. Once I get one blazing, I don't like to have to think about getting another one going for at least 4 holes. If I'm playing pretty well, I tend to get more focused on my round and simply forget to grab another cigar. So, during those good rounds, I may not ever get past that first smoke. On the other hand, when I'm hacking it around, the cigar is usually the only good thing I've got going. On those days, I've been known to smoke in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 during a round. So how about you? Do you find any of these factors to be part of your decision making or do you have a set number that you like to enjoy?

Lastly, how do you handle your cigar on the course? This area holds some questions that I have yet to answer for myself. When do you leave the cigar at the cart and when does it join you for the journey to your shot? I myself, tend to leave the cigar at the cart unless I'm on the tee or at the green. Those tend to be the longest amounts of time away from the cart and the last thing I want is to come back from a bad shot to a burnt out cigar! I will admit though, that having the cigar with me around the green can sometimes become cumbersome. I'm already carrying a towel and a few clubs to chip with, since I usually miss the green. So the cigar can sometimes be in the way. When you do take the cigar with you to your ball, what do you do with it when you're hitting your shot? I've known a couple guys who never lay their smoke down. I don't know how they do it, but they've got that baby between their lips the whole time. I've got to lay mine down even when I'm putting or else I'm thinking about that amazing flavor in my mouth instead of focusing on hitting the ball. I do sometimes worry about the pesticides, fertilizers, and any of an abundance of other chemicals that make their way from the grass to my cigar while it lies there. But I've decided to just take my chances on the possible poisoning instead of investing in some sort of cigar holder. I will admit that I occasionally ash on the putting surface. Each time it happens, I hope the random spots of ash on the green aren't a problem for those behind me. I have yet to decide where that falls in the book of golf etiquette. Are you supposed to lay the cigar and its ash in the rough or is it ok to have a little silver fertilizer here and there on the putting surface?? Help me out! What do you think?

In conclusion, golf and cigars are a match made in heaven! I would encourage any cigar smoker or golfer to combine the habits! I would also encourage you to leave me some feedback on the decisions that must be made when you toke a stogie with your round. I'd love to hear how you incorporate your cigars into your stroll around the links.

Lounge Home

[ comments ]
falcon50driver says:
Cigars and Golf...a match made in heaven..The golf course is about the last place a guy can enjoy a cigar. I only buy cigars with at least a 52 ring size and no shorter than 6". That way it will last 9 holes almost exactly. Hoyo de Monterrey Sultans 7.25 x 54 for example. Or my favorite, Arturo Fuente Canones 8.50 x 52 with Maduro wrapper. You must also have a "cigar minder" clamp to hold it on the cart while you go to the tee box. Other times you take it with you to enjoy while "Mr plumb bob" walks all around the green sizing up his putt. Laying it down on the grass doesn't hurt anything. They water the grass in Mexico with human waste, it'll just grow hair on your chest if you get a little on your cigar. Just be careful when picking it up off the ground, once I got confused and picked up a dog turd. I realized my mistake when it wouldn't relight.
4/15/08

golfgirl says:
Husband smokes Cohiba siglo VI.

When we play together I usually end up as his cigar administrator. Holding it for him when he's hitting and making sure it stays lit. (In return he helps me manage my cameras and video recorder).

He's more of a back nine smoker and generally only smokes one. Sometimes another at the 19th hole. His Cohiba has a really elegant looking metal tube and that's all he uses to transport them.

I've got to say we do encounter negativity from cigar haters sometimes...does that happen to you?
4/16/08

Snyper says:
merlin, thanks for reminding me about the watering process in Mexico! not sure i'll ever be able to smoke again!

i've definitely encountered some haters, and it's a shame. but what can ya do? by the way, your husband is a pretty lucky guy! if i asked my girl to hold my smoke, she'd probably throw it on the ground and stomp it out....speaking of a hater.
4/16/08

vt_ritt says:
The Rocky Patel "Edge" is my favorite golf cigar...smooth, medium bodied...and pretty inexpensive. I have a hard time laying down a lot of money for a smoke when I can't focus totally on it--should probably be focusing more on the golf.
4/17/08

Snyper says:
that's a good call vt. i feel the same way. it's nice to have a solid smoke that's inexpensive for the golf course. save the expensive ones for the back porch on a beautiful night!
4/18/08

skulptor says:
merlin2driver youve got great taste. I too love Arturo Fuentes but I usualy stick to the 858's at the course. If I set it down on the tee box I tend to forget it until my next shot. then feel bad if I have to go back to get it so usually end up writing that one off. I only bring two with me so I be sure not to forget it a second time. I have a divot repair tool that folds out to a cigar holder which I use on the green. works very well.
6/6/08

falcon50driver says:
Aha!,another Cigar Aficionado, greetings my friend. Worry not, about going back to get your cigar, I'll spend more time looking for the one that fell off the cart, than I will looking for a lost Pro-V-1-x.
6/6/08

Snyper says:
You've got that right merlin! I've been there an done that so many times it's sad. The worst part is finding your cigar only to realize that you've run over it in the process!!
6/7/08

skulptor says:
I just ordered me one of those cigar holders that clip on the golf cart so I hope that will help my absentmindedness. Dont know if it was a waste of money but it was cheap and it will be here Wednesday. If nothing else at least I will have a new gadget to play with. And while I was at it I ordered a box of Double Chateau Fuentes Maduro.
6/8/08

Snyper says:
I had one of those and loved it! However, I left it on my cart after the second round of using it and needless to say, never saw it again. So, don't forget about it! It's easy to do!
6/10/08

falcon50driver says:
So true! I lost two by leaving them on the cart. It's black and blends in to the cart trim. I had to attach a "remove before flight" streamer to mine and haven't lost another one.
6/11/08

chp4golf says:
who cares about the haters golfgirl!! you keep holding your husband's stick for him and he will always love you!!
6/11/08

chp4golf says:
There is nothing like the AVO #2
6/11/08

Snyper says:
that's a great idea merlin! thanks for the tip.
6/11/08

skulptor says:
Thats a great idea. Although I usually walk with a clicgear 2.0 pushcart. but next time I get a cart I will think about that one. I'll also have to try an AVO #2 soon. thanks for the tips.
6/11/08

falcon50driver says:
AVO cigars are very good, I think I mentioned this elswhere on this site, but I met Mr AVO at a cigar tasting in San Antonio and got invited to his plantation, havent't been there yet though.
6/11/08

PapaJoe says:
Merlin, nothing tastes better than a good cigar on the golf course if one considers the proper etiquette concerning your golfing family and partners. DON'T lose your ashes on the green! Don't filthy up the cart with ashes in the tray holder! A cigar is NOT good mulch, so don't leave it laying around anywhere on the golf course whether you forget it, or if you are down to the last couple puffs and don't know where to discard the butt! Number one DON'T! Don't smoke it if you think you might have cancer! A very good friend of mine, and a wonderful Champions Tour golfer did. Larry Gilbert died in 1998 directly related to smoke! In other words, don't be stupid if you smoke a good cigar!!!
6/13/08

skulptor says:
buzzkill?? papajoe
6/14/08

Snyper says:
merlin, what are you waiting for!? I think I would've gone to the plantation the next day!
6/14/08

falcon50driver says:
Don't be stupid if I smoke a good cigar? So I can be stupid if I'm smoking one that's not so good? A cigar is not good mulch?...A cigar is made of LEAVES...Who put the burr under your saddle?
6/14/08

falcon50driver says:
Generally, ashes contain potassium, a major plant nutrient plus a number of minor nutrients.....
6/14/08

skulptor says:
sounds like papajoe hasnt been getin' any since his divorce. keep on smokin m2d.
6/15/08

PapaJoe says:
Skulptor, no, I wasn't trying to be a buzzkill! I was merely posting just another dim reminder that cigars, as well as their little brothers and sisters, cigarettes, can and do cause lung cancer! Not that every idiot doesn't know that, including myself. If you smoke cigars, such as I do on a daily basis, and thoroughly enjoy a good smoke, don't be stupid and ignore the fact about what's happening inside your breathing apparatuses, namely your lungs. Get checked out on a periodic basis. If you start hacking up snot, mixed with a little blood and other gooey looking crap, and you sort of wheeze when you inhale and/or talk, don't be stupid!! Quit!!! And just FYI, I've "got" plenty since my divorce. Why do you think I got divorced? And by the way... who the hell told you about my divorce?
6/23/08

PapaJoe says:
Merlin2D, and others: I wasn't trying to be offensive about leaving those half-smoked cigars and their ashes lying around on the golf course. I'm sure the nation's greenskeepers would agree with me that it's just not cool to leave those nasty looking little turds lying around on their beautiful and well groomed fairways and greens. And if you MUST leave them lying around, and cannot find a proper disposal for them, and you think that all the ingredients that make up the leaves of the cigars are good mulch, be a good little G.I. and field strip them! Remember, keep it "green" not "brown".
6/23/08

golfray says:
Here's where we got the divorce information ........Quote
"I am three years divorced, live by myself, all my boys are grown, out of the house, and on their own, so my life is totally mine to do with what I want and when I want. I am 64, 215 lbs., good shape, not a "fuddy duddy", .........We believed you.......
6/23/08

PapaJoe says:
Golfray: Oh yeah, thanks for my update! Between all the cigar smoke, and liquid pleasures combined with, now I remember making that comment! Cheers!!! (And I still "get" plenty!) PapaJoe
6/23/08

skulptor says:
sorry papajoe, I didnt mean to offend you
6/23/08

PapaJoe says:
Skulptor: (Monday 11 p.m. EST). Check your message file! No offense taken on whatever comments were posted by me, you, or anyone else. Golf is meant to be fun, and I enjoy communicating with golfers and people from all walks of life, especially those walking and riding on the golf course! I really enjoyed some of your images!! Did you take the ones from Torrey Pines? If you did I would really appreciate it if you would send me a large JPG file from any or all of the ones you have!! The last one in your image file is super! I've tried to get one or two screen savers from Torrey Pines, but alas, every web site out there wants some big bucks for the photos. Keep strokin', keep smokin', and keep on postin' on oobgolf. What a fun web site!!! Cheers, PapaJoe@ papajoehermit@juno.com
6/23/08

golfray says:
Be a good liitle G.I. and don't be stupid with the liquid pleasures.
6/24/08

PapaJoe says:
Golfray: OK, Ma! Thanxsh!
6/25/08

alpine0000 says:
yea, but what about all the reasons NOT to smoke cigars?

mouth cancer, yellow teeth, you force the other people that you play with to have to smell that stink, bad for the environment, can become addictive... and you actually PAY to do this!
6/26/08

Snyper says:
*snif* *snif* I smell a hater! Stay tuned to the lounge for the "Smoking is Healthy" article. You're gonna love it alpine!
6/26/08

falcon50driver says:
Try a good cigar, it might improve your game, couldn't hurt.
6/26/08

jabbs28 says:
Hmmm...there was this funny guy who lived to be 100 and smoked a cigar every day. Mr. George Burns. Besides, isn't breathing and eating becoming harder to do because there's always something you can get from them!! LIVE your lives, don't FEAR it. Have one on me! I don't smoke, but I don't mind it....and I'm a cancer survivor! Good luck to all and maybe we'll see you on the links sometime!
6/27/08

falcon50driver says:
Jabbs, thank you for a very astute observation. So true about George Burns and Winston Churchill, Snyper and myself, and others here are not promoting cigars for people who don't want or care for them. We're just sharing information about our pleasant experiences. You are soo right about the fear of living. If you listen to the media, they tell you when you go to the beach to be sure and put on sunscreen, wear a long sleeve shirt and a big hat. I say, what the hell are you going to the beach for anyway, just stay at home in your closet.
6/27/08

Darkowl says:
I like to light up at the 2nd or 3rd hole. Since the NUB came out, I think they're the perfect golf cigar! They come in different wrappers and slightly different sizes, but normally about 3 1/2" to about 4 1/2". One on the front nine and one on the back so you don't have to either relight or ditch the unfinished cigar you had at the turn. (I usually stop for a quick snack and drink break at the turn unless it's really busy)

The NUB and info can be found on cigar.com if you're interested.
6/28/08

Snyper says:
Nice call Darkowl. That's impressive knowledge of the Nub. They're a pretty new cigar and certainly a quality choice. Their concept is worth a read for those of you who haven't heard of them before.
6/28/08

brokeinorlando says:
I'd smoke more cigars if I had an administrator like golfgirl...
7/13/08

PapaJoe says:
Oh my... "Golf Girl!" She can light my cigar any day! No offense Mal! In fact I see you in such an impressive light, please check out my vision of you in "My Images". Again... no offense! Hope none taken! (Or are you Golf Girl???) If not, my apologies! There are so many names and characters on oobGolf's web site I can't keep track of all of them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
7/22/08

PapaJoe says:
OH NO!! Mallory is NOT "Golf Girl". My BAD! Please excuse the heck out of me both of youse! Mallory, after reading your posts about your first round of golf, and a few other comments, I will gladly give you the title of: "Super Golfgirl!" I know you'll live up to it sooner or later.
7/23/08

maxx-o says:
A "cigar administrator", what a great idea! Too bad my wife doesn't play, and none of my regulars will hold my smoke. I use a new cigar holder that I just got from famous smoke shop, called the heaterholder. It snaps onto my bag, and even has a safety chain so i won't lose it. It cost a couple more bucks than the others, but it's made from stainless, not plastic. Haven't tried a nub yet, but really like Diego grande's for the course.
8/9/08

JWHpurist says:
All You "SOB's" have great writers, (superior to Leno's people), I was laughing so hard I could hardly light up. Perhaps you guys should do a comedy segment with Charles Barkley on the Golf Channel to relax Hank Haney and have everyone "In Stitches" on the first tee to promote a positive round of golf by all parties concerned!!. JWHpurist
4/16/09

michsar says:
I think you've stumbled on a brand new way to 'score' a round for us hackers out there...

1 cigar - "I'm so good, I'll join the tour"
2 cigars - "I'm hitting it well today. Putts are rollin in"
3 cigars - "A bad day of golf is better than a good day of work"
4 cigars - "I've used more balls than cigars today"
5 cigars - "I hate this f&$*ing game"
9/8/09

jmmarble says:
Does your favorite golf course sell premium cigars or do u have to bring them with you?
3/5/10

sheff62004 says:
We would like to introduce you to our product, The Golf Tee Cigar Holder. This innovative product is geared toward meeting the needs of golfers who enjoy smoking while indulging in the game of golf. By allowing the Cigar to be secured during shots. The Holders will prevent mouth infections from chemicals on the green. Also, limit cleanup and course operation cost. Scooter's Sports Enterprises, Inc would love for you to Consider our Company's product for your next round of golf. We guarantee your golfing experience will be convenient, safe, and the course in kept conditions. This product was made to accommodate golfers who smoke.

For more information visit www.scooterssports.com, thebutterflydesign.com/scootersports/scooter-spo

Twitter @ScootersSports
8/17/11

artemisa7875 says:
There is a new brand of cigars coming out from a old Cuban family in the cigar business that has two blends especially for the golfer, one is the "Front 9 blend" and the other one is the "19th hole blend". If you like golf and cigars you have to try them.
8/29/11

EmadaCigarClip says:
emadacigarclip says:
Hello to all cigar smoking golfers. I'm the creater of the all new cigar holder called "Emada Cigar Clip" . It's the strongest , smallest, Badest cigar clip out today. Also have one for the fisherman . It will be in the golf,sporting goods, and cigar shops very soon. emadacigarclip.com
Best Regards,