First night of league!
By Snyper on 4/20/08
By Matt Snyder, oobgolf contributer

Tonight was my first league night of the year and it just reminded me of some things that need to be addressed about golf leagues. I've played in some leagues and I've worked leagues for over 10 years, so I've seen all sides of golf leagues. Here are a few things that just need to be said on the subject of golf leagues!

First of all, it is ok to be a poor golfer. We all have our rough days when we post big numbers. And if you post big numbers every time you play, that's ok. But, if you are going to be terrible and you are going to play in a league, you need to learn how to be terrible quickly! Please don't spend an hour looking for your ball while everyone else on the course has to wait behind you. Drop another ball, take the penalty, and move on. If you are not ok with that, then don't play in a league until you are skilled enough to play at a reasonable pace!

Second of all, some of us "league golfers" need to lose the attitude. Just because you play in a league does not mean that you are either good or special in any way. I don't know about you guys, but I've met and played with plenty of guys who think they are somehow better or more informed than they truly are just because they play in a league. Can anybody say "annoying"? It isn't like you have to pass a test to play in a golf league. You didn't try out to make the team. So just calm down with thinking that you have somehow surpassed the average golfer by entering yourself in a league.

Thirdly, league golf is supposed to be fun, so quit caring so much about winning! It is supposed to be a great way to play routinely and to play with different people. If you win, good for you. If not, oh well. You should enjoy the fact that you are spending time on the golf course and not ruining the fun that the rest of the group is trying to have because you are getting beat by your opponent. And whatever you do, don't come back to the clubhouse and whine to the guy behind the counter about how unfair handicaps are! You could do all of us golf course employees a favor and save it for someone else! We really don't care if you won or lost that night. We just want to put the carts away, clean up, and go home! Don't ruin the evening for you partners by slamming clubs and screaming profanities all night and don't ruin the evening for the cart boys by either complaining or bragging to them while they are trying to do their job.

In conclusion, golf leagues are a great idea! The courses love them because they are guaranteed business and golfers love them because they give us a chance to compete on a weekly basis both individually and as a team. However, some of us who play in leagues have got a few things to learn. Please don't ruin your league for everyone else by playing exceptionally slow, having an arrogant attitude, or telling everyone you see after the round an hour long story about your match. If we could all just follow these few tidbits of advice, league golf everywhere will be the incredibly fun and enjoyable experience it is meant to be! Anyone feel me on this one??

Lounge Home

[ comments ]
falcon50driver says:
Everyone is annoyed by the guy who is constantly talking. Explaining every little thing about why his shot went badly. "Oh thats surely not what I intended to do" "wow how did it break that way?" "well now what do I wnt to do here? dum de dum de dum dum dum. You just want to say "Just shut up and hit your shot and let's go"
4/21/08

TaylorFade says:
I think the added pressure of it being a competitive round tends to make people more deliberate. As far as pace goes, the rules state that you have five minutes to find your ball, but I think I would strangle someone if they took that long.
5/8/08

El Presidente says:
As Founder and President of a very competitive golf league for the last 5 years, and armed with a Psychology degree, I have come to the conclusion that anyone involved in a "competitive" league is going to have to deal with a lot of differnet personalities...the "talker", the "Tommy Bolt", the "snail", etc.
It's part of the makeup of any organized event so anyone involved should simply learn to deal with it. (I'm not saying that it makes it right)
I worked diligently to promote all facets of proper golf etiquette and the importance of speed of play (including a complete league charter, website, the whole nine yards) and the final conclusion I have come to only confirms the old adage, "you can lead a horse to water...", well you know the rest.
Good luck and have fun.
5/15/08

Spinj says:
Well said Matt as for the Pres, well OK...But, not withstanding the psycho-babble, Golf is a game of etiquette and mutual respect. Take 5 minutes, find your ball or drop and give the next guy/girl time to look for his/her ball before it gets dark.
5/23/08

PapaJoe says:
Cudos to Mr. Snyder for his views on golf league play!! No one wants to put up with a "John Daly" thrower of clubs, or a "Sergio Garcia" whiner about their round of golf! But a "Tommy Bolt" type??? They're just plain fun to watch. Back in the 70's I had the unpleasure to be teamed up with a guy who normally went through about 3 or 4 entire sets of golf clubs per year. If he didn't like the shot he hit he would simply throw the club into the nearest water hazard or nearby forest of trees. He did not care for most of his drives off the tee. Good-bye driver. He dubbed most of his iron shots from the fairway. Good bye 3-PW! He definitely could not putt! Good-bye to a host of putters! On the golf course he was a real bear! Off the course in the nineteenth hole he was the sweetest guy in the world. Go figure! Our club pro loved him! I swear, he spent at least $2,000 a year in the pro shop. So "something" good has to be said for those guys, especially from the clubhouse pro's point of view!
7/1/08

PapaJoe says:
Sorry Mr. "Snyper" NOT "Snyder" Where can I get an "oobgolf" hat as you modeled in one of your "images"? Thanks,

PapaJoe