No More Tiger. Happy or Sad??
By Snyper on 6/23/08
By Matt Snyder, oobgolf contributer

Alright, so we have all heard by now, Tiger Woods will not be playing anymore PGA events this season due to a stress fracture to his tibia. I say, THANK GOODNESS! If you are a true fan of golf, you should be saying the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I am not cheering the fact that the guy is hurt. However, I am certainly not dreading some of the consequences of his injury. It has been well documented that I am not a fan of Tiger Woods. However, I assure you that my feelings towards him are irrelevant to my reaction to this latest Tiger news. It is my passion for the game of golf that causes me to look forward to his absence during the rest of the golf season.

You see, when I watch golf, that's what I like to see! Now, I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out. I am so sick and tired of watching Tiger walk down the fairway, talk to his caddie for ten minutes, look at the tree tops, yell at a few fans, and take fifteen practice swings while there are thirty other guys out there actually playing golf that I never get to see! I recognize that this is solely the fault of the media and not Tiger, but it is what it is. And, thankfully, for the rest of the season, fans of golf will actually be able to watch golf instead of just watching Tiger.

I already know the pathetic excuses that the networks throw out there for their absolutely awful coverage of professional golf these days, but it is all garbage. "People watch to see Tiger." Yeah, that may be true. But they do not watch to see Tiger stalk a putt for fifteen minutes! They watch to see Tiger compete. I can absolutely guarantee you that no one walks away from coverage of a Tour event and says, "Man, I wish we could've seen Tiger line up his putts a little longer today". But I can also guarantee you that there are a lot of people that say "I wish I could have seen Ernie, Vijay, Freddy, Justin, Luke, etc. hit a few more shots during their rounds." In fact, I can guarantee that there are a lot of people that do not even watch golf when Tiger is in contention because of how terrible the coverage is. In today's world of technology allowing each and every shot to be taped and shown whenever is desired, there is no reason that we as viewers shouldn't be seeing more golf than ever! Yet, we see less and less every week! If you want to show every single shot Tiger hits, FINE! But that does not mean you have to show him doing everything else he does in between shots. SHOW US SOME GOLF!

There may be a lot of people who are drawn to the sport because of Tiger, but that is not why most people watch golf on television. True golf fans, like myself, are the ones that are tuned in for four hours on Sunday to see the entire final rounds of the leaders. True fans are watching to see the professionals hit the type of shots that we amateurs dream about hitting. We are watching to see the awesome scenery on the courses that the pros play. We are watching for the thrill of seeing a professional miss that four-footer that we get so angry about missing on a routine basis. That is why we watch golf. Tiger fans are watching maybe the last couple holes if he's in the final group, or maybe even just watching ESPN that evening to find out how he did. Hopefully, now that Tiger is out of the picture, we are going to get to see golf covered the way it used to be, pre-Tiger. So, NBC, PLEASE do the rest of us true fans a favor and SHOW US SOME GOLF!! And, while you are making improvements to your coverage, go ahead and fire Johnny Miller so I don't have to watch with my television muted!

Lounge Home

[ comments ]
klangdon says:
i wish the networks split screen more to multiple holes at the same time, even 4 cameras at once would work on most televisions today.
6/23/08

Kickntrue says:
I disagree with a lot of what you say. "There may be a lot of people who are drawn to the sport because of Tiger, but that is not why most people watch golf on television." I think you are wrong in this.

Not having Tiger will certainly make my viewing less. That said- I do agree that a lot more shots from everyone could be shown.

You also mention seeing great shots from great players. While this is awesome- I wish they would also should more "regular" shots. These guys do occasionally just hit a rank shot. You'd think from watching on TV that they all hit to 5 feet- and just miss putts or something.
6/23/08

ToddRobb says:
I am new to this site, which I think is great. That being said, I wasn't aware that there was a true golf fan that did not like Tiger. I would love to hear the reasons for this. I think it's the definition of "Player Hater".

If you want to see more golf shots watch the golf channel, they show tournaments with a whole host of average good players, from all over the world. Television is about ratings, Tiger gets ratings, it's not rocket science.

Tiger wins 1 in every 4 times he tees it up, the only good thing about him taking the rest of the year off is someone else is going to win for the first or second time.
6/23/08

HotBacon says:
I don't watch golf specificaly to watch TW, I watch to see any drama that happens to unfold as the leaders make the turn on Sunday afternoon. However, when you have a guy that is at the top of the leaderboard everytime he plays, alot of the drama is going to be around him.

It's the weekends that TW is tied for the lead or a few strokes back that are the most fun to watch because you know he's going to do something amazing (see Saturday of the '08 US Open). On the other hand if you have a handful of the second or third tier players, there's usually not all that much to see. I'll still tune in when the bigger names are in contention, but I don't need to watch Streelman or TA III grind out pars to limp into a nice paycheck.
6/23/08

sperry says:
all i care about is getting ahold of his paycheck while he is out. I mean that money has to go somewhere and filling up my tahoe these days at the pump is killing me.
6/23/08

TaylorFade says:
I didnt realize that you had to dislike Tiger to be a "true" golf fan. I actually enjoy watching the entire shot process. The tree-top watching, the caddie chat, the practice swings and all the other pre shot stuff. I like to see and hear what the pros are thinking and doing to prepare for a shot; they usually just end up showing the best player in the universe doing it. I wouldn't mind watching Big Easy do it or Toms or whoever. Then again, I don't need or want to see it on every shot.

I will probably watch just as much golf as I did before Tiger went out, but mainly to see what Phil can do without Tiger. My money is on Els.

Ps- Woods still wins player of the year. Nobody can match in a full yeat what he has done with only half of it.
6/23/08

Phanz88 says:
I'm most likely only going to watch the British Open and PGA Championship now, I would have watched more if TW was teeing it up.
6/24/08

enviroman22 says:
Very happy, those other players actually exist! Tiger deserves every thing he gets, and I am glad to see the "amateurs" now instead of "the One" and only One they show.
6/24/08

Snyper says:
Thank you enviro!! I'm glad to see there is at least one other TRUE fan out there! Nobody is saying Tiger isn't good or isn't even fun to watch, but there is no reason not to show more coverage of other players!! If you only watch to see his every move, you are a Tiger fan and not a golf fan! There's a big difference.
6/24/08

ToddRobb says:

On the course he has every shot in the bag, which is amazing all by itself, he gets mad when he hits a bad shot, he acknowledges the great shots, he loves a good match, but he also likes dominating. He is 156th in driving accuracy but 1st in greens in regulation. Those two stats together are amazing. That means he hits the green more often from the rough or worse, than guys standing in the fairway. Tiger keeps himself in top condition, and he is constantly trying to improve his game. Off the course, he handles the media with class, he wears nice clothes, he has a wife that is beautiful, he donates to charity and overall probably is a nice guy. I ask again, how could anyone that is a "TRUE" golf fan NOT be a Tiger fan??
6/25/08

mantajim says:
ToddRobb, WOW! I must say, you are a serious Tiger fan and not much of a Golf fan. In your world as a sports fan we should all be fans of the number one team, what ever the sport.(baseball, football, basketball etc.)Does that mean I've got to be a fan of the New York Giants or the Boston Red Socks? Thank you, NO! It's somewhat of an American tradition to cheer for the underdog. I would rather support 'David' than cheer for 'Goliath'. Don't get me wrong we may have the privilege of seeing the best golfer in history.. (Although I like to see Tiger play Bobby Jones with the same course and equipment Jones had.) So, ToddRobb,I ask you again, how could anyone that is a "TRUE" baseball fan NOT be a Boston Red Socks fan?? Come on, we all know the answer to that one.
6/25/08

Pipeliner says:
OK for one thing people need to let the whole "I'd like to see him play with the old equipment" go. Give it a rest! it's a tired argument that being said Tiger is my favorite golfer and I believe he is the best to ever tee it up. I still like to watch golf but will watch less now that he isnt playing. I'll still catch the majors and a few tourneys but dont really care who wins now. ( as long as its not Phil) call me a hater there is just something about him
6/25/08

Snyper says:
Well put mantajim. And I think Toddrobb also missed what I was saying in my last comment. I am not saying that it impossible to be a Tiger fan and also a fan of golf. I said in my comment that if you "only" watch to see Tiger's every move, then you are not a true fan. If you watch and hope for Tiger to win, that's ok. But you should also be outraged that you do not get to see anybody else play. In my opinion, if you are a real fan of the game, you want to see as many shots from as many players as possible.

When Tiger grows up and learns to respect the game, then I may someday cheer for him. Until then, I'll cheer for the guy that is grateful for the fans and the opportunity that life has given him. I'll cheer for the guy that has some class, even when he is frustrated or angry. I'll cheer for the guy that I want my kids to watch and emulate. That guy certainly is not Tiger Woods.
6/25/08

ToddRobb says:
mantajim, for you to even put Tiger in the same category with a team is a bit confusing but I guess you were trying to make a point. Being a golf fan and not liking Tiger, would be closer to being a basketball fan and not liking Michael Jordan. You might not have liked the Bulls but you sure didn't dislike Mike.
To your other point, I am no more of a Tiger fan than anyone else. But I am a HUGE golf fan.
Again, television is about ratings period. Pipeliner is a perfect example, he said he'll catch the majors and a few tourneys, multiply that same thought by millions of people and there you go.
Let's not get things twisted, Tiger's swing isn't something supernatural, it's what's inside of him that makes him Tiger. If that means he has to get angry at himself for pushing a drive 50 yards right, so be it. Anyone that has played this game knows exactly how he feels. If you want someone that acts like it's "okay", see Phil in every tournament he plays in.
6/25/08

mclovin says:
The next 6 months is gonna be tough for golf without Tiger around. We are in the Tiger-era of golf, are we not?
6/25/08

swatchable says:
TIGER WILL BE MISSED! AS OF LATE, I ONLY WATCH THE PGA TOUR WHEN TIGER IS IN THE FIELD. TIGER MAKES THE GAME INTERESTING AND AS A FAN OF GOLF YOU CAN'T HELP BUT ADMIRE HOW HE PLAYS THE GAME. I'M NOT SAYING THAT THE REST OF THE FIELD ISN'T GOOD BUT TIGER IS ON ANOTHER LEVEL AND DUE TO HARD WORK, DISCIPLINE AND GOD GIVEN TALENT, HE IS JUST BETTER! I'VE SPOKEN TO MANY FANS OF THE GAME AND MANY OF THEM FEEL THE SAME WAY. AS A MATTER OF FACT, WE'VE BEGUN WATCHING MORE LPGA TOURNAMENTS. WHY? B/C THEY ARE NICE TO LOOK AT AND YOU HAVE MANY MORE COMPETITORS THAT CHALLENGE LORENA FROM WEEK TO WEEK, AND INSIDE OF 100 YARDS THOSE GIRLS ROCK!
6/25/08

ToddRobb says:
mantajim, After reading your post again, you said
"Although I like to see Tiger play Bobby Jones with the same course and equipment Jones had."

You can give Tiger the same course and equipment as Fred Flintstone, it wouldn't matter. You actually think that some how that would be a problem for him? No wonder you agree with snyper, you guys are ORIGINAL HATERS. I hear ya, keep it real!!
6/25/08

falcon50driver says:
I find it haed to believe there are people out there who don't like Phil..
6/25/08

Pipeliner says:
I dont know why I dont. I think the "aww shucks" attitude turns me off. He's a great player without a doubt. And from everything I read and hear a great person as well. I think he may have as much or more talent than Tiger he's just not mentally on the same level. I like the focus that Tiger and athletes like him have.
6/25/08

enviroman22 says:
"Tiger deserves everything he gets." I said that.

I also said "I am glad to see the 'amateurs' now instead of 'The One and Only show'".
6/29/08

brokeinorlando says:
Injuries are part of everyday life. Tiger is human and he will be back. Enjoy the game and see who rises to the occasion, you might enjoy the coverage a bit more? I know the entire tour is salivating with the opportunity before them.
7/13/08

PapaJoe says:
TR: What exactly does, "I hear ya, keep it real!" mean??? I've seen that quote by you several times, but for the life of me I cannot put it into any kind of context that makes sense when it pertains to a quote someone else has made, or one that you have made.

Tiger has been and will be the lifeblood of professional tournament golf as long as he lives and plays the game. It is a real shame and tragedy that he has been sidelined for the rest of 2008, and possibly longer, by a bad knee. When someone of such talent and love for the sport surfaces to the top of his game and then gets knocked down and out for an undetermined amount of time I cannot think of ANY reason why anyone would be happy about the best player in the world of golf NOT being able to perform. Since the guy hit the golfing headlines as a junior, and even before, he has added more excitement to the game than any other human being to step up to the first tee of every tourney he has played in. (More)
7/22/08

PapaJoe says:
If all you guys out there are real and true golf fans you should all appreciate the state of Tiger's game, and his ability to adjust to every condition called for to swing the golf club with not only a physical ability but a mental ability to stay at the top of one of the most challenging of all sports. Is he a premadonna? Sure. Is he a male diva of the game? Absolutely! Has he earned the distinction of "Best Player In The World?" You bet! Will he eventually surpass all records previously set by Nicklaus, Hogan, Palmer, and a host of other golfing greats? Yes he will, if his muscles and bones allow him. He's pretty damn close already, and he's only 30 yrs old! Will there be anyone else in the future to best Tiger? I say a resounding, "YES!" So enjoy the guy for what he is doing now to perform in the "Best Circus In The World!" No doubt there will be another, and another, and another to come along and replace him. And no doubt he/or she will be criticized for something, too!
7/22/08

ToddRobb says:
PJ, WOW! That explains a lot!! "I hear ya" means "I understand what you are saying". "Keep it real" means "stay true to your beliefs". Maybe you actually are from another planet.

Now you have the nerve to be trying to tell us that we should appreciate Tiger??!!! After you already stated in another post that "Tiger Woods as an idol and icon for the younger generation, sucks!" Make up your mind.
7/23/08

golfray says:
Not sure what a pre madonna is but here's a definition of:
pri-+ma don-+na Pronunciation [pree-muh don-uh, 1. a first or principal female singer of an opera company.
2. a temperamental person; a person who takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience.
Hmmmmmmm
7/23/08

PapaJoe says:
ToddR: You just don't get it do you? And no doubt with your hard head, you never will. TWoods is a great golfer. He has climbed to a pinnacle in the sport that very few if any other great golfers ever did or ever will. That, and that alone, certainly doesn't make him any kind of icon or idol for the younger generation when he puts on his "classless act", as Matt Snyder has explained over and over.

Thank you for explaining, "I hear ya, keep it real!" (As if I really didn't know what it meant). Why didn't you say what you meant in the first place? Or DO you know what you mean?

And thank you, also, for distinguishing the fact that I am not from the same planet you are! I'm happy living on my own planet, and not having to put up with the likes of idiotic attitudes like yours! And to think I was actually trying to be nice to you by offering you a photograph, that no doubt, with your attitude, you could not appreciate or enjoy. And before you say it, let me say it: "My mistake!"
7/23/08

PapaJoe says:
golfray: No matter how you spell, say, or pronounce it, it all means the same thing. Unless you put a capital "M" on madonna. Your number 2 definition hits the nail on the head pertaining to TWoods. Thank you, and thank "Webster". Ain't oobGolf great?
7/23/08

PapaJoe says:
ToddR: To quote you in some recent quotes:

"I am no more of a Tiger fan than anyone else. But I am a HUGE golf fan."

Another quote by you:

"Snyper, WOW! I must say, you just lost a whole bunch of credibility with me. How is it even possible to be a golf fan without being a Tiger fan??? Tiger is the closest thing we have seen to the perfect golfer."

Did I, "Hear ya" correctly? Is that, "Keepin' it real?"

Sounds like a double indemnity, double cross over hitting a hook when you meant to hit a fade! You looooooovvvve Tiger! Be proud of it!
7/23/08

golfray says:
Hmmmmmmm
Still don't get it do you? Have another beer !
7/24/08

ToddRobb says:
PJ, I'm not even thinking about saying "my mistake". You obviously realized you are all over the place with your post, now you are trying to save face. So now I'm an idiot?? I guess you told me huh...

First you jump in the Tiger hater nation with Snyper, then you give us a summary of how you raised you kids, then you go into a infomercial about photography, then you realize how stupid you sound by saying Tiger isn't a good role model so you try to be "nice" by offering me some LAME photoshop altered pictures.

I said, "I am no more of a Tiger fan than anyone else. But I am a HUGE golf fan". I don't know if you noticed but most people are Tiger fans, which would mean that if "I am no more of a Tiger fan than anyone else" that would make me a Tiger fan wouldn't it? You and Snyper are pretty much the only golfers I have ever heard say they don't like Tiger.
7/24/08

ToddRobb says:
You said "He has climbed to a pinnacle in the sport that very few if any other great golfers ever did or ever will. That, and that alone, certainly doesn't make him any kind of icon or idol for the younger generation when he puts on his "classless act"." Again with the kids??? Dude, let it go, the "younger generation" will be fine after seeing Tiger get mad.

Also, thank you for admitting "I'm happy living on my own planet". Why don't you go back to that planet with the pictures you took of Ben Hogan's back swing.
7/24/08

PapaJoe says:
Dude??? Gee, TR, you sure know how to insult a guy! And apparently that's about all you wish to accomplish by your lack of recall, language skills and certainly lack of appreciation for what makes a golfer good, versus what makes a golfer great, and then how a good or great golfer should present himself on and off the golf course. Twoods as a great golfer, is only halfway there! Hear me? Am I keepin' it real? I seriously doubt it, because with you nothing is real except in your own little closed world and tunnel vision mind. I bet you are as insulting on the golf course as you are on oobGolf. (More, of course)
7/24/08

PapaJoe says:
Oh, by the way. Ben Hogan's photo of his 1-iron swing at the 18th hole of the 1950 U.S. Open at Merion CC was one of the most famous, cherished and appreciated golf photographs of all time. And guess what? Hogan didnGÇÖt curse the photographer who was standing immediately behind him when he clicked the shutter. Hogan was a GREAT golfer, on and off the golf course. But then IGÇÖm sure you wouldnGÇÖt agree with that, either! I only WISH I had taken that photo!!! But thanks for thinking of me. Cheers, TR!
7/24/08

ToddRobb says:
You get more golf ignorant with every post, and the funny part is, I can keep you going just by responding to you. There's no way you would ever let me get the last word. It seems that you like being on your soapbox, so I'm going to keep responding to you as long as I can, so you can continue to show everyone on oob how golf ignorant you are.

Oh, and by the way, the picture is not Hogan's backswing, it's his finish. Maybe that's the problem, stupid ass photographers like you don't know the difference.
7/24/08

ToddRobb says:
PJ, I know you're never going to shut up, how about a round of golf to see who shuts the @#$% up? You play your course, I'll play mine, the low score wins. The winner gets the last word. You have ignorant golf beliefs, and overall you're a pompous jerk, I don't want discuss this any longer but I don't want you to get the last word because you're so golf ignorant. So what do you say old man??
7/24/08

PapaJoe says:
TR: And just when I was beginning to like you. My, oh, my, what a big mouth you have! And that big mouth is only superseded by your golfing and photographic ignorance! Hogan's famous published photograph was the LAST in a series from start to finish. But then you wouldn't know that either because of your termerity to choose only the worst of any situation. Again you prove your ignorance of the English language by the use of @#$%! Who "at's, number signs, dollars, percents, up?" Say what you mean, Todd. Keep it real. You've got my e-mail address. Sticks and stones, blah, blah, blah, blah!
7/25/08

PapaJoe says:
Do you actually think I would trust you to post an honest score on your little pre supposed battlefield of golf? No way! In your oobGolf "column" post about a skins game I said I would trust you. I thought you had a pretty good idea. I've changed my mind. After all, your last name is "Rob(b)". I'm growing tired and weary of this ping-pong match. Buh-bye! That's my last word. What's yours? And please don't say, "Put up or shut up." That's so droll. But then I'm sure you'll say what you want. After all, if nothing else, you are entertaining!
7/25/08

ToddRobb says:
So you're full of shit and you're a pussy... tough break.

You said, "Hogan's famous published photograph was the LAST in a series from start to finish."

Just to prove my point that you're full of shit, why don't you find a copy of any of the pictures of Hogan's back swing of the famous 1 iron at Merion CC. You won't be able to do it because they don't exist. You made that up, again, to try and save face.

Also, it figures you would play the "trust" card to get out of stepping outside.

Am I keeping it real enough for ya??
7/25/08

PapaJoe says:
TR: Nope! You're not keeping it real for me or anyone else! And you're getting more degrading, tasteless, and offensive, by the minute! I have NOTHING further to prove to you because no matter what proof is offered you about ANYTHING you will no doubt will counter it with more senseless crap and offenensive language expletives. Thank you for showing your true self! I don't think that is what's wanted or needed on this web site! When I asked of you that you speak, or write, "proper" English you come up with foul language! Which only shows to everyone your classless act, as Tiger Woods displays only because he thinks he is a super star and can get away with or say whatever he wants. Sorry, Tiger, that I compared you with this little man who thinks he is keeping it "real".

And to the "oobGolf" staff: I apologize to everyone for any and all tasteless language I may have caused another "oobGolf" member to bring forth to this respected web site. I'm sure he knows not what he says!
7/25/08

ToddRobb says:
Thank you, now MAYBE you'll finally shut up.
7/25/08

PapaJoe says:
Now, why would I want to do that, TR? You're just too much fun... filthy mouthed, uninformed, tasteless and classless, but fun! Let's put it to a vote for the other oobGolf members, those who really have something worthy to say. Who wants both Todd and myself to shut the hell up? Are you all tired of hearing this useless dribble and idiotic nonsense? Your silence is indicative of "No opinion, could care less!"

Todd, I'm guessing no one out there really cares enough to voice an opinion. After all, I have no idea why you got so upset! You make absolutely no sense by what you say. And speaking for myself, I could care less what you think or say, no matter how much of a garbage mouth you are! But as I said before, you ARE entertaining, pretty much like a bad Jerry Springer TV show!

You shut up, too! You useless little imbecile!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! (Audience laughs, too!)
7/25/08

ToddRobb says:
PJ, You've got some serious issues, I'm done. No need for anyone to respond, you win.

Yaaayyyyy!
7/26/08

Todd, I'll miss you. Love, PapaJoe

7/26/08

PapaJoe says:
And now back to the real issue at hand.

Matt, I agree with you 100% about the "Tiger syndrome" and the TV media coverage. The "TV Guide", or TV news warns us far enough ahead of time when there will be 'Tiger TV' on the Golf Channel or ESPN so that can be tuned out with no problem. I know it is probably an imposition for most people, and a hassle for others, but my solution to NOT watching every minute of Tiger TV is to tape the tournaments, especially the majors that he plays in. I just love that 'FAST FORWARD' button on my remote! And I also use it for Johnny Miller's comments. Not only can I watch a four-hour tournament coverage in about two hours, I can do it by seeing ONLY what I want to see and hear. Believe it or not I do tune in to an occasional Tiger shot because if you filter through enough crap he does pull off some good ones every once in a while. Cheers!
7/26/08

komega19 says:
Gents, that was great! What a way to wash away my pathetic excuse for a game... I am sure my secretary is thinking I am nuts this morning, because of the laughter emitting from my office.

On to the TW Vs. "The World"... I, too, have difficulty watching Eldrick, as that is completely destroys my confidence in my game... "... fairway waste bunker.... two hundred and eighteen out... what's he got Gary? An eight iron?....." I hate that.

On another note, his victories come with, what I believe, inferior equipment. According to most reviews and Golf publications (other than the Sumo) NIKE ranks in the bottom rung of almost every catagory.... Hmm, why is that?
7/28/08

ToddRobb says:
komega, I agree that Tiger's equipment is not the best that's out there, which just goes to show us that at the end of the day, the equipment doesn't matter as much as the player that's using it. It's well documented that the shaft is the most important part of any club for ball flight, I would love to know if Tiger's Nike clubs have Nike shafts or someone else's (which is very common). They pay him a truck load of money to play there "inferior" equipment, and he's still number 1 in the world.

Remember when Phil said " Tiger's playing with inferior equipment", he was right, and that was at least 10 years ago. They have made advancements, but still have a lot of catching up to do.
7/28/08

PapaJoe says:
komega19: You're welcome for the "Laurel and Hardy" show! Or, "3 Stooges", or the condensed "Jerry Springer" show, whichever fits. I really thought the 2-week verbage was all in good fun! I only wish others had enjoyed and appreciated our comments in the vain which they were posted, mine anyway. Unfortunately it seemed TR was insulted by some of it and got a bit carried away with his replies! No harm done and no offense taken I hope! As my late wife used to say, "Life's too short to hate!" I hate no one and hope the feeling is mutual.
-----------------
8/2/08

komega19 & ToddRobb,

Here's a "club profile" of what Tiger Woods was using during the U.S. Open. Interesting to say the least!

Driver: Nike SQ Tour 7.5-¦ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard Shaft

3 Wood: Nike SQ II 15-¦ w Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard

5 Wood: Nike SQ II 19-¦

Irons (3-PW): Nike Blades with True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedge (SW): Nike Pro Combo 56-¦

Wedge (LW): Nike VR 60-¦

Putter: Scotty Cameron by Titleist TW prototype

Ball: Nike One Platinum (labeled with GÇ£TigerGÇ¥)

I can't see where any of this should be considered "inferior" as Phil Mickelson states. Especially the "True Temper Dynamic Golf" shafts used in his irons. In my opinion the best all around shaft for a swinger of Tiger's caliber!
8/2/08

PapaJoe says:
Todd, what's happened buddy? Been missing you on the comments column? Haven't been able to get through with my new password? Tickles to 'ye. PapaJ
8/6/08

blue_crush says:
todd quote.....
Tiger is the closest thing we have seen to the perfect golfer. no tiger
________________________________

not so, thats why he still trying to break jacks records and a few others too. I'll go on record right now and say that tiger has only a couple of more years in him and that's going to be it. why, this Dubai golf deal is going to net him about 45mil. why would he ever need to go out have to grind away ever again. I see him breaking jacks record and that's gonna be it. I don't see him ever making it to the champions tour, or even playing past 40 except in a few select events... plus hes just not a golf god,
he just a person like you and me that plays good golf.
9/2/08

komega19 says:
Well, it became clear that he has found SOMETHING else to do in his time away from the course. Poor guy, I hope he can afford to care for 2 children!
9/3/08

blue_crush says:
for sure... with 10millon last year for the fed-X and now 45mil, with that kind of money it makes working hard any more seem foolish...lol
9/3/08

komega19 says:
Thanks for the "bag" info.. I am slowly learning of the "true" importance of the shaft, and just had an Aldila NVS in my Burner and WOW! Wish I had the $$ to do all of them.
9/4/08

DSTROYR36 says:
I think we first have to acknowledge the fact that if it was not for this phenom in the world of golf, golf would still be considered just golf, not a sport. Tiger has done more for golf than Ben, Arnold, or Jack combined!
9/6/08

DSTROYR36 says:
He made it a competitive sport that has caught the attention of many, young and old alike. Not to mention what he is doing for the future of golf. Look at the amount of cash these guys are raking in! If they place last in each event, they still make more money than most. Just ask the big companies(Nike, Taylormade, Ping etc,) what their profit margins were before and what they are now since Tiger's arrival on the scene. Their sales have gone through the roof! With him being out, the game suffers. We suffer. I think we should hope and pray his return to golf is a speedy one. His work ethic and focus is admirable. There is not a person in the world who does not know who he is. He is not football player, or a baseball player, he is a Golfer, and he belongs to our sport! Matt should step into the new era of golf and embrace it! All hail the new King!
9/6/08

Snyper says:
What Tiger has done for the game is natural anytime someone dominates any sport. Jordan, Gretzky, Jeter...they have all done the same things in their sport because of their dominating ability. Jack and Arnie did the same thing when they played, except they did it with class. They put golf on the map in their day. Tiger's talent is furthering the sport just as their's did. However, he could do so much more if he wasn't a total arrogant jerk. His talent furthering the game is much different than "him" furthering the game. It's just too bad that a guy whom the game of golf has given so much, doesn't respect the game enough to give back all that he can.
9/7/08

ToddRobb says:
Snyper, it must be tough living in Tiger denial land. Arrogant jerk?? Is the rest of the world missing something? He is the highest paid athlete in the world off the field of competition. I guess Nike, Buick, TAG Heuer, American Express, Gillette, Gatorade, EA sports, Accenture, Golf Digest, NetJets, TLC Laser Eye Centers, General Mills and Upper Deck all have gotten it wrong for giving a truck load of money to such an arrogant jerk to sell their products.

I'm jus curious, what else do you think Tiger could or should be doing to help "furthering the game"?
9/8/08

ToddRobb says:
blue, If you think the reason Tiger is playing is for the money, and that since he can make millions doing other things that he'll stop competing, you don't quite understand that what separates Tiger is his DESIRE to compete. He hasn't had to worry about money from the day he announced he turned pro. $105 million from Nike from day one. You think now that he's picked up course design as a hobby that he won't want to play anymore? Maybe not the champions tour, but I think he will be playing championship golf well into his 40's just like Vijay.
9/8/08

9/14/08

blue_crush says:
I for one won't be surprise to see him play another couple of years and them retire due to bad knees and bow out with what ever wins he has and call it good...
and is it just me, or how can someone so rich go to clubhouse after a major or any PGA event and not ever buy a round for the guys... it is well known that he never picks up the bill. I don't hate him, and I do admire his talents, I just wouldn't enjoy a round of golf with him. he doesn't strike me as the kind of golfer I would like to play with.
PS, Todd
the reason tiger competes, was his dad, pure and simple. he never wanted to let his dads hopes of having a great player down. with his dad gone now and a family of his own things are different, his life is better now and he is looking for other things to do so he can be a better parent to his kids.
9/15/08

frank1121 says:
i am freaken happy he is over rated good but over rated after the 3 year of him winning it get old and you kind of lose the suspence of the game with him that is why i like the under dogs of the PGA they are the ones i like.

i have a Q i am 21 and i want to know is he realy a muslam. or is that a rummer that is going around.

another Q i have played at DeGray Golf corse and Glenwood in Arkansas and the ones at Hot Springs Vally and the DeGray seems to be the funnist and Glenwood is the most chalenging to me and they are cheeper that helps (in college) but why are the ones in Hot Spring Vally so over rated then. and i hear that from every one. if it is why go their every week then.

sorry for my spelling i type to slow and i type to fast
1/6/09

XanMan says:
I agree! I'm also tired of hearing that a particular shot Tiger made was "brilliant" and if one of the other players made that exact shot, it was ok or good! What about when the camera gets in his face so much you can count the pimples on his face? GROSS! It's all about Tiger! Well, now we can as was stated, watch others. I hate that Tiger is hurt yet again but maybe if he didn't swing so dad gum hard, he wouldn't be! Watch Freddy or Davis Love, they don't swing near as hard as Tiger yet they get it out there some 330 or so.
7/1/09

falcon50driver says:
Frank1121, You got into college? You're kidding, right?
7/20/09

H Head says:
Wow...think of all everyone here posted....and NOW Look at where THE GREAT ONE's Life has gone. He has pulled a Houdini since his getting caught skating in the sexcapades. Too bad...but NO ONE was or ever will be bigger then the game. PERIOD.
12/23/09

bill27 says:
yo i think this will be a good thing because it will let other player have a chance to win
1/24/10