Who's missing???? Ahh...that's right, we won!
Tiger Key to Ryder Cup Win for the First Time!
By Snyper on 9/24/08
By Matt Snyder, oobgolf contributer

Let me first say that Ryder Cup golf can be AWESOME! I saw just about every single shot from every player over the course of the three days and I could have watched for another week solid! It is so encouraging, as a fan, to see those guys out there giving 100% for no other reason than to win for their team and their country. The emotions that they convey leave no room for doubt in anyone's mind that they are putting it all on the line with every shot they hit. I have never routed for any player to succeed as much as I routed for our entire team during those three days of competition. I felt the rush of every great wedge that danced around the pin and I felt the crushing disappointment of every lipped out ten-footer. I was almost in tears when I watched Kenny Perry give his interview and then embrace his father. If the Ryder Cup experience did not move and captivate you, someone should check your pulse. The golf fans that pay for professional golfers to live the lavish lifestyles' of superstars got their money's worth during this year's Ryder Cup weekend.

The biggest and best part of this whole weekend was that the fans got to watch shots being hit by every different player out there throughout the weekend. The camera was constantly changing holes and players. It was non-stop action, and that is saying something when you are talking about golf coverage. Finally, the networks did an excellent job of covering a golf tournament. Obviously, we cannot give them all the credit. We have to thank Tiger for not being there. Not only did that allow us to watch way more golfers and golf shots, but it was also the single largest key to the American success. You cannot put this guy on any type of team and expect them to succeed. He hasn't been anywhere close to helping the U.S. win a Ryder Cup in his five tries. In fact, he almost single handedly cost us the Cup when he was on the winning team in 1999. He only contributed two points out of the five matches he played! One of those points was a close win over Andrew Coltart in the singles match play. That's right, Andrew Coltart! I don't know who he is either, but it took Tiger 16 holes to beat him! Tiger's personality and his attitude just do not lend themselves to the team spirit or chemistry in any way. He is out there to win for Tiger and for Tiger's bank account. Is it some sort of coincidence that this guy is the best in the world when there is money to be won, but a small insignificant nothing in the Ryder Cup when the only prize is a sense of team pride? I think not. He is nothing more than motivation for the Europeans and false sense of hope for the Americans. I'll take a solid golfer who "wouldn't trade 10 million dollars for this" (A. Kim) over the best golfer in the world who doesn't really care if he wins or not every time.

So thank you Team USA for the time, work, and emotion that you put into this last weekend of golf. You made golf fans and your country proud of you and the game that we love so much. Paul Azinger, you deserve to be mentioned with the greatest names in golf, not just because you captained the best Ryder Cup team that this country has seen since your days as a player, but also because you are one of the greatest individuals to ever pick up a golf club. This weekend was just another chance for the world to see that. I thought it was awesome to see Payne Stewart's kids riding around in your cart all weekend. You did your country proud with how you carried yourself since the moment you were named captain two years ago, right through your post victory interview that had me in tears. I think fans sometimes forget that fifteen years ago, you were diagnosed with cancer and questioned whether you would ever play the game again. Well, you played again, you won again, and now you are the poster child for giving back to the game and the country that you love. I guess when you have beaten cancer, beating the Europeans seems like a pretty small task.

[ comments ]
Kickntrue says:
I don't disagree per se- but it is tough to swallow the idea that having the best isn't good for you. Assuming Tiger is healthy in 2 years- he will easily qualify for the Ryder Cup Team. What is the solution? Do you ask him to step down? Do you just not put him in big matches? Can you imagine what it would be like if you only played him in Sunday singles matches? Or do you try to motivate him to be a team player?
9/24/08

mbills1015 says:
who says he's not necessarily a team player -- there are alot of factors that go into his win loss record as a player. In the alternate shot format for instance there's not much you can do when your partner puts you in a bad position. The set-up of the Ryder Cup is one in which a win by Tiger is no more or less important than a win by Leonard or Mahan. Seems like a Tiger hater finally had an oportunity to take another swing and went for it. I do agree however that the event was incredibly captivating and maybe my favorite golf competition of the year to watch.
9/24/08

pjsnyc says:
Sorry, but you are wrong wrong wrong about the Tiger factor. Do you really think the networks would have only brought one camera if Tiger was in the field? Do you really think Tiger doesn't care about team pride? Unless he specifically told you so, these statements are completely nonsensical and unfounded.
9/24/08

twood says:
This is just wrong. I don't buy any of it.
9/24/08

IronHead says:
I absolutely agree that Tiger not being there helped. I'll take it a step further. I read a blurb that I found in a link from this site stating how Tiger should have at least made the trip to Valhalla to watch team USA play. Not only am I glad he didn't play, I'm glad he didn't step foot on the course. When Tiger is on a course it is all about Tiger. And rightfully so, he's Tiger. But all the coverage Tiger's knee and Elin's pregnancy would have been detrimental to what Azinger was able to acomplish with (was it)6 rookies and no Tiger Woods media circus. And face it, compared to what he does to the competition during the regular season events his Ryder Cup record is not all that. (7-11-2).
9/24/08

TheBrownCrayon says:
Another thing, if we put Tiger in the morning, and the Euro's beat him, it is a huge rallying point for them. "Cherio, we just beat the best player in the world. That was gleeful," or however they talk.
9/24/08

Kickntrue says:
TheBrownCrayon- that just had me rolling. Reminds me of a couple scenes in Idiocracy where they make fun of the way Luke Wilson "talks all smart."
9/25/08

mantajim says:
I was so glad that Tiger didn't play or show. Heck, his e-mailing Azinger got coverage, imagine the disruption his appearance would have caused. The American team was just that a TEAM working together and encouraging each other. I got the feeling any of the players would have been glad to be paired with any of the other players. Contrast that with the matching of Tiger with Phil a while back,no pats on the back, no help, nothing but daggers. It was so nice to see Phil and A. Kim to truely enjoy each others company and play. There's no Tiger in TEAM.
9/25/08

pjsnyc says:
While I would agree Tiger not showing up to show his support probably helped, it still does not justify the comments made in the article above. Him not showing up to show his support is one thing (and a good thing since he didn't want to distract), but making the assumption that he's not a team player is another.
9/25/08

Snyper says:
I'm right there with ya jim. You are exactly right! You can look at Tiger's record, which is terrible, and also at HIM when he is in Ryder Cups. His behavior is still all about Tiger. It's just like mantajim said, "There's no Tiger in TEAM" but there is certainly an I in Tiger!
9/25/08

pjsnyc says:
"There ain't no 'we' [in team] either" ...doesn't make the opinion of this article any more true.
9/25/08

mbills1015 says:
Are you saying that as big of a competitor that Tiger Woods is... he just doesn't care if he wins or not in his Ryder Cup matches?? Anyone who knows someone that is super competitive understands, you could be playing "spoons" and that person wants to win. I'm going out on a limb to say that in order to be #1 in the world and maybe the greatest golfer ever you have to be super competitive and therefore want to win every match.
I attribute his bad Ryder Cup record to the nature and difficulty of match play events. Its the same reason you see big name players knocked out every year in the Accenture match play event... its difficult to beat fellow pros whether your better than them or not on one particular 18. Again, we're not talking about a 4-day event.
9/25/08

mbills1015 says:
Last I checked you couldn't find anyone with anything bad to say about Tiger Woods after his sudden death match play event against Ernie Els back in I believe the '03 Presidents Cup. SO they won w/o Tiger congrats to the US, I would still take him over Justin Leonard, Hunter Mahan, Boo Weekly or anybody else for the next Ryder Cup.
9/25/08

mrtimb says:
My two cents, I think Tiger's "drawback" is just the fact that for most of the year, he's out on the course to win, to annihilate, to destroy his fellow competitors. Now, put him in the foursomes, and that just doesn't necessarily cut it. Like someone mentioned the match where him and Phil were paired a couple years ago. It's nothing against Tiger, it just shows his extreme competitive nature. But if I was a kindergarten teacher, and Tiger was in my class, I'd have to give him an unsatisfactory on "Ability to play well with others". I think that's all it boils down to. He's probably the greatest individual golfer to ever play, but, that doesn't make him good for the team, team chemistry, or his fellow teammate he's paired with.
9/25/08

ToddRobb says:
I wanted to see how long it would take for Snyper to write this very article, I had the "over" of 2 days after it ended. First off,,, tears?? come on.. it made for good television. I thought it started getting little old with all the hooping and hollerin after every shot. Snyper, I give you credit for sticking to your beliefs, but that's it. I know it's hard work trying to find reasons to hate someone that's as good as Tiger is,, nice try but you need to keep looking. As a matter of fact, it was a "coincidence". Do you hate Tiger enough to ACTUALLY think they would have lost if he was there??? nice try
9/25/08

ToddRobb says:
mr t, I agree with you. The last time I checked, golf wasn't a "team" sport. Who knew that in order to be the best golfer EVER, you have to be selfish. I guess we all know now. The funny thing is, I don't see that as a bad thing. Tiger not being a team player is what separates him from the rest of the average great golfers that are out there. That is so true about him in kindergarten, that stuff starts at the very beginning.
9/25/08

mantajim says:
Gee, ToddRobb why ask a question if you already know the answer . . . "Do you . . . ACTUALLY think they would have lost if he was there???",your answer, "Tiger not being a team player is what separates him from the rest of the average great golfers that are out there." What don't you get, to win the Ryder Cup, all the players need to be TEAM players. He's not and that's OK, Tiger just shouldn't be a Ryder Cup player. And just to calm you down let me say, Tiger . . is . . the . . best . . golfer . . ever ;-)
9/26/08

ToddRobb says:
mantajim, FINALLY you admit it ;-).. so I guess all of the losses before this year were Tigers fault? but seriously, it's well documented that some players that are on teams don't make good teammates with the team they happen to be on. Sometimes it takes them to be traded to play to their full potential(see Manny Ramirez and C.C. Sabathia). That's understood. I do believe that Tiger should have stayed away just for the mere fact that he couldn't play. But for anyone to think that the reason we won is because Tiger wasn't there is just crazy talk. All this Team player stuff is all bullshit, what wins the Ryder Cup is making putts. You don't need team players to make putts, the US made putts all weekend, that's why we won, not because Tiger wasn't there. BTW, put me on record for saying I think A. Kim is going to be the next "Tiger" (did I say that out loud?)
9/26/08

badgolfergreg says:
I sometimes think people write outrageous balony just to "troll" for comments and attention. I believe this to be the case here, still, I'll add my 2 cents...I'm with ToddRobb above. Were all previous Cup losses Tiger's fault? The "team" argument doesn't hold water, other than just the camaraderie and encouragement aspect. Bottom line-it still comes down to each individual's shots. Phil is #2 in the world, what did he contribute? What did Sergio do for the Euros? Not much in either case but neither one was personally responsible for the loss (in Sergio's case) or the win in (Phil's case). The point is, NOBODY knows what Tiger would or would'nt have contributed and to write such tripe suggesting that somehow you do know the outcome is rediculous and is obviously nothing more than continued Tiger hatred. This is nothing more than meaningless drivel.
9/26/08

kidputter says:
I believe all this talk is because we are all ORDINARY people. Tiger is EXTRAORDIARY. We can relate to guys like Boo and Kenny Perry. We like them better because it gives us hope. We like them because they helped do something Tiger was unable to pull off. If Tiger plays in 2 years and destroys his opponents like we know he is capable of, the argument will be for naught.
Way to go USA. Good luck in the recovery and the future new baby, Tiger.
9/26/08