Golfing Headwear
By Snyper on 10/6/10
Matt is an opinionated* golf enthusiast from Pennsylvania. He coaches at the high school level, molding the minds and swings of our next generation. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and opinions of Matt in the comments. Don't hold back- because Matt won't.

This year has, without a doubt, been a successful one for the young guns on the PGA Tour. With their success, golf fans of all ages have been exposed to some of the crazy fashions of these crazy kids. We could talk about the hairstyles, bright colors, plaid, or flashy belts, but today I want to focus on the various styles of headgear that are in style for today's golfers.

Let's highlight the traditional baseball cap first and foremost. This is still the overwhelming favorite and most popular among golfers of all ages. It used to be cool for everyone to bend the brim of these hats so that the curve of the bill was rounded to match the curve of your face ala Steve Stricker. However, guys like Rickie Fowler have begun to swing the style of the bill back to the flat and straight look of my dad’s generation. Growing up, we made fun of people who didn’t have a rounded brim on their hat. Now, it has become the cool thing to do, and that is just one of the many signs that I’m starting to get old. One of the major upgrades in the baseball cap style of golf hats is the magnetic insert in the bill. Whether you bend it or leave it straight, the magnetic bill that holds your ball marker is an excellent addition this traditional style of headgear. Now, I recognize that it is probably a little more popular among the professional women than the men, but I'm comfortable enough with my masculinity to tell you that I rarely ever play golf anymore without wearing a hat with a magnetic bill. It saves me from digging in my pockets and looking for a ball marker while everyone waits for me to mark my ball. I love it and would recommend giving one a try if the baseball cap is your style of choice.

A close relative to the baseball cap, though nowhere close to as popular, is the visor. I really like visors for the fact that, in the hot summer sun, they are much cooler (temperature wise) than wearing a hat. However, it has been my experience that you have to have the right type of hairstyle to properly pull off the visor. The perfect example of someone who is born to wear visor is Ian Poulter. The short spiked hair just works perfectly with this classic choice for headgear. Phil Mickelson pulls off the visor pretty well also, even though he sports a longer shaggier style of hair. In some cases, a shaved head works ok with this choice as well. However, I would recommend using plenty of sunscreen on the top of your dome if you go with this choice.

Speaking of avoiding sunburn, the best choice of headgear for saving your skin from the sun is definitely the bucket hat. This style of lid does an excellent job keeping the sun off of your ears and neck. Not only is it a functional form of sunscreen, the bucket hat is little bit more exciting compliment for your cranium than more traditional visors or baseball caps. Before the magnetic brim addition to the baseball cap, the bucket was my style of choice. I liked it because it was relatively unique and I never had to worry about spreading sunscreen all over my face and neck. About the only time that I go back to the bucket hat is in the rain. Whether it is a waterproof bucket hat or not, the bucket style is great in the rain because you do not have to deal with the water dripping off the brim while you are trying to hit a shot. I would much rather my hats just absorb the water than have it dripping in my face. So, though I have made the switch, I do still keep a bucket hat handy in case of rain. I wish I could think of a tour guy that sports the bucket style, but I can't remember seeing the bucket hat on the PGA circuit for a long time. Help me out if you can think of someone!

While fashions in golf have seen little change in the recent years, it appears that big changes are coming. Whether it is John Daly or Rickie Fowler, new styles are showing up every week on tour. Perhaps the most stagnant fashion accessory has been the hat. The baseball cap has been the standard ever since knickers and ties left the game. However, changes in headgear seem to be just around the corner. The baseball cap will likely always remain, but how it is worn continues to change. So what is your lid of choice and what about that style intrigues you? I think everyone has a favorite golf hat that just seems to have that special feel. For me, it’s a white and black Titelist baseball cap with a magnetic ball marker on the bill. How bout you?

* Matt's views and opinions are his own do not necessarily reflect those of oobgolf.

[ comments ]
Kickntrue says:
Umm... the most famous bucket hat in golf, ever... CARL SPACKLER!!! But yah, beyond Caddyshack I'm not sure I've seen a bucket except maybe here and there in the British Open.

knthornt says:
Wasn't Jeff Overton wearing a bucket hat at the Ryder Cup?

Dazinkster says:
I'm a visor person, but then I have a short spiky hairstyle. I also use a magnetic hat clip and completly agree with your comments about it, saves loads of time and effort!
10/6/10

I wear bucket hats sometimes. I wear just about anything as long as i think it serves a purpose. :)

TravisMiller says:
I normally use a cap with or without the magnetic ball marker. I also have a hat that is a cross between a bucket hat and a fedora. I like it when I know it is going to be a very clear day down here in the desert because of the broader brim for extra sun protection.

dc8ce says:
Currently sporting a baseball cap with a magnetic clip & ball marker attached (a sweet University of Missouri Tigers one I found on TGW.com). I'm thinking of making the switch to the painter's cap, ala Rickey Barnes. Our regular course just got some in with their logo and they're pretty snazzy.

tcjonny says:
@knthornt yup, Overton was rockin the bucket hat...

lcgolfer64 says:
I'm a straight ballcap guy unless the weather is really cold (40's and 30') then I'll switch out to a skull-cap style wool hats.

I have to admit I was on here earlier ripping the younger guys fashion style (along with caps) but I have to man-up and say that I was wrong and the newer looks are growing on me, though I'm 'too old' for it.

A few of my golf buds are young enough to pull it off. One does the Dustin J look with the slightly reverse rounded bill on the cap. It works for him.

Envythepea says:
Bubba Watson used to wear a bucket on occasion if I recall. I always thought they made you look more like a fisherman than a golfer, but I guess they're kinda cool now. I wear a visor mostly because it keeps me cooler when the temps climb close to 100.
10/6/10

Now that the weather is cooling down I will soon be breaking out my signature visor+wool beanie hat combo, to the chagrin of my friends.

Swingem says:
The next big thing-Cigar Guy Turban!

bducharm says:
Tommy Armour III pulls off the visor very nicely - he's just the essence of cool. I like visors as well however because of some missing items on top, I seem to get a nice sunburn on my melon!!!

falcon50driver says:
I was at a baseball game recently and counted over a dozen young guys with their baseball caps on backwards. They were all using their hand to shield their eyes from the sun. I guess it's the price you pay to be fashionable. I hear that the reason the bill of a farmers cap is rounded, is from looking in the mailbox for that government check.
10/6/10

lately i have been going with the Lee westwood look, NO HAT. I have been playing some good rounds and maybe its cause not wearing a hat is one less thing to worry about?? When it is hot though i have to wear a hat so sweat is not dripping in my eyes. and i dont think golf hats fit nearly as good as baseball hats. golf hats seem to be smaller and not cover more of the head like a real baseball hat does, just feels different and looks different to me. is that just me?

lcgolfer64 says:
@merlin
Ouch... (but gave me a chuckle!!)

Duke of Hazards says:
LOL @ Swingem

Kurt the Knife says:
Greg Norman panama.
Kangol Wool Lahinch for the winter.

Kurt the Knife says:
I might try that turban thing.

edgy.

askarzy says:
Statistics show that I play my best golf with no hat.

edditude says:
I got so many types I like those Kango hats and the Titliest bucket hats. I loved the hats that Payne Stewart had with the knickers and I got some of the berets too.

cpercy says:
In the cold of winter you can't beat the ball cap with a polar fleece beanie pulled down over the top to cover your ears. Keep it stylin with a B&W Titleist cap and the matching B&W Titleist fleece beanie, and by all means throw in the ball marker. I also like a nice wool cap if its not to cold for my ears to be out.

cpercy says:
P.S. anyone know where I can get one of those turbans with a bill on it?

Coolbob says:
I've got an old bucket cap that I cut the top panel out around the seam. I get the great rim of the bucket with the cooler temp of the visor. Of course it's not good in the rain :)
10/7/10

Felipe Rojas says:
I use a hat from Tilley, a Canadian company. These hats are great if your skin is too sensitive to the sun, which is my case. They block UV and protect your face and neck. Not very cool to wear, though, as baseball caps are much popular. When I play late in the afternoon, I prefer not to war a hat at all.
10/7/10

I've got a Nike baseball-style running cap I wear most of the time. During early spring or late fall, if it's cold enough, I wear my UnderArmour hat.
10/8/10

manny.101 says:
No hat for me although i do sport the Callaway Beanie with Pom Pom on the top for the winter time.
10/8/10