Finally, The Day Has Come
By Snyper on 11/15/10
Matt is an opinionated* golf enthusiast from Pennsylvania. He coaches at the high school level, molding the minds and swings of our next generation. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and opinions of Matt in the comments. Don't hold back- because Matt won't.

Ever since I watched him play as a teenager, I never cared much for Mr. Tiger Woods. I can remember watching him win amateur events and wishing, even then, that he would get his butt kicked when he turned pro. Well, it didn't quite play out that way, but it never stopped me from rooting against him. The sad thing is, he was so talented that I actually wanted to like him. But, alas, every time that I began to think that maybe I could route for him, he would start slamming clubs, cursing out fans, swearing at the top of his lungs, blaming camera men for every bad shot, and remind me of just how much of a true jerk he really was.

Despite all of his character flaws and personality problems, it was very unpopular to route against Tiger. I was continually being reminded of how wrong I was for not liking him because he “has done so much for the game” or “he is so talented”. Well, it’s pretty obvious that you can’t deny the guy’s talent. However, I can make a pretty good argument that he has done as much damage as good for the game. Sure, he’s brought money and mainstream media to the sport, but how does that help me? The number of people who play golf has steadily declined over the last 10 years. Golf courses all over the country are still being turned into housing developments because they can’t turn a profit. That’s not what I call helping the game! His talent has made for more money in the pockets of other professionals and his sponsors, but that’s about it. On the downside, he has spread the message that golf is not a gentlemen’s game, it’s a game of yelling, swearing, breaking clubs, and blaming others for your shortcomings. He’s said to young people that it is ok to act like a total jerk if you are playing poorly and at no time should you ever take joy in the success of others. If someone else succeeds, you don’t congratulate them, you rant and rave about your failure. For me, that is the legacy of Tiger Woods. It always has been and it always will be.

When news of his adulteress lifestyle came to light, I was hardly surprised. In fact, I almost expected it. Why would you expect someone who is a total jerk in front of the camera to be anything less than that when the camera is off? In my opinion, the best thing to come out of this past year of Tiger drama is that fans of golf have finally woken up to who Tiger Woods really is. Finally, people have said that enough is enough. Finally, fans of the game are rooting against this guy and his message of arrogance and self-pity. Finally, people are remembering how great the game of golf is with or without Tiger Woods. And, finally, Tiger Woods is no longer the best player in the world.

The part that I love the most is that it wasn’t an injury or old age that brought this cat to his knees, it was the fact that he is a jerk! His arrogance, pride, and belief that he was above the rules is what led to the decline of one of the greatest talents to ever play the game. Finally, Tiger Woods has sent a message that is worth hearing. It doesn’t matter how talented you are, the way you carry yourself and how you treat people off the course is way more important than the scores that you shoot on the course. So, while I don’t believe it is right to find satisfaction in others sorrow, I am quite satisfied that the world of golf has a new number one. I could not be happier to see the Tiger mania beginning to decline. Oh sure, he’s still the most popular player and he will be for a while yet, but the loss of the top spot is a big step in fall of Tiger Woods.

I predict that he will hang around and be competitive for a several more years. We’ll still have to watch highlight after highlight of Woods even when he’s not in contention, but slowly that will fade. The young guns that are catching everyone’s eye will begin to take some of that spotlight. Tiger will never break Jack’s record and people will start to lose interest. He won’t be number one again and he may not even be in the top five by this time next year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has another scandal or two left in him for the next 10 years. He’ll continue to lose everyone’s respect and in 20 years he will virtually disappear. He won’t be honored and revered as Jack and Arnie are, but he will instead leave in a cloud of disgrace. Sad, I agree, but that’s what happens to guys who just don’t get it.

You heard it here first, the era of Tiger is over and I, for one, could not be more thrilled. I only hope that the new guys at the top will continue to restore some respect and class to the gentlemen’s game of golf as they have already begun to do. So, as we say goodbye to Tiger Woods, let us learn from his mistakes. Respect the game and those who love it, but remember, it is only a game. Life and the people that love you are way more important than any game. Maybe someday, Tiger will put aside his arrogance and learn that lesson. For his kids’ sake, I hope he does and I hope it’s soon.

* Matt's views and opinions are his own do not necessarily reflect those of oobgolf.

[ comments ]
Jattruia says:
I was never a big tiger fan, but honestly, it's articles like this that make me want him to come back in 2011 and just roll, taking no. 1 back with a vengeance.

coojofresh says:
i agree The Mustache Ride & i am a Tiger fan though, & i hate when people get too involved in other people's life. that is how you get TMZ. if your kids are doing what Tiger is doing then you need to help your kids out. i am a FAN of his gameplay, not trying to be his bff. every person has their demons, his are just going to be 100x more than yours because he is 100x better at you in golf. just my opinion.

Jattruia says:
@coojo: Thanks, I agree 100%. Just get off his jock. All this Tiger bashing is just as bad as all the media fanboys, just the other side of the spectrum.
11/15/10

" The number of people who play golf has steadily declined over the last 10 years. Golf courses all over the country are still being turned into housing developments because they can’t turn a profit."

Some of Snyper's criticism's are on the mark. Certainly Tiger's on course outbursts are not setting a good example. Laying blame on Tiger for the economic woes of golf courses and reduced interest in golf in general is misplaced.

Matt Otskey says:
I have always loved to watch Tiger play because of what he can do on the golf course. I believe it is that arrogance that allows him to be great. He believes (or believed) that he is the best, and nobody deserves to even be in the same sentence as him.

THAT is what made him the best golfer of this generation and possibly ever. However, as you said in the article, unsurprisingly it was also his downfall.

If William Shakespeare was still alive, he'd write a play based on Tiger's life.

Kickntrue says:
I'm with you guys. I want Tiger to just DESTROY people again in 2011 and beyond. Sadly, I am starting to lose a little hope.
11/15/10

You are acting like it is just too late for Tiger. His career is ruined, he can never come back from this. I beleive people can change and if anything i would hope the past year's events would lead to a change for Tiger. Who is to say he wont become the model golfer, father and get 20+ majors? Tiger is too good to write off. Sorry but this day is years away. Tiger will be more revered than Jack and Arnie when all is said and done, you heard it here first.

BAKE_DAWG40 says:
I was disappointed with Tiger, but damn do I love to watch him play. I agree with Matt. That is what made him so much better than the rest of the field. He's having a rough time right now and I want to see him make a comeback. Records are made to be broken and if anyone in my life time is going to beat Jack's record, it'll be Tiger.

props123 says:
I am starting to lose hope as well. However, I know because I have been through an ugly divorce that once he gets his head on straight, I believe he will come back with a vengence. Usually people throw themselves back into their talent areas after divorce. So maybe not 2011, but soon after he will be back on top.

Secondly, I don't abide by yelling, club breaking, etc.. However, off the course, if I was a 36 year old Billionaire, I would be living a pretty crazy life. And he started this when he was a lot younger! To have that much money and fame would lead many men down his path. He should never have been married. But like Clinton, Kennedy, and many others, having affairs does happen.

I hope he learns grace, dignity and sportsmanship on the course from this. Then he would be the complete package. As for partying off the course? Let him spend the spoils of his rewards. I would, and you would too!

Props123

rmumph1 says:
Tiger is like alot great athletes, arrogant or confident, it depends on how you view it. Take Kobe Bryant for example. I can't stand him because of his cheating, complaining to refs, and smirking. Alot of people love him. Same goes for Michael Jordan, I love the guy but he was a cheating, gambling, arrogant a$$ off the court. It's all in how you perceive the person.

briger says:
i do agree that he has done a lot for the game but i don't think you can say that he damaged it just as much. i think the reason for all these golf courses closing down is because the owners are charging more than double or triple what the green fees were before tiger. of course there is inflation to take into consideration, but paying 80 dollars to play your local muni course is ridiculous. then when an offer from a housing development comes along, they sell out and dump their course.

Kurt the Knife says:
Never say never, look up the word compassion and try to comprehend what it means, and if you're going to use idiomatic phrasing, learn how to spell.
Otherwise rants like this just make the writer appear small, petty and ignorant.

I'm just sayin'

KVSmith59 says:
IMHO, nothing more enjoyable golf wise, then watching Tiger make a run on a Sunday afternoon, whether actually winning the tourney or coming close. It brings excitement to the game to see someone you know has the ability to shave a 5 stroke deficit on the back nine. Nothing more boring than to see a player I'm not familiar with win a tournament by 6 strokes. I do agree that he's a jerk though. My wish for 2011 is that someone with close to the skill of Tiger will come along and follow in his footsteps (as long as he leaves the arrogance at home)
11/15/10

I'm with Snyper as i've never been a tiger fan. I HAVE recognized his talent though. I'm still not a fan, and most likely never will be. As for the article, i don't know if i agree with it totally, but i do think that his previous behavior on the course as well as off has sent the wrong message to younger golfers. Before tiger you didn't hear a lot of swearing, not even from guys like Woody Austin or John Daly. Tiger upped the bar on that. What a mouth.

Art Ciolkowski says:
The word is root not route

askarzy says:
Disagree with this article, hop off of the Tiger bashing band wagon. What Tiger did to his wife and kids was horrible. But let's be honest, when Tiger's name is on the front page of the leaderboard the tournament becomes more exciting.

Sparker1969 says:
I'm routing (sic) for the day oobgolf isn't publishing insipid nonsense like this opinion piece.

cpercy says:
arrogant - Tiger?
having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc.; conceited; overbearingly proud
confidence - Not Tiger?
1. Trust or faith in a person or thing.
2. A trusting relationship.
4. A feeling of assurance, especially of self-assurance.
you decide

askarzy says:
you missed 3

cpercy says:
askarzy, 3. didn't apply to this situation.

homermania says:
The * is finally earned! I think you're right that Tiger is an ass off the course, but you are wrong about him not coming back. This next Tiger streak is going to be epic.

Panerai111 says:
Haters gonna hate...

sepfeiff says:
Love him or hate him? To be honest I just like what he does for the game. He draws fans, adds some liveliness to the game etc. I'm not a big fan myself but I can almost promise that if Tiger comes back to golf he will absolutely destroy the competition once again. I love to see people counting him out, I'll take all bets on that.

wanlotfi says:
No gentlemen you are.
This type of article is not fit for the game. If you want Tiger to be nice,I think you should set an example also.
I feel sick coming to oobgolf reading bickering article like yours. I am here to play golf not to back stab people.

LongTimeAway says:
From the Snow Leopard dictionary: THE RIGHT WORD
Admire suggests a feeling of delight and enthusiastic appreciation (: admire the courage of the mountain climber), while adore implies the tenderness and warmth of unquestioning love (: he adored babies).
Idolize is an extreme form of adoration, suggesting a slavish, helpless love, (: he idolized the older quarterback).
We revere individuals and institutions that command our respect for their accomplishments or attributes (: he revered his old English professor).

I admired TW for his golfing accomplishments, but I have never revered an athlete for what he did on the field. And that includes Tiger.

SweetJazz says:
Just another sour grapes rant. Pretty pathetic at that........ Go Tiger in 2011!!!

Joness says:
He Showed some form in the Australian Masters at the weekend. He just couldn't sink a putt. Had plenty of chances in the first three days but kept missing 6 footers he used to sink regularly. However, on the last day he finished with 2 birdies and 2 eagles in the last 6 holes to finish 4th. He just needs to take runs liek this and stretch them to a whole round like he used to and we will see him back to his best. I am a fan. I think he is good for golf. He has generated unbelievable interest in the game in Melbourne over the last two years just by playing in our Masters. Not sure if Matt could ever generate the same level of interest.

Kickntrue says:
@art/@sparkler - that is an editor mistake. i should have caught that. it's edited now. thanks for pointing this out.

Grube says:
People like this guy are funny. They prove themselves why Tiger is so important to the game of golf....Reason being - like him, love him or hate him, he makes people care even more about this game, especially when he's in a tournament, and even more when he's in the hunt on Sunday. And I know this has been said but learn how to spell.

Doriega says:
This guy owes me 5 minutes of my life back. Waste of time and internet space. Tiger is a great golfer and will return to form. Is he a perfect human being with no flaws? Definitely not...but of course the person who wrote this article is the most perfect upstanding individual who has never gotten upset, has never cheated in his life, and does only good deeds for everyone he encounters....shut the!

H Head says:
@ SNYPER

You have stated everything SPOT ON, that my golfing buds and I have been saying since he was winning the US Ams in the 90's. WELL SAID.

I see the haters of the realists are out in force...but as I can read...you are old school....and old school shows nothing but respect for this great game. TRUE we ALL have our flaws...but that isn't the issue here. Unlike the average Joe,this was/is a guy looked up to by MILLIONS of kids/adults/aspiring golfers worldwide....and he chose to set a horrible example of how the game should/(had been played for centuries) be played, from very early in his career. His self destruction was only a matter of time ... the phony that he was/is, was exposed. That will be his legacy no matter what he does from this point on.

I have always said...I always loved and respected his talent, and believe he is one of the top golfers of all time....but at the same time, despised his attitude/arrogance on the course...whether he won or lost. NUFF SAID

AGAIN: Great post Snyper

Kurt the Knife says:
Nuff was said months ago.
Put it to rest already.
11/16/10

so you are saying if Tiger, what am i saying, WHEN Tiger beats jack record he will be remembered for swearing on the course? i think it has to do with race for some of the Tiger haters. I know my father in law doesnt like him becasue he is black. I honestly could care less about what Tiger says or does on the course throw clubs cuss doesnt bother me, i raise my kids and would tell them to not do that. I am not Tigers daddy nor are any of you haters. No one cries when football players or basketball or baseball players get in fights or cuss or have poor morals as much as TW is scrutinized. I am sick of it and just want TW too come back and go on a tear.

H Head says:
@Banker
Here is where I believe where you do not understand our POV. I AM NOT A HATER. Tiger fans bandy that word around way too much. I am and always will be a fan of his game, as the OP originally stated also.

Let me give you an example: I am a Life Skills Coach for The First Tee. I work with very low income inner city kids, 95% black. Approx: 85% of these kids are being raised by just one parent, or a Grandmother, or a 'home'. I have seen firsthand "Tiger's influence" has on many of the kids coming out to learn life skills through golf. Club throwing, cursing, etc...when we ask them "why are you doing what you are doing".....their answer is "TIGER DOES IT...IT'S OK !!!!!!" I takes months to turn these kids around, by teaching them the 3 R's. Respect for yourself, Respect for others, and Respect for your surroundings. We cringe when we get the "Tiger" response, because they are just doing what they have been seeing since they were born. That my friends are "real life" issues. Sad but True.

wrhall02 says:
The PGA is getting a dose of MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL...where prima donas are the norm and bad behavior is accepted or even expected. Millionaires being paid by billionaires to entertain us. Tiger is an easy mark; I don't think it is fair to pin it ALL on Mr. Woods. We all share a little of the blame for the "new golf culture."

Jell0b0y says:
Tiger lost one of the major things that he built up over the years (fear). Other golfers feared him when he was in contention now he will have to start over from scratch. Players just don't see him as that unbeatable player now and it will take a few wins for him to get that back. He also has the hecklers now that follow him around always reminding him off his past. Can he break Jacks record sure but its harder from here on out i believe.

sjduffers says:
That's an article that oob didn't need, IMHO.

Besides, even after fixing the first occurrence, there are still instances of "route" instead of "root", which reflects poorly both on the writer and on oob's staff... Finally, the article is featured prominently in the space normally occupied by the Wedge Guy (relegated down-column today), even though the Wedge Guy's writing is infinitely more insightful and useful. Not a good day, at oobgolf, I say.

jbird2011 says:
This is by far the worst article EVER posted on this site. Seriously? Do feel better now that you have had your anti-Tiger rant? And who are these young guns who have made golf exciting, bc this year was the most boring to watch!

georgelohr says:
I'd bet that any professional golfer would pick Tiger dead last as an opponent if given the chance. These guys play for money (Tiger has all the money he'll EVER need) and Tiger is the one guy that would always having you looking at the scoreboard to make sure he isn't catching up. This is a golfer that has been extremely dominant from the beginning of his career until 12 months ago. He has an ego the size of the Atlantic Ocean, most fans still like him and he is rich beyond imagination. I can't imagine he's playing for any reason other than his golf legacy. I find it hard to believe he will just wither away from the game.

Beekeeper45 says:
Would have to agree with @wrhall02, if the governing body cant control the players on the course, clubs and bad behavior will continue. What a Player does off the course, is his own problem to deal with.
11/17/10

Beekeeper45 says:
**clubs being thrown***
11/17/10

myersdr1 says:
this article sounds like my 6 year old son, sore loser when he didn't win cause someone else is better. but when that better person finally loses oh everyone is there to stick it in his face. bunch of sore losers
11/17/10

Backquak says:
So if we could agree that the club throwing and the cursing on the course are really the only reasons we have for not liking Tiger's game and his arrogance off the course for the reason we don't like him personally. Then we could agree that a USGA rule that penalizes cursing and club throwing (say 2 strokes for intentionally throwing a club or a tantrum) could actually help bring the respect for the game, we think it deserves. It won't help the off course behavior, or the personality that we don't like, but I don't think we should force people to change their personalities, just love 'em the way they are, or don't
11/17/10

WillK says:
The author's opinion of Tiger Woods was set when Tiger was an amateur. His opinion remains set regardless of what Tiger has done or ever will do. This would suggest the author is a relatively close-minded individual firmly convinced of the righteousness of his own opinions. As to restoring 'some respect and class to the gentlemen’s game of golf', what respect and class is the author referring to? An era when a golfer like Tiger Woods was not allowed to play the game at the professional level - regardless of his ability? An era when Tommy Bolt was more profane on the golf course than Tiger has ever been? To single Tiger out for behavior shared by many golfers, at the professional and amateur levels is disingenuous at best, racist at worse. The only fact about Tiger Woods that should matter to anyone who plays and enjoys the game of golf is that he is the greatest golfer of his time, and one of the top five golfers of all time, if not the best ever.
11/26/10

H Head says:
@WillK

Go read my previous 2 posts, and give me your take, since you seem to be into reading the OP's mind.

My opinion of Tiger was not "set" when he was an amateur...it was watched with respect for the immense talent, and then disdain for his demeanor, which grew worse through the years. As I also said....Tiger is looked up to by tens of millions of golfers at every level in this age of instant news. (I saw Tommy Bolt live, and he was also a disgusting club throwing foul mouth retch on the course also...no worse, no better).

And, of course the race card "at worst" is thrown at the OP. Grasp Grasp
11/27/10

potomac1962 says:
The higher a narcissistic person climbs the more he show his ass....And tigers ass is wide open....
11/27/10

WillK says:
@ H Head
I was responding to the commentary by Synper, not your posts. The author stated 'Ever since I watched him play as a teenager, I never cared much for Mr. Tiger Woods.' - hence my conclusion his opinion of Tiger was set when Tiger was an amateur. Similarly, the author's comment that ' For me, that is the legacy of Tiger Woods. It always has been and it always will be.' - hence my conclusion that his opinion remains set regardless of what Tiger does. Even the title of the article suggest some pleasure in Tiger’s difficulties.

And you cannot possibly suggest that racism does not play a role in some people’s opinion of Tiger.

It is admirable that you volunteer with First Tee. And though I can understand your reaction to the kids blaming their actions on Tiger, I don’t see it that way. I think people are responsible for what they do, not what others do in their name. Tiger as a person is not my concern. I appreciate the golfer, not the person. It is not my place to judge him.
11/27/10

H Head says:
@WillK

Are you serious???????? An 8 year old should be responsible for his actions????? When he lives in poverty with his grandmother.??????? You need a course in life 101.

It's ok when you and the world judge him to be the greatest talent and role model ..... but it's not ok to judge him when he is warping kids minds???? Can't have it both ways pal.

And please stop with the racism issue...of course it does with some people...just like me being a Catholic got me beat up in an all Jewish school when I was young...WTF does that have to do with the price of bread????????
11/28/10

WillK says:
@H Head
Never have I said that I judge Tiger to be the 'greatest role model'. I could not care less about him being a role model. I said I think he is the greatest golfer ever, and I appreciate the opportunity to have watch him play the game like no other has. That is the extent of my interest in Tiger. At no point in this exchange, which will end on my part with this post since I am sure we are boring anyone wasting their time reading them, have I insulted you, yet you feel free to suggest I need a 'course in life 101' when you know nothing about me. And correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t your religion deem persons to be of the age of reason and morally responsible for themselves at the age of 7? If you disagree with your church, at what age are they responsible? And I’ll stop with the race issue when people stop telling me they cannot stand watching Tiger play golf because he is black.
11/28/10

H Head says:
WILL
Yes you are wrong...because I converted from Catholicism long ago, for personal reasons. Never heard about the 7 year rule you bring up so I cannot comment on it. BUT....if you believe 7 is old enough to be responsible, then I truly pity you. Enjoy your hero worship, and race card.
PEACE & OUT
11/28/10

daytripper says:
TIGER will surpass 18 MAJOR career wins. Only he can! That's why We watch. His Record speaks for itself! Can you comprehend Tiger's ~12 year dominance when other pros good year may be 3 regular tour wins??? PU-LEEZE.

BREAK 18, GO TIGER!
2/2/11

Snyper says:
Hmmmm....here we are in 2011 and Tiger totally sucks and is "hurt" again. I think it's safe to say that he is looking like he's pretty far from winning 100 majors like some of you have suggested. Has anyone changed their tune and started to think that the guy that wrote this may have been spot on with his prediction?? I know, some of you will cling to Tiger until he is using a walker, but hopefully the rest of you have wised up to the fact that this guy is DONE!....thankfully!
6/27/11

C-4 says:
Haters..golf a gentlemans sport..when was that..i guess some gentlemen were not allowed to play at some courses..is Tiger any worse than a old pompus and racist a$$?? The best golfer to ever play the game.
10/2/12

GolfSmith7 says:
Funny Reading this now that Tiger seems to be back!
3/15/13