Golf Won't Quit On You
By SilkySmoothFlatStick on 9/15/10
We asked for readers to send in blog posts- and Brad Clardy didn't disappoint. He used to write a now extinct golf blog- and was kind enough to share this story from last year of his effort to quit golf. Fortunately, it didn't work. I'd like to shake the hand of the hero who ... well, I don't want to ruin it. Just read.

I used to write a golf blog (BradsWonderfulWorldofGolf ) but at the end of last year and the end of a marriage, I let it all go and just poured my self into the pure joy of playing the game. Finally after 6 years of working hard at golf, I finally broke into the 70's "playing" golf. I have shot in the 70's 4 times so far in 2010 and have dropped my handicap from a 25 in the last 6 years to a consistent 12. (Thanks to oobgolf and my skycaddie SG5)

I practice 4-6 hours a week and play at least one round per week. I do credit some of my recent success in 2010 to my new found excercise regime of walking a 18 hole course. It really does improve your game. Over the last few years, I could have come up with a million reasons to quit this game, but I didn't which brings me to an peice I wrote last year. It's short, true and on point.
I quit for one whole week last year. I was shooting in the low 80’s looking to bust into the 70’s last spring, when all of a sudden on one of those days when you feel like you can win every lottery in town, I played a round in the triple digits. It came out of nowhere. It slammed me like a sack of potatos on the curb. I could not believe it! My buddies kept asking me if my marrige was on the rocks. From slices, to shanks, to putts off the green. It all happened at once like some terrible nightmare, except I was fully awake and powerless to stop it. I never blew up or out. I calmly left the course, went home and drank 2-3 scotches trying to put my finger on the worst round in my life.

The next thing I did was put up a web page ad listing every golf club I owned. I listed every club, in single lined description, with the value of each to the side. At the bottom of the page I let my words flood a full paragraph as I finally dumped my anger and emotions on to my keyboard and explained to the whole world why I was giving up the game of golf. At the bottom of the $2500 price tag, I put this note.”50% off to the first guy that helps me quit.”

Three days later, I get this call from a local, where I ran the ad and he says he’s interested. He shows up at my door with a van full of clubs and starts telling me he wants to do some trades. I was a little upset and told him that he didn’t even read my ad. I said, “I’m trying to quit mister!”, and he said, “And I’m trying to keep you in the game.” I shook his hand laughing as he left.
After four days of stewing, I deleted the ad and went back to the same course and shot an 80. If you quit on life you die, If you quit on golf, you’re just a loser.

This was written by Brad Clardy, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

[ comments ]
rmumph1 says:
Never quit on golf. Just take a break if you are frustrated. This game is very mental. Only the strong willed survive.
9/15/10

Well put. I thought about giving up over college when a series of unfortunate events and misunderstandings led me to hate the golf coach (ends up the guy lied to me), but anyway, i feel like i missed out on a very important part of my golfing life. I wonder how things might have gone if i actually played in college. Those 4 years, while great, still felt empty because i wasnt' playing. I'll never quit the game, not in a million years.
9/15/10

**edit - when i said he lied, he lied about being the coach. No disrespect to the MU golf coach or team. :) ahh the perils of typing posts while working.
9/15/10

I started playing around 14 years old played a couple rounds a year up until about 17 years old then stopped until i was 23 and picked it up again. I wish i would have played high school golf and kept playing. I will never quit. i hate winter, and i wish i was playing right now. I am even thinking about quitting my job and getting one at a golf course for cheaper rates and more golf. But 2 kids and wife in college wont let me do that.
9/15/10

lcgolfer64 says:
Oh my... I read the first three paragraphs and thought, 'someone had gotten ahold of my life-story the last few years' ...seriously.

Great Article Brad thanks for sharing it. Been there and actually tried to convince myself i was done with the game too, so glad it only last a few weeks.
(I feel like I 'know' you - though I know we've never met and really don't know each other)
9/15/10

Kurt the Knife says:
*Heath Ledger mode ON*

"I WISH I KNEW HOWTA QUIT CHOO!"

*Heath Ledger mode OFF*
9/15/10

stedar says:
Can definitely relate to this story. I gave the game away for 6 years (marriage does that to you). Funny thing was, after the first few weeks, it seemed easier not to think about it. Then the weeks turned to months, then to years...
...Then, a friend invited me to play with him. That was it. I was addicted and can't get past a day without thinking about playing.
This site is great, it fuels the addiction; and helps when the weather is just too lousy to get a round in (even though it takes more than wind and rain to stop me :-)
9/15/10

donedonedone says:
Ugh, today was just like that... shanks on all of my gap wedge shots... Iron shots hooking left... seems like I'm crazy to keep going back to something that causes so much joy and pain. Seems like playing two times a week and going to the range at least twice a week would make me more consistant, but not so far...

What keeps me going is that old saying; golf is just like life. I equate this to me becomming a better person. If I give up on golf I am basically giving up on me being a better person.
9/15/10

falcon50driver says:
Being a better person is way overrated.
9/15/10

KVSmith59 says:
yep....somedays (like today) I think it would be easier to quit the wife than it would be to quit golf...
9/16/10

snuffyword says:
Thanks for posting this "timely" article. I recently had similar thoughts but I hate quitting at anything. That's why I still drink and smoke.
9/17/10

Agustin says:
Funny game... just when you think you've got it the golf gods put you back in your place.... Humbling, indeed.

What drives me mad is my inconsistency.. I can shot a 80-81 one day and come back the next day a hit a 93. Or... even worse... I can hit a 36 on the front nine only to hit a 47 in the back 9 and end up with the worst 83 of my life... Frustrating. I've lost count of how many times I swore to my self while on the course that I was quitting... only to be back a couple of days later at the range hitting 200+ balls
9/17/10

SilkySmoothFlatStick says:
I was watching a guy chip and pitch about 50 balls the other day. He went thru the whole pile making the same mistakes over and over. You could see and feel his frustration. He was about to leave and I walked over and asked him a 3 questions. What percent is 10 out of 50? (20%)
What percent is 2 out of 3? (67%)
Why are you upset? (I only made about 10 good chips out of that whole bucket)

I then threw down 3 balls and asked him to chip them to a pin about 15 yards away and try to get them inside a 3 foot circle that I marked for him. He put 2 out of 3 into or near the circle. I explained to him that he had just improved his chipping by 46%. He laughed and immediately caught on to what I was getting at. I just helped him turn a negative into a positive by narrowing his objective.
9/17/10

SilkySmoothFlatStick says:
I rarely ever carry more than 3 balls to a practice green. I chip 3 and putt 3 with an objective to one-putt each ball from inside 3 feet. If I can do it once I bogey. If I can do it twice, I par and three times in a row, I birdie. Try it sometime. It will narrow your focus and make your practice objectives more like the game you play on the course rather than a beat down session with a bucket of failure.
9/17/10

FatGuyGolf says:
I try like hell to keep golf in perspective... we love it, we hate it, sometimes we work at it, but in the end, the main point of golf to me isn't the number I shoot... it's 5 hours with friends, it's being out in nature (even if it's in a cart), it's friendly competition, it's meeting new people, it's the way the beer cart girl looks better than she would if you saw her on the street just because she's the only woman you've seen in the last 3 hours, it's swing oil, it's post round cocktails, it's building up a good hunger for a post round meal, it's not yard work, it doesn't take place in my office, it's a break from the wife and kids (as much as I love them), and most of all it's a game.
9/21/10

FatGuyGolf says:
I don't have time to "work" on my game, and I don't have the time or money to play half as often as I'd like, so knowing that, why stress about a few chunked chips and misjudged putts? I've never wanted to quit, but I can always tell when a round has me down more than it should, when my first thought coming off 18 is, "I need a lesson"... which never ends up happening.
9/21/10