Are You A Golf Snob?
By cjgiant on 10/5/10
We asked for readers to send in blog posts- and Craig Messinger didn't disappoint. Craig has written for us in the past and here is his take on golf snobbery. Chime in as moved! I'm sure Craig would love the feedback.

I have read a lot of posts on this site to know some of you are. I have to admit, I've sort of become one, for good or bad. Either way, I think there are four basic types of "golf snobs" (at least that seems a good number for a blog): the Pace of Play Snob, the Rules Snob, the Etiquette Snob, and the Golf Pro Snob.

"Pace of Play Snob"
This worst kind of this type of snob thinks everyone on the course should play every hole well and fast. It's almost as if the course should be cleared to let this person play his round. It wouldn't even matter that he's in a twosome and there are 3 foursomes in front. We have had numerous blogs on pace of play, so I know some of you also fit in this category with me.

"Rules Snob"
Yet another category for which we have had numerous blogs so I know we have at least a few of these out there. This is the golfer thinks he knows all the rules (and maybe he does), and will follow every last one of them. He looks down on those that bend the rules, even those he is paired up with that he doesn't know. If a rules snob is not shy about his strict adherence to the rules, he may even advise you of the rules without being asked.

"Etiquette Snob"
This category is a mild form of golf snob. This snob will be sure to play honors on every tee, and not hit a shot without being away. This type of snob is quite often also a Rules Snob. Putting this snob together with a Pace of Play Snob will probably not lead to an enjoyable round. This type of snob will shake his head at least and speak up at worst at players not replacing divots, repairing ball marks, or driving carts all over the course.

"Golf Pro Snob"
This type of snob also kind of falls into two categories: those that think they are great golfers, and those that think they can make you a great golfer. The first category will talk about the shots they are about to hit or have hit in the past, how far they hit their PWs, and try the more difficult shot even if it isn't necessary. The second type will critique your swing (often out loud) and potentially inform you of what you did wrong when you hit a bad shot. Note: you don't have to know what you are talking about to be a Golf Pro Snob.

For full disclosure: I am at least a moderate form of the Pace of Play Snob and a mild Rules Snob. I admit to thinking golfers who don't care or help maintain the course are lower forms of golfers, but do not feel a casual round requires full golf etiquette like an full-blown Etiquette Snob would. I occasionally wait to try to play a shot I probably can't make, and I may think of how to correct a beginner's swing, but I never vocalize it like a full blown Golf Pro Snob.

Do you think you fall into any of these categories? Are there more categories out there?

This was written by Craig Messinger, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

[ comments ]
I don't think i fall into any of these completely. I'm guilty of being an etiquette snob coupled with a pace of play snob just because i can't STAND when people drive the cart all over creation to places that actually make them play SLOWER than if they parked the cart and walked the 5 steps to the ball (note: while it still irks me, i don't get as upset when it's old guys that probably have few steps left in them)

The "golf pro snob" just pisses me off to no end.

Kickntrue says:
I'm definitely a pace of play snob. i've played with bad golfers who are slow. i've played with good golfers who are even slower. tv and golf magazines have something to do with this- and their whole teaching of "pre-shot routines" especially with the better golfers.

stedar says:
Great post Craig
Yikes, I seem to be a little of all.
More towards the rules and etiquette.
It does frustrate me to see those I'm playing with not penalize themselves as they should (kick a ball out from behind a tree or take a drop when it should be stoke and distance). I know, it shouldn't get to me, but when they say they hit an 80 and I hit an 85, when they had a good extra 10 shots... hmmm.
I guess you can add a 5th Snob: the "Real Score Snob" :-)
For me, golf is about the feeling (like a pro) - particularly when you get a birdie, or an eagle; it brings a smile to my face. Pitty it doesn't happen often enough :-) But it definitely brings me back for more...

cjgiant says:
Ugh - I edited this poorly (see "This [type of] snob..." 3 straight times in Etiquette).

@stedar - yeah, I definitely get annoyed if the player who shot "80" is also a Golf Pro Snob, but otherwise, I try to ignore it.

tcjonny says:
i can certainly say i'm somewhat of a rules snob, but, i honestly don't really care when i'm out playing with people that much, especially if I don't know them. What bothers me, is my brother-in-law coming and telling me he's just recently taken up golf, and that he now shoots in the 90s. Only to discover the first time i take him out that he only shoots in the 90s if he only counts his good shots, and totally disregards the 2 dozen balls he dumped in the woods that round...
I go out and shoot 79, after counting every single actual stroke i took, to only have him 'THINK' he shot a 92, when it really was somewhere in the vicinity of 130
10/5/10

Fun post. It was an enjoyable read. I am guilty of being a rules snob. I won't, however, talk about rules unless someone asks me. Some people honestly want to know how to proceed. A fair number, however, seem to want me to give them dispensation for tossing a ball out of the woods. I usually preface my comments to these golfers with, "it really doesn't matter to me how you proceed but the Rule is..." I also know I do not know all the Rules of Golf verbatim and often suggest we dig out the Rules book.

I agree with several oober's that "Real Score" snobbery infects me, too.

eventHorizon says:
Adding to the list: golf course snob. Only wants to play at perfect golf courses and will bitch the whole round if the course is in crappy condition.

That's defines me.

askarzy says:
I fit into the pace of play snob, I cant stand slow play. I am a rules snob when it comes to my own game. I don't really care what my playing partners do unless it's a tournament or for serious money =p.

elhacker says:
Does fix your fuC$&*@ ball marks when you hit the green make me an etiquette snob?

Shane1 says:
I'm definitely a pace of play and etiquette snob, only a rules snob if playing a match/tournament or playing with friends for money, and I refuse to give any pointers while on the course. The range is for practice, the golf course is for playing with whatever "game" you have that day. With that said, I completely loath the golf pro snob on the range...."Yes jackass, I know that I'm releasing a tad early/late on my shots...that's why I'm on THE RANGE! And by the way, if you're such a great player, than why do you always strike the mat before you make contact with the ball?"

Shane1 says:
BTW, does "pace of play snob" also account for the idiots who spend five minutes with their GPS trying to find the "perfect" yardage for their shot, only to hit it fat, advancing it 10 yards or so, and then repeating with the GPS?
10/5/10

Good topic. I am a rules snob and a pace of play snob, but I doubt you would know it by playing with me. I've given up hope in my fellow man on the golf course so I just silently suffer and curse you under my breath. I am very judgmental. If I see you improving a lie, giving yourself a putt or giving yourself a mulligan, then you and I cannot hang. I also judge people to some extent by their golf games too, but again, keep it all to myself. Wow this post has been cathartic. But pace of play is the only issue I get vocal about it. On our scorecard it says the lowest handicap person in the group's responsible for ensuring proper etiquette, and I take that seriously.

falcon50driver says:
The lie improvers don't bother me as much as the gimmie takers.

GolfSmith7 says:
Can't stand slow play bc I usually play alone and people should let a single player just pass but they'll stand in the tee box and look at me in a strange way. If I catch up to you on the next hole and you don't say something I will ask if you can let me play thru. :)

Kurt the Knife says:
I can't be a snob of any order because I am the subject of all manner of insult there presents.

tho' I hate when the starter sends a group of 8 out on the backside as I (walking single) make the turn.
grr

Kurt the Knife says:
oh oh oh I forgot...
I am a pitchmark bitch about the bloody, lowlife, inconsiderate, Al Qaeda, dog-kicking, harp-seal-clubbing, scumbags who refuse to repair green craters.

Ya better not be in my group n not level your crater, scumby... I'll let u have it.

OK, crater king... thats me.

Kurt the Knife says:
yo.
legitimatebeef , I hear ya. you have a... uhmm, legitimate beef. you go homey.
agree with ur rant. seen it, done it, made peace widdit.

mmontisano says:
I'm a bit of everything, but like legitimatebeef, I'll just curse you under my breathe rather than be vocal about it.

if there is one person on the course I can't stand, are the screaming club throwers.

jev says:
Oh oh... guilty as charged in three categories I'm afraid :D. I hate slowplay, being a rules official at my club I probably am a rules snob and etiquette just is part of that. I just hope I don't behave as a snob on the course in either of these categories (and the fourth one is just plain silly :D).

Hmm... now that I think about it... slowplay is just bad etiquette. And etiquette is part of the rules. Providing advice is against the rules too. So what it boils down to is all these categories basically are just one. ;)

tennesseeboy says:
Great article. I'm most definitely not a pace of play snob. I try to be considerate of the group behind me. If you are in front of me, take your time, I like being outdoors and I'm in no hurry.

I could definitely be considered a rules snob but I don't think I am. If you say "I shot 59 but I took a few liberties with the rules", I say good for you. If you leave out the part about taking liberties, then I have a problem with your 59.

lcgolfer64 says:
Good article Craig.
A lot of folks I agree with here - badcaddy, merlin, elhacker- ballmarks man - c'mon it takes 10 seconds, seriously!!

I tend to be a little bit of all of them - minus the golf pro snob, my game blows up on whenever the golf gods feel it pleases them, so I'm the last person to give advice.

Although I will offer up course management information if I'm asked, about my home course if I'm playing with folks that haven't played it before. I've walked it about 40 times already this year, so I think I know it pretty well now (especially to the right and left of every fairway...)

bducharm says:
You forgot "golf ball snob" - sorry, I will ONLY play ProV1x's...

homermania says:
I've always used the term "golf snob" for those who refuse to play a public course.

TravisMiller says:
Great blog, I have to say that I fit into all of these a little except the pace of play. If I am out playing golf you have to be stupidly, horrendously slow to get me irritated about pace of play. As for dealing with one of my regular golf buddies, we have a friend we will call "John" who is the most ill tempered childish golfer we know. So when we are on the course and one of us starts acting stupid the other just replies "ok JOHN" and that normally straightens us out.

wrhall02 says:
Yeah...I admit to being an etiquette snob. I get peeved at folks that don't repair divots, ball marks, rake bunkers, use the golf cart as a 4 X 4...it really bothers me seeing the course get chewed up needlessly.

How about; "golf brand snob." The player that is dressed in the very "best" golf attire, brand new shoes, only uses the latest most expensive golf clubs, etc. I love playing these guys...I know they will also have a vanity handicap...easy money.
10/6/10

i am somewhat a pace of play snob, depends on my day, if i got all the time in the world course is crowded when i started, i get it. but just to be slow and not let me play through i get irritated. etiqutee snob somewhat. I dont tell others what to do but i will always wait when i am away and will take honors on the tee but wont make a deal about it if someone beats me too it. i rarely replace divots but always fix ball marks(usually more than one). I hate when people just hit and hit and hit and dont bother that i am away hitting my second and you are hitting your fourth that just dribbled past my tee shot. Rule snob only with my self. I hate when people say i shot an 85 when they take muligans re do putts and dont count penalty strokes and i shot an 86 and they act like they really beat me... seriously are you kidding. my father in law is the face of "real-fake" score snob.
10/6/10

oh ya, i hate cry babies. espcially early on in the round they make a bad score and act like the round is over... golf is great where you can hit a 7 and and 8 and then shot mostly pars the rest of the round and bam decent day. I dont get why people who suck sooooo bad keep playing if they just get mad that they suck?
10/6/10

golf pro snob, nope. I dont give advice unless someone asks. There is a guy who works at Dicks sporting and he acts like he is a swing coach and why you need s-flex, your swing path all wrong blah blah. just shut up and point me in the direction of golf socks you jerk off.

cjgiant says:
I like the golf course snob: either one that will only play nice courses, or one who expects every course to be perfect. I might be of the second variety, at least to the point of complaining when I find the imperfections.

I am a moderate golf ball snob, tossing aside those Top-Flites and Stratas or not-so new nicer balls I find. The Real Score Snob I considered a subclass of Rules snob, but it probably deserves it's own classification.

cjgiant says:
For those of you (us?) Pace of Play Snobs who mentioned playing through... I have had this happen to me: as a twosome, go to a course that isn't too busy. We get paired up with another twosome (b/c apparently the starter feels four is a better number). Then during play, we look back, and there are groups of twosomes or singles behind us.

It's not necessarily our fault we got paired up, should we let all twosome through and increase our round from 4:15 to 5:00 or so?

Sparker1969 says:
Not a golf pro snob by any stretch. I don't want to look at my own swing much less another golfers. Shall I brag about my 200 yard average drive or my 50/50 shot (at best) of finding the fairway?

Rules snob? No doubt. Since I haven't played a competitive round since 1987, it doesn't really come up though. I may not speak up on the course, but I'm firmly in the PJ Boatwright/ Tom Watson wing of Rules adherence. Dustin Johnson is lucky he even got a check at the PGA.

Etiquette snob? If a playing partner fails to fix a ball mark or rake a bunker or steps in my line or decides to play Journey on his boom box at full blast there WILL be words. I'm also the etiquette slob's nastier brother, the dress code snob. I'm not big on the honor system off the tee due to...

Sparker1969 says:
Pace of Play snob? Snob doesn't go far enough, fanatic isn't even there, crazed zealot may not even be enough. I pray for 50 degrees and clouds.

I'd also qualify as a walking snob.

My course snobbery is confined to refusing to play on Bermuda grass. Other than high school matches, every round I have ever played has been on a public course and under a $30 price.

shift says:
guilty as charged! (except for the golf pro snob) I wished everybody was a snob. then we'd play golf in less than 6 hours, shooting in the 90s doesn't mean shooting 110 w/ 5 mulligans, and courses would be in better condition.
10/7/10

Matt F says:
My FIL is a ball snob...it's been proven to him that he should be playing a lower compression ball but insists that he plays ProV1's. Apparently 90 compression doesn't feel like a rock unlike the 65 compression ball he should be hitting.
10/7/10

accarson3 says:
Not sure if I am a "snob" but I am concerned with pace of play...two things drive me nuts...a)cart path only...player leaves the cart with NO clubs, walks across the fairway to survey the lie, then goes back to get the right club and b)hitting more than one tee shot (except in the case of a provisional) - on the public courses I play...if you hit a crappy drive then just take a drop or play it from the red tees where it landed.
10/8/10

woobwoob says:
I'm only a shag ball snob, if it's a Top Flite or insert low end ball name here ball, it stays where I found it. If its a Pro V or other high end ball, it goes with me in the cart.
10/8/10

DougE says:
bducharm says:
You forgot "golf ball snob" - sorry, I will ONLY play ProV1x's...

There are plenty of them and it seems many are mid-high handicappers. Go figure.
10/9/10

8thehardway says:
What drives me crazy is a laconic category of Analyst Snob called the One-Word Commentator. On the green, he'll emphatically say "short" after a putt fails to make it to the hole. He'll also share his keen powers of observation off the tee and fairway with: "sliced" "fat" or "topped it."

I'm tempted to return the favor but what I really want to say is "Keep your mouth off of my ball."
5/15/11