Picked this pic, because... it's weird!
Witnessing The Incredible
By falcon50driver on 10/26/10
We asked for readers to send in blog posts- and Jess McPhillips didn't disappoint. These articles continue to keep coming in and I want to encourage you guys to keep writing! The feedback and new perspectives are fantastic. Jess has been using oob since the beginning- and has stuck with us through everything! Amazingly- he was the 32nd person to EVER stumble across oob and sign up! Truly deserving of being called our "#1 Fan!" His blog is short and sweet, but should generate a nice conversation.

One of the reasons for golf's popularity is the fact that while most of us will never be able to throw a footbal, baseball,or basketballl as well as our favorite pro, even the worst of us hackers can pull off an incredible shot that even Phil The Gambler would be proud of.

I started playing later in life so I don't have the experience a lot of you have, but in that short time I've witnessed some things that people accuse me of making up.

Probably the wierdest was, in a tournament, I was attempting a 30 foot putt. At the same time, unbeknownst to me, my playing partner was chipping up from several yards to my right. As my putted ball was rolling about two feet right of the hole, his chipped ball banked off mine and knocked it in the hole, then his hopped once and jumped in the hole too. We recorded them both as birdies, although the legality of that would probably start another thread.

I believe it would be interesting to hear the story of an incredible shot you've made , or one you've witnessed.

In our weekly dogfight:
My playing partner, on a par 5, hit his drive 263 yards, followed by a 3 wood 265 yards in the hole for a double eagle.

This was written by Jess McPhillips, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

[ comments ]
Well, in 50+ years of golf I have never seen anything as good as the colliding balls holing out. The best shot I have witnessed involved a ball sitting in a bunker that transitioned into a water hazard (truly on the beach, so to speak). The ball rested on the sandy botton half submerged. The player took a huge swing and splashed the ball almost vertically, which then descended on to the green, took two hops and stopped 2 feet from the hole.
10/26/10

Kickntrue says:
Not sure if I wrote about it on oob or not... but earlier this year- I was 220 yards out on a long par 4. Player in front of me already hit and had their ball pin high but off the green to the right. You're dead if you're long or left. I hit a pretty decent shot that was drawing from right to left and should've been center of the green. Instead- it hits the ball beside the green perfectly- shoots it onto the green- while mine goes DEEP into the woods beside the hole and lost. Went from a 15 foot birdie putt- to a lost ball. Nobody in the group had ever seen a collision of balls that far out before.
10/26/10

Kickntrue says:
Ah- to get away from amazing golf shots- but just amazing things seen on golf course. Another crazy thing I saw earlier this year- while on cart path with forest to my right. A frog jumps out of brush... hops about 2 or 3 times down cart path... I stop the cart. Following quickly out of the brush and onto cart path is a snake- chasing the frog. It chases the frog for about 15 feet on the concrete and as quickly as it started- it was over as the frog jump back into the woods and the snake followed. The snake was gaining ground- but can't say for sure who won- though I have my suspicions.
10/26/10

KVSmith59 says:
was walking a course with some friends. One of the guys placed his standup bag at the left end of the tee box in front of the tee. Another guy teed up and smashed a drive straight into the top of the standup bag. Ball disappeared into his bag. One of the stranger things I've seen.
10/26/10

Yea, wait, wasn't that MY ball? LOL. That was gonna be my story. LOL
10/26/10

OOps. that was to Kickntrue.
10/26/10

briger says:
i was having a flop contest with my cousin from about... 30 yards away. i went first and hit a pretty average chip to about 15 feet. then my cousin steps up and blades his ball. it went between this row of trees behind the green, over the protective fence, hit the top rail of the houses actual fence, back over the protective fence, back through the trees, then it fell in the rough and it had enough speed to roll onto the green and just inside my ball. i lose.
10/26/10

dartboss04 says:
There aren't many courses open year round in CT, but my friend and I took advantage of a few days of good weather playing at Goodwin Park in Hartford on New Year's Eve. At the time, the park also hosted a holiday lights show in the evenings. As if it was not surreal already hitting around 20 foot Christmas characters, my friend took advantage of the winter conditions. His tee shot on a short par three over a pond came up short. Luckily, it was frozen, and the ball bounced off the ice landing 1 foot from the cup. Good stuff.
10/26/10

jfurr says:
you've probably seen this but it was first for me. I was in the greenside bunker, with a tall face. Hit a good thump, ball came out really high and hit the flag, not the stick, but the flapping flag like a baseball glove- dropped down for a tap in :)
10/26/10

dsferris says:
I was playing a course where houses are nearby but not to close. My playing partner crushes a drive and full out pulls the ball into the woods lining the fairway. The ball flies about 75 yards to the woods, through 50 yards of woods untouched, another 50-60 yards on the other side of the woods, straight into a garage and through the back windshield of a Lexus. My buddy hits a provisional and as we are driving down the fairway this guy comes charging out of the woods screaming at us. Luckily for my buddy he missed the classic Corvette on the other side of the garage.
10/26/10

jalsing says:
My partner and I pull up to one of our balls, just a yard or two max forward but 20 or 30 yards to the right of the one of the others in the foursome. Certainly not in the way, right? Wrong, of course. Player Shaaanks one right towards our cart, enters the drivers side glove box area, rattles around in there and bounces out. In there of course was my phone and a sharpie marker for marking my ball. Both smashed to death lol. Luckily I had an eerie feeling and had stepped back behind the the player. I don't like to stand forward of anyone hitting...
10/27/10

falcon50driver says:
Wow, smashed a Lexus? Does your car insurance pay for that?
10/27/10

Kickntrue says:
@m2d- it's my understanding that the golfer's Home Owners insurance pays for that. So renters who play golf are screwed.
10/27/10

lcgolfer64 says:
I was playing with some buds this summer and we were on a par 5 and two of us had just hit up to the green. The third guys was still about 130 back or so. We're walking up the path to the green as he hit his approach and completely skulled it and hit a hard line shot about 20 feet off the ground, left of the green that hit a tree maybe 15 yard behind the green. Ths ball shot back hard at a 45 degree angle down and one-hopped back to the hole. It didn't go in, but was literally and inch away for his tap in.
10/27/10

homermania says:
I've played a bounce shot off a frozen lake just like dartboss described earlier.
10/27/10

one of my buddies who rarely golfs hit his tee shot while the group in front was just over a hill and blind to us, his ball landed in the guys golf bag. crazy. another was and im not sure about this... i sliced my ball right during a golf outing and apparently it landed on a open beer can. the lady swears she didnt move my ball.
10/27/10

jonbin28 says:
I have a video of one of my golfing society buddies with his trousers rolled-up and standing in a pool of water up to his calfs taking the swing and lifting the ball out of the water onto the fairway - this by the way was in Scotland and in early May and the same day that we had to hunker down and wait for the hail storm to pass - so just a wee bit brassic! how do I get to load and share this with you all?
10/29/10

jonbin28 says:
Another one, and we shouldn't laugh at others misfortunes but, my buddy teed-off with his driver at which time the drivers club-head flew off into the rough approximately 50 yards left and the ball landed 15 ft forward onto the Ladies Tee. That cost him a round in the clubhouse for not making it past the ladies tee and gave us all a really good belly laugh at the same time!!
10/29/10