A perfect time to start playing!
Night/Glow Golf!
By jbird899 on 10/28/10
We asked for readers to send in blog posts- and Jason James didn't disappoint. These articles continue to keep coming in and I want to encourage you guys to keep writing! The feedback and new perspectives are fantastic. I'm surprised in the 4 years of oob- I've never written about the joys of night golf. It really is fantastic.

In the past 3 years I have discovered a new love... GLOW GOLF! I'm lucky enough to have a local public course that runs 4-5 night tournaments during the summer and early fall. The format is a 4 man scramble, and they light up the course with glow sticks and tiki torches. You play with clear plastic balls with a glow stick inside. I was skeptical at first and thought it was going to be corny. Boy was I wrong! The ball definitely performs a little differently, but it’s not hard to get use to. Since the ball travels a little less than normal you tee off from the ladies tees. Night golf really is amazing. I’m a member at a course so I have the advantage of going out at night whenever I want. If you go out on a clear night during a full moon you can see extremely well, and the course is lit up better than you would think. I have a group of guys that I go out with and it is such a great experience. I encourage all golfers to try it at least once.

This was written by Jason James, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

[ comments ]
Kickntrue says:
Nice! Ironically- I just got invited (and accepted) an invite to a night golf tournament tonight. The timing was totally random with this article. Maybe it's a sign that my team will win!
10/28/10

i think Willow Valley does this, here in lancaster. I'm going to look into it and try. I have a glow ball that i got as a "goodie bag" gift a while ago. I keep it in the bag in case i'm having the greatest round of my life and can't finish. LOL.
10/28/10

homermania says:
Yeah, glow-in-the-dark golf is fun, but I recently discovered Pheasant Run, an executive course (par 57) west of St. Louis that has staduim lights and you can play until midnight. Real golf at night. Feels weird to call up and get a 9pm tee time...
10/28/10

Bryan K says:
They have a glow golf tourney at the local pitch and putt a few times a summer. Can't say the idea has ever intrigued me. The courses round these parts aren't lit up as well as one might expect, especially on the longer holes. I have terrible night vision, so I'm not so sure it would be a good idea. I'd probably hurt myself.
10/28/10

sounds like fun. ya i would think the ball would act really weird with a glowstick inside??? i always thought its just a glow in the dark cover on the golf ball. cool.
10/28/10

I would try it if any course offered it around here offered it. :( I wonder if you can see the ball in flight on a full shot.
10/28/10

cjgiant says:
Never tried glow ball even though my old course did it regularly. I think they cut the holes a little bigger also. I wonder if they scheduled it close to a full moon, also?

Ever played just plain old night golf? Real ball, no lights? It's interesting, if you are an experienced or natural golfer, how you can "feel" where the ball goes. I've only really done it with wedges, so the shot "search area" is relatively small, but it definitely causes a certain amount of focus. Last time I did it, 3 of us played 3 full holes (with wedges from red tees) and only lost one ball.
10/28/10

jbird2011 says:
I recently bought a sleeve of balls that light up upon impact. You can see the ball from the tee, in the air, and to where it lands. Definitely better than then glow stick balls.
10/28/10

Clint24 says:
We hosted a night tournament this past summer. It was a lot of fun, but it didn't turn out too good. The balls didnt glow as well as they were suppossed to and when we were at the very back of the property, about 800 or so yards from the lit driving range, you couldn't see a think. But other than that, it was a whole lot of fun. It takes a lot more strategy and is so much harder than a regular scramble.
10/28/10

Bryan K says:
cjgiant: ya...I've played "night golf", but only because I was playing too well to leave after the sun went down:) Closest I ever came to a hole in one was on the 9th hole of a nine hole round where the last two and a half holes were played in the pitch darkness. The only reason I found any of my balls was because I consistently walked right to where they were laying and almost stepped on them.
10/28/10

OffCoursegolfer says:
If anyone is interested, I found a new night golf ball that I can play off-the-golf course. We actually create glow golf courses around the neighborhood. My kids love it. It is a new almost Golf ball. They don't dent cars or break windows and really fly, but you can catch them. How cool is that. We just put glow sticks in them and play one club tournies through the neighborhood or local school yard at night. Check out www.offcoursegolfnetwork.com
10/29/10

Neo says:
We actually have two fully-lit golf courses here, they are lit up with the same type of lights you see at a softball field. You can play with your regular ball, and they keep the course open until about 10:30 at night or so. Played it last night actually.
10/29/10