Fanatics & Phantoms
By bkuehn1952 on 12/23/11
The man needs no introduction by now, but at oob we believe those who deserve to be recognized should be recognized. Therefore, it's is my greatest pleasure to share with you Brian "bkuehn1952" Kuehn's latest submission. And in case you missed any of his 29 previous posts, I've linked them out here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. Enjoy!

The anniversary of my second year with Oob is fast approaching. A former regular at another blog site, I slowly became bored by the lack of user participation. A posted comment on one of the site’s forums might go over a year without a reply or new posting. Fortunately for me, one day I stumbled on to OobGolf.

Oob’s combination of statistics and golf talk was the perfect fuel for my fanaticism. You see, I have kept statistics on my game dating back to 1987. Although the ink is starting to fade, I can still tell you where I played on 7/8/1987, how many putts I took and the number of GIR’s. Further, as all my bored family and friends will tell you, when given an opportunity, I will talk golf for hours.

Like many people, in order to place some order on an otherwise chaotic world, I started to categorize my fellow Oobers. As I peruse the daily entries, I will often think to myself, “oh, {insert} is a true Fanatic” or “I wonder whatever happened to {insert}. He seems to be a Lost Boy now.”

So here are my pigeon holes:
  • The Fanatics: I place myself in this category. If we can’t play golf, then we want to talk about it, read about it, wallow in it. We “fanatics” will comment on most posts and initiate a fair number of Forum discussions. My guess is that a number of Oobers find us rather tiresome and would like to figure out a way to get us to shut up. Sorry but it is not going to happen.

• The Mechanics: These Oobers are into the techno-mechanical aspects of the game and they love to share their esoteric knowledge of equipment and club making. Whether it is discussing swing weights or tour grinds, they understand and have an opinion on it all. They can usually be found hanging out with The Wedge Guy.

• The Avid Amateurs: Their game doesn’t match their enthusiasm but that never stops them. Frankly, I love to read their posts. Whatever the subject, be it the latest driver purchase, personal best, first eagle, etc… their love of the game shines through.

• The Phantoms: Despite occasional participation in discussions, the Phantoms never post scores, list their equipment or provide us any insight into their personal golf history. Many could also be considered Mechanics but the lack of data on their game always worries me. Should I take advice on putting from someone who never broke 100 and has a 2.5 putt average per GIR???

• The One Hit Wonders: These guys (and let’s face it, Oobers are overwhelmingly male) set up an account, make one or two comments and then disappear. Sometimes they load in their equipment and never record a score. Other times their profile is a blank slate. They are not spammers as they rarely appear to be selling anything. Apparently they stumbled on the site, decided to comment, and then promptly forget about Oob. “fartkowski” is an example. “Fart” joined 2/23/2011, made four comments, loaded in 17 past scores and has been absent since. Did we say something wrong???

• The Jokesters: Golf is humor in search of a punch line for our resident funnymen. We all know these guys and they are probably typing a snappy comeback at this moment. Has “merlin2driver” or “Kurt the Knife” ever made a serious comment?

• The Lost Boys These are the guys I am most curious about. They are consistent and regular commenters/posters who suddenly vanish from Oob. I am talking about people who make upwards of 200+ comments over the course of 1-2 years and then we never hear from them again. Typically their score posting stops at the same time. Why?? Did they die? Give up golf? Find another website? Or is the answer as simple as they got bored and moved on? A couple names that come to mind are: “Kidputter”, “Singledigits” and “Gpickin”. Hey, if you guys are still out there, give us an electronic jingle!
I mean no offense to the handful of Oobers I mentioned above. When the only contact one has is via the internet, the imagination can work overtime. Please accept my apologies in advance if I have electronically stepped on anyone’s toes. Or alternatively, as legitimatebeef might say, screw you!

So how about you guys? Have I missed any categories? Anyone want to admit to belonging to one of the groups? Let’s hear from you!

This was written by Brian Kuehn, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

by lydiashiningbrightly

[ comments ]
rmumph1 says:
I'm a Lost Boy. My new job, construction of a new home and a new born at home has taken away from my golf game. I used to view and comment on this site daily. Now I'm lucky if I can view it once every two weeks. The passion for golf is still in me, but I have prioritized other things in my life. Once everything settles down again I will be back. Until then, "screw you".

SteveMM says:
Great rundown of our Oob world. I guess I would fall into the Avid Amateur realm, with a touch of fanatic on the side. Sounds about right.

ericsmi says:
I'd have to call myself a mostly "Silent Reader" of OOB. I will occasionally make a comment if the urge is strong enough, but mostly post my scores and review comments on the daily articles.
12/23/11

I am a fanatic for sure. As i have said many times this season i have not golfed much at all and this is the only way i can stay connected to my golf game. I look back at previous scores, my equipment, my game. I love to post comments and read them alike.

@bkuehn: so were you feeling some pressure after your award yesterday to write something new? regardless of the motivation keep it up your articles are great!

DoubleDingo says:
Avid Amateur with a very small amount of Fanatic mixed in. Haven't posted scores in a while because I haven't played in a while. But I do have a scorecard from the 18th that I need to enter.

gpickin says:
Wow, I'm in the LOST BOYS zone... not sure if I should feel proud, or ashamed.

In July/August I hurt my wrist, so had to cut back some.
In Sept went to NZ for a month
October I worked my ass off, and then had a premature baby.
November I worked, looked after the baby, helped with the other kids, more work, etc all at the same time
Finally in Dec I have made a slight comeback, doing all the above and built a website for my local golf club.

gpickin says:
I have made it back, but still time is short, and when I have a minute to sit down, I usually find a cute lil baby sitting in my lap looking up at me.

I am playing for my club in team matchplay in the new year, and had a few practice rounds, learning the ins and outs of match play... but thrown in with the xmas parties, and more damn work, I haven't been able to post like I usually have or would have.

Still reading, but its winter in most places, and the forums are quieter than they were.

But alas, I am here, plotting and planning how to play more golf with less day light and more responsibilites, and how to make the World AM a FAMILY trip this summer.

JINGLE JINGLE
12/23/11

@gpickin: Good to hear you are still lurking around out there in CA. BTW, as of today the duration of daylight starts to increase (winter solstice was yesterday).

Dusty23 says:
When it comes to golf i live it, breath it. So i would consider myself a Fanatic by description, I have posted my scores, equipment changes, have printed out my stats. I really enjoy perusing the various subjects and generally have a comment, but i find my thoughts don't type out so well, though lately I am starting to put my 2 cents in more

sjduffers says:
I am a (mostly) silent participant. I post my scores, look at my stats, read the front page articles and the forums and often even chuckle at/with them. I post something (probably not very worthwhile) from time to time, usually as a reply, not a new post. I did win something this year on oob: a golf towel! Yeah me!! :-)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

jfurr says:
Interesting post. If I ever suddenly vanish from the site then I'm either dead or have quit golf. I hope neither happen too soon.

ebkruger says:
I would add a couple of other groups:
The Professionals - no, not golf players although we do have one now. These are the people who believe that Oob should strive to be a professional looking site where spelling and grammatical errors in headline articles can't be let go, nor can the opportunity to razz Mustang for such oversights.

The Player - A golf genius destined for the big time who is only let down by having an inate ability to score 13 on the last hole to shoot 1 over par, a unique lack of technical ability that prevents scores from being loaded, and suffers from Alzheimers with regards to rules when in with a chance to win a friendly game.

DougE says:
I'm with you Brian. Fanatic all the way. I post, respond to posts, enter all scores, keep stats, comment on most of my rounds, rate courses, keep my equipment list up to date, and usually review this site multiple times a day, often to the detriment of my work. First thing every morning I check my personal email, my business email and then Oob. A big treat for me is when I check my personal email and have some telling me that I have an Oober that commented or posted to a forum I'm following. I'm almost as addicted to this site as I am to the game itself. I'm already dreading how the forums quiet down over the winter. Keep up the dialog guys. Please, I need you!

Matt F says:
I'm with ericsmi and sjduffers. Silent participant for the most part. Post scores when I play, read Oob every day, comment occasionally. I can turn off my golf brain during the winter, but come spring it's all golf all the time.
12/24/11

snuffyword says:
I think I am a combo of fanatic, mechanic, avid amateur and silent participant (at times). I look forward to reading posts from the jokesters. Happy anniversary to bkuehn1952!
12/24/11

Nice article Bri and way to bring out some of the lurkers. There's a lot of ppl here who don't or rarely pipe up. I don't know why, this place is about as casual and douche free as you're gonna get on the net.
12/24/11

Werepuppie says:
I guess I am an Avid Amateur with a touch of fanatic.I post every score immediatly after returning from the course.Then,over the week in between rounds I check every course I have played to see what scores have been posted since my latest round.If someone around my handicap level posted a score I will occasionally comment on it.
12/24/11

mmontisano says:
Fanatic, through and through.
12/24/11

homermania says:
I like to consider myself a Fanatic Jokester. I will post a score as immediately as possible. Despite not playing very often this season, I tend to come here everyday thanks to a desk job. I've really enjoyed the community here. Haven't gotten into the Forums. I'm kind of scared I'll never make it out.
12/26/11

Beekeeper45 says:
Have to say Avid Amateur!!
12/26/11

dartboss04 says:
I think I'm probably a fanatic wannabe. Probably don't post enough in the forums to be a true fanatic, but visit the site daily, post all my scores, and keep my equipment up to date.
12/27/11

BAKE_DAWG40 says:
I'm a fanatic. Can't get enough golf and every year my rounds get fewer and fewer. *SIGH*
12/27/11

ilovebacon says:
Nice article Brian Kuehn. I'm an Avid Lost Phananickster who enjoys OOBing, shooting in the 70's and long walks in bunkers.
12/28/11

windowsurfer says:
Bump to legitimatebeef (a great nom-de-oob) who said oob " is about as casual and douche free as you're gonna get on the net." Ya. Could even be a little more prickly sometimes in a good natured way. No? There IS a lot of enthusiastic/reflex oobforum agreement - "I totally agree!" whereas, out on the course in your comfy foursomes, you bastids are probably bickering like Grade 8 girls - at least my foursomes r that way. I'm just sayin . . .
12/28/11

SpaceMaNy0 says:
I find that offensive!
12/29/11

windowsurfer says:
That's the spirit.
12/29/11

I totally agree!
12/29/11

windowsurfer says:
That's what she said.
12/29/11

bsta93 says:
I'm a hybrid avid amateur and jokester. I read the articles, but often don't post comments. I do like to track my stats, update course information, and research courses.
12/29/11

DoubleDingo says:
Up yours
12/30/11

DoubleDingo says:
Couldn't resist the "Up yours" comment. I am probably the one that complains the least, unless there is slow play, and then I get anxious and pissed off. Or if someone hits into us when we're in plain sight without yelling fore, that sets me off too. Other than that, very respectful and show proper etiquette to those around me.
12/30/11

falcon50driver says:
Bite me
1/2/12

golfray says:
It took you 9 days to come up with that snappy comeback?
1/2/12