Don't Count Those Birdies Before They Hatch!
By joe jones on 12/28/11
Look who's back already - joe jones! He submitted his second guest column less than a week after his first. Enjoy!

I guess I’m like everyone else that has ever played the game of golf. As we get older it becomes apparent that we must face up to a few hard facts about what the gods of golf hold in store for us.
  1. Our game is not going to get a heck of a lot better as we get older.

2. We were all about 30 yards longer off the tee about 25 years ago.

3. Most of us were better putters than we are now. It has something to do with young nerves.
Well, I hate to admit it but I went out to try to disprove these facts. A little while ago I purchased the new SXU Driver (Super Extended Steel) with the new checkerboard shaft. The ads on the infomercial guarantee that you will add at least 30 yards to your drives. I also bought the new Eliptical Design irons (low center balanced with the Styrocon shafts). They are supposed to give you a longer, higher ball flight that assures you of at least 15% straighter, longer shots. At least that’s what the ad says. I also spotted a putter on the rack that we have been told by that famous pro on TV will help us “one putt” almost every green. You know the putter; it’s the digital controlled, heel-and-toe weighted blade with the binary inserts for that ultra soft feel that we all are looking for. I figured “what the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound”, So I bought that sucker too. The salesman at the golf shop convinced me that I shouldn’t use those Molitor balls I had been using. He sold me three dozen RPF (Radial Flight Projectile) 100 compression balls that he assured me will fly 30 yards further than any ball I had ever used before. Oh! By the by, they cost almost as much as the first car I bought.

The next day I dressed perfectly with my logo hat, logo shirt, logo shorts, logo socks and logo glove and went to the course. I figured that the yardage I should gain with my new equipment to be about 80-90 yards per hole. Heck, that will get me right out there with Bubba and Tiger. With my new putter, I should make at least 5 birdies and throw in a few eagles along the way. The heck with trying to break par, I was out to break the course record. Well, as you have probably already guessed, something got lost in the translation. For some unknown reason, I had my normal 30 putts and shot a typical 87 and felt pretty lucky to do that.

Not withstanding all the hype about golf equipment, I guess we should remember the basic rule of golf. It’s not just the bows and arrows that count; it’s the Indian that uses them. I am not telling you not to by that new driver that you have your heart set on. Golfers are always looking for a magic wand. Try the following suggestions and maybe you will enjoy the game a little more:
  1. Relax - The odds are that you are not going to win the U.S. Open;

2. Find some good company to play golf with;

3. Share some good lies about the good old days and if you know a few good golf jokes, share them too; and

4. Last but not least, take your beat up old self to your local teaching pro for a 60,000 mile tune up. By all means, buy that new club, but also invest a small portion of what you spent with a great bunch of guys that may help you get more out of your game.
Oh, by the way, would anyone like to buy some “slightly used” golf equipment that has only been used on Sunday, after church?

This was written by Joseph Jones, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

photo by pasukaru76

[ comments ]
I am unfamiliar with "Super Extended Steel" drivers but if they are guaranteed to get me an extra 30 yards, I'm in! Thanks for the advice. ;)
12/28/11

Hey, are you trying to steal my "Guest Columnist of the Year" award?
12/28/11

SteveMM says:
Good column. People don't often come to me for equipment advice, but on the rare occasions that they do, I tell them not to bother upgrading their equipment unless it was really, really poor quality to begin with or it's more than ten years old. The club makers have made some advances in those ten years that might benefit duffers. This is why nearly all of my clubs were purchased used or on clearance. The money is much better spent on lessons.
12/28/11

BAKE_DAWG40 says:
Actually, I haven't had a lesson since 2002. I think coughing up the dough for a lesson may be what I need mostest.
12/28/11

@bkuehn: The scoring for the "Guest Columnist of the Year" award doesn't kick in until 01/01/2012 so you are good bkuehn. Nice article Jones. Lessons are part of my plan to get back on the course in the right shape next year.
12/28/11

sepfeiff says:
D:
12/28/11

falcon50driver says:
(.)(.)
12/28/11

SpaceMaNy0 says:
I find that offensive!
12/29/11

jrbizzle says:
I feel most amateur golfers would benefit from lessons, but only if their swing is at all repeatable. I would highly suggest spending a day a week at the local driving range (grass range - no mats) and making sure your set-up, grip and approach is consistent and repeatable. You can quickly find the steps towards building a fundamentally sound and proper neutral/common setup, grip, etc online. Take notes and start to find out what your faults are. Use alignment sticks so you know if you are starting the ball left/right or just fine. Find out what your typical miss is (high slice? low hook?)...

A lot of you might be amazed by how inconsistent you are from shot to shot, and how much you can fix on your own. Then once you get halfway there, go see the pro to help really fine tune your game.

I started down this path about three years ago and have shaved nearly 10 strokes off my typical round. My good shots are way more consistent, my misses not so bad, and I have a slight ability to tweak my swing!
12/29/11

I refuse to take a swing lesson. Refuse!
12/29/11

joe jones says:
SpaceMaNyO. Please advise how I have offended you. My tongue was so far up in my cheek I didn't think anyone could could take offense.
12/29/11

falcon50driver says:
I thought he was talking about the Homer Simpson googley eyes.
12/29/11

SpaceMaNy0 says:
I thought they were boobies.

In which case I was joking anyway.
12/30/11