Fancy Meeting You Here
By joe jones on 1/4/12
For the third week in a row, joe jones has submitted a guest column to us. I can't be certain, but I think he might be developing a case of the oobgolf guest column fever, and the only cure is more guest columns! Man I'm cheesy! Anyway, in case you missed his previous two you can read them here and here. Enjoy!

Over the years I have met some fascinating people on the golf course. Not having a regular group to play with and wishing to play a variety of courses, I have joined and have been placed with golfers who were anywhere from beginner to scratch players. Occasionally they were obnoxious or boring or, even worse were cheaters. But I have also had some wonderful experiences. I choose to write about a few of those experiences today.

On one occasion I joined three Baptist Ministers at a golf outing. Aside from the fact that I was unable to use a few choice expletives that one might sometimes use on the golf course, it turned out to be a wonderful day. It became very apparent very quickly that one of these fine gentlemen was one of the worst putters I have ever seen. He tediously looked at the hole from all four sides and plum-bobbed every putt, and yet, three putts were the norm. His playing partners seemed to relish his agony which I thought was very un-Christian like. In the meantime I was having one of those days where I was making everything in sight. Finally after about six holes, Reverend Brown asked me if I had any helpful suggestions. Not wanting to be overbearing, but with a lot of his coaxing I told him to pick out a line, stay with that line, concentrate on distance control and then “let the Lord take over”. He said he had never thought about that approach, but it was worth a try. I wish I could say he had immediate success, but he did improve greatly and at least started to enjoy the game again. It also had a cooling effect on his partners. How could they make fun of assistance from the Lord?

A few years ago I had an opportunity to play Falcon Dunes Golf Course which is one of the noisiest places to play golf in the world. During the week the constant flights of F-16s taking off and landing at Luke Air Force Base is so loud you can hardly hear yourself think. I like the layout of the course and, while course conditions are sometimes marginal, I have never failed to find good things about the playing experience. On that day I was joined by a Captain from Luke AFB. While I had a very good round for me (shooting a 78) he shot lights out. He had one of the smoothest 66’s I have ever witnessed. He was not a long hitter but I have rarely seen anyone manage a golf course the way he did that day. I think he hit 12 fairways, missed the other 2 by a few feet, hit every green in regulation and seemed to be putting uphill for birdies on every hole from inside 15 feet. That 66 could have easily been a 61 or 62. He rimmed out or had at least 4 putts hang on the lip. All golfers love to play with someone that really knows how to play the game. That was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had on a golf course. He was also good company.

Years ago, while working my way through college, I worked as a bartender at a resort in Wisconsin. One of the fringe benefits was free golf on the resort course. One Saturday morning I was standing alone on the tee ready to start a round when the starter called over the PA system and asked if I would mind playing with a young lady who was a guest of the resort. I waved agreement and she came up and introduced herself as Joanne Gunderson. She was a very attractive blonde about 16 years old. I knew I was in serious trouble after the first hole. She out-drove me off the first tee and chipped in for a birdie. I played a very good round shooting in the mid seventies but she tore that course apart. She hit hooks, high cuts, knockdown wedges on command and chipped and putted as well as anyone I have ever seen. I thought to myself, boy, she has a future in golf.

As I said, her name was Joanne Gunderson. After she married she was Joanne Carner. Big Momma. LPGA Hall of Fame Big Mamma! I guess she did have a future.

The point of all of this is to get you to relax and enjoy the company of anyone you get to play with. You may get a few jerks along the way but, all in all golfers are pretty nice people. Maybe you will be lucky enough to bump into someone as fascinating as I have.

This was written by Joseph Jones, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

photo by Jim Bahn

[ comments ]
BAKE_DAWG40 says:
A few years back my father-in-law and I played Southern Dunes in FL. We assumed we'd be playing as a twosome but the starter paired us with two women. I thought to myself, "oh god, this is going to be a long round." Come to find out one lady teaches at the University of FL and played in a British Open and an US Open. Man, could she play. She shot even for the day and her partner, while not as polished, played very well too. Not an easy course either. One of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I have played!
1/4/12

DoubleDingo says:
About 4 years ago, a coworker and myself decided to play an early Saturday round at one of the local muni's. We were told to start off the back and that we would have a third. Thought it was no big deal. It really wasn't a big deal, except the guy never stopped talking the entire round. By Hole 15 my body was exhausted from listening to this guy yammer on about everything. At one point he said his wife was in Texas to visit family for a week. I thought to myself, "Yeah, she went there for a week to give her ear drums a break." Nice guy, just talked too much.
1/4/12

joe jones says:
I said you would meet an occasional obnoxious jerk. Good comment. Keep your experiences coming.
1/4/12

jfurr says:
I was paired once with a husband and wife who were locals, and a gentleman from out of state visiting his daughter. The gentleman had a few fingers missing on one hand, and wore a velcro glove-like wrap which secured around the club. About mid way in he explained that he lost the fingers in an accident at work. Later the couple explained that they in fact run a prosthetics business and discussed some improved attachments they could offer to assist the guy and handed him a business card. We had a fun round and I'm not sure but maybe the guy ended up getting a helping hand. Sorry for the pun.
1/4/12

jfurr says:
One more quick tale. Was playing LinRick as a single one afternoon. On the back nine there is a par five that totally kills me every time. A double dogleg long par 5 with big water on the approach. There is a tall pine right in front of the tee box, and you need to shape around it accurately or you can end up through the fairway. I've never had a par on this hole, usually triple or worse. This day, I hit a great drive cut around the tree to the right side of the fw. 4 wood uphill to the landing area and a solid 8 iron to a few feet under the hole and made the birdie putt. It was awesome. Waiting behind a slow foursome on the tee box two holes up another single caught up to me. "How're you hitting them?" he asked. I said so-so but happy to have first birdie on the last hole. "Me too" he said. "Hit a cut drive off the tee, then 4 wood up to the top of the hill, and 8 iron to the green". Too funny - I think if we had been playing the hole together would have been side by side golf.
1/4/12

joe jones says:
jfurr...Too bad you don't have the name of the company that produced the prosthetics device. I'll bet a lot of people would love that info. Great pun!!!
1/4/12

joe jones says:
jfurr....I wonder if that was the first time the other guy birdied the hole. What a co-inka-dink that would be.
1/4/12

falcon50driver says:
Since we're dropping names, I walked on a course in Taos NM and got paired up with "Easy Rider" Dennis Hopper for a round. Flew to Victoria Texas to pick up Bum Phillips "Houston Oilers coach" for a tournament in Biloxi. My wife was invited to go along and we had dinner with him and his wife after the tournament. Played in a tournament with Bob Hope and Houston Oilers running back Earl Campbell. I picked Earl up in Austin for the tournament in Beaumont. The thing that impressed me was the size of his thighs, they measured 34 inches each. He sat next to me in the cockpit and barely fit the seat. All were real gentlemen and fun to be around.
1/4/12

GolfinHawg says:
If you think Falcon Dunes is noisy try playing Sunrise Vista Golf Cuorse at Nellis AFB, Nv. They have a couple greens and a few tee boxes at the end of the runway. Nothing like trying to tee off when a F-22 is taking off over you head.
1/5/12

joe jones says:
Golfinhawg....We lived in Vegas for 9 years and your dead on. On one tee box I felt like I was going to get blown over by the jet blast and It's pretty hard to blow over my 260 pounds.
1/5/12

stedar says:
Down here in New Zealand, at a little golf course named South Head, 45mins North West out of the main city, Auckland, had a spot available for 2 Local guys to book a tee time to make up a foursome with a club member by the name of Steve Williams and friend. The 2 local guys were running a little late, as they quickly approached the tee, who was there to meet them, Steve and Tiger. No one had a clue, as Steve often books himself and friend. The day had to be one of the best golfing days ever...
1/5/12

joe jones says:
That has to be the best meet story yet. Keep them coming. Great fodder for discussion.
1/6/12