Don't Twist The Tigers Tail
By joe jones on 6/13/12
Joseph Jones is well on his way to becoming a regular contributor on oob, and for that, we applaud him! Here is his latest submission. If you missed his previous submissions, you can read them here, here, here, here, here and here.

When Tiger Woods won the Memorial Tournament, it went a long way to suggest that he may have recovered from most of his problems.

The Honorable Society of Stupid Commentators keep saying that he doesn't have his A game back, so all he does is hit 14 fairways and 16 greens to come from four strokes behind with a remarkable 67 on Sunday to beat the field by two strokes. If that is not his A game, what is?

So far this season he has won Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Invitational and Jack Nicklaus' Memorial and, by the way, he is second on the tour with a scoring average of 69.42. He also is seventh on the money list and first in total driving.

When asked about Woods Jim Furyk said “I wish you guys (commentators) would stop ticking him off. Every time you chip away at his level of play, he elevates it up a notch or two and makes it impossible for the rest of us".

I think the scariest thing about Woods is his ability to adapt his game to the most difficult courses and conditions. For a golfer in his mid-30s to have won 14 majors and 73 PGA Tour events, the idea of him eventually holding every record in the book before he retires is not far fetched. Nicklaus' record of 18 majors and Sam Snead's record of 86 PGA Tour wins is at least feasible if not probable. The only thing that might stop him is physical problems or a large growth on his left hip (called the bulging wallet disease). He is so rich now I don't think the latter might happen.

The fantastic wedge he hit to birdie the 16th hole all but secured the win for him. It should not have come as too big of a shock to anyone. He has a history of coming up with the most extra ordinary shots when the pressure is on. He has hit so many great shots over the years that is hard to determine where this one ranks among all of the other great shots. Jack Nicklaus said “under the circumstances I don't think I have ever seen a better shot”. High praise from the usually understated Mr. Nicklaus.

There are a few naysayers that deny Woods abilities for some of the dumbest reasons in the world, but most knowledgeable fans know how good he really is. We all should be enjoying his talent and begin to realize that athletes like this come along rarely and should be appreciated while they are here.

This was written by Joseph Jones, a reader/follower/fellow oober and the opinions are 100% his and do not reflect those of oobgolf in anyway. Enjoy! I'm sure he's ready for your feedback.

Image via Flickr, Keith Allison

Have an idea for a guest column? Send it here

[ comments ]
I'm in the camp that really can't stand the thought of Tiger woods. To be fair, I disliked him before it was cool. I thought he had an attitude problem to begin with as soon as he got on tour, if not always in the press tent. That being said, the dude can play golf and i will watch him. I enjoy watching the stuff he does. To deny that he's an amazing talent is just bogus. You don't have to like him, but you've GOT to respect his play.

bducharm says:
I had a friend say this morning he couldn't believe Tiger was 3-1 to win the Open. I took those odds and bet him! Look for Tiger to play great this week. Boring golf - fairways, greens, great putting!
6/13/12

I'm not sure he can win at Olympic under US Open conditions without being able to hit his driver. He didn't hit driver much at all in the last round @ Memorial. With the length of Olympic this year, an accurate driver is going to be crucial, and that is the one biggest flaw that he has right now. He's near the top in total driving because he is able to play a regular PGA event without hitting driver.

No doubt he is one of the all-time greats, and in the past, his ability to close out a tournament was second-to-none. I don't think everyone else is afraid of him anymore, though. I think between being taken to 19 holes in '08 by Rocco, and then being taken from behind by Yang at the PGA, his aura of invincibility has been shattered. He's a great competitor, but he's not the intimidating presence he once was.

dooboo says:
We will look back in 20 years and will appreciate what he has accomplished on the course.

I think in order for him to be 100% back, he needs to get back to his old life styles as well, as keeping the same routine, however, some might not agree with that statement.

I hope he can win this year's US Open so he can shut the commentators up...however, even if he wins, they might say "still not the old tiger"
6/13/12

Nice article Joe. I agree, you dont have to like someone to respect them. Same thing kinda applies to LeBron James. He is a once in a lifetime talent and has so many haters because they dont like things he has done. But that seems to come with the territory of being the best in your sport, the expectations are so high becasue we all know how good they are and some people are just jealous, ignorant, stupid and hate. Play on Playa!
6/13/12

It doesn't matter what people say or write about the guy today. There is such a low standard of writing in golf anyways. Golf writers are some of the most spineless and myopic in all of sports. How else do you explain the elevation of Rickie Fowler to icon status. As for Tiger Woods, he is cemented as the best golfer of his time, at worst the 2nd best of all time and probably the most famous and influential sportsman in the world. In a hundred years golfers will still be talking about his career.
6/13/12

Mjaber says: "I think between being taken to 19 holes in '08 by Rocco"

That only enhanced his reputation, he was playing on a broken leg... lol come on now....

dottomm says:
Tiger is definitely back to playing great golf but I think Olympic is gonna kicks everyones butt. Even if Tiger hits every green, he's still going to be pitching from the rough and collection areas. Those greens look frightening!! Look for guys like Rory, Luke, Phil and yes Tiger to be getting up and down from where no one else can.

DougE says:
There are a handful of great players on the Tour right now. Maybe more. They all have a chance to win. There are none on the Tour whose greatness spans the length of time as that of Tiger and none who have proven to have as much ability. Not even Phil, who stands a distant 2nd, and whom I like, by the way.

Based on what Tiger has been showing us this year, he will certainly be in the mix and I, for one, would never bet against him winning. He's healthy, able to practice a lot, and getting much more comfortable with his new swing---a recipe for making the field nervous again. The future looks bright for him going forward. I have never lost faith in him. I doubt he has either. He may never dominate as he once did, but he is sure to be a major force again as he strives to capture the most majors ever. I look forward to watching him do it and will be rooting for him all the way.

Scott Shields says:
There is some great talent on tour, but tiger is a once in a generation, if not once in a 50 year talent. All the haters will continue to hate, and who cares about his private life, this is about golf. IN 20 years when he is done, we will look back and realize that he was the best thing to ever happen to our sport, and will be missed. LGTW!

joe jones says:
The comparison to Lebron James is spot on. I don't like what James did when he left Cleveland but that has nothing to do with his great talent. Ty Cobb is remembered as one of the greatest ballplayers ever. He was also devout racist and active member of the Klan. What bothers me about some of the people that refuse to admit how good Tiger is it is due to racism only. You can't teach stupid.

mmontisano says:
comparison to James doesn't make sense. i think you mean Kobe. If Lebron was so awesome, he'd have at least 4 rings by now, and this Ohioan is happy that he doesn't. i hope he goes down in history like Barkley. great player, but no rings.

as for Tiger. you can't call yourself a golf fan and not respect him for his game. personal life is different. i think Jack is the only great athlete that is truly a role model in both his professional and personal life.

FiddySnead says:
Banker ur lebron comparison makes complete sense....this ohioan (Yo-330...Go Dennis Miller!!) doesnt hate on talent of that caliber...but hey haters gonna hate plain and simple...ps if u havent played mill creek park where dennis miller is the club pro its a must...36 holes of donald ross design, a pure joy to have it in my backyard...now everyone knows my GOW home course answer lol
6/14/12

mmontisano says:
i meant no harm in my comment. it's just that Kobe is threatening Jordan's reign of greatest of all time, while being an adulterer, mirroring Tiger to Jack. James hasn't even won 1 championship yet, so I don't see the comparison.
6/14/12

FiddySnead says:
I hear ya bad caddy iv always thought kobe was more like jordan the game they play is a lot more similar to eachother than lebron....lebrons more of a magic man if u catch my drift
6/14/12

bducharm says:
Tiger sure made it look easy today!!!
6/14/12

joe jones says:
My comment about Lebron wasn't as much about how great he was in comparison to other players as much as it reflected the bad feelings Cleveland fans have for him. Badcaddy has a right to dislike Lebron but that doesn't diminish how good a player he is. You certainly can dislike someone but give him credit for his game.
6/14/12

Tim Horan says:
It was good to see him smiling and chatting to Phil and Bubba yesterday. He is certainly in a better place than he has been for some time. I have never been a fan of Tiger's and this is possibly because of the media circus that surrounds him but in the post round interview with Sky's Tim Barter he was at ease with himself he believes his swing changes are now 2nd nature and he seems to be a happy chappy. What does this mean for the rest of the field?...Watch out there is a Tiger about!
6/15/12