One, Two, Show me your shoe!
By Erika Larkin on 8/15/12
I would argue that over 80% of golfers need to improve their forward weight shift during the golf swing. This topic comes up often in my lessons with both adults and juniors. With the kids (and many times with my adult students too!), I use this little phrase to help them remember a proper rhythm and follow through position: "One, two, show me your shoe."

Simply explained:
  • One = wind-up/backswing

• Two = un-wind/downswing

• Show me your shoe = finish in a position where your right knee (for a right handed golfer), both of your hips and shoulders are pointing to the target, arms are folded up and over the left shoulder.
Be picky on this position because many golfers fall short of the full rotation of their body and full weight shift. Your right foot should be COMPLETELY pivoted on its toe box (not on the ball of the foot) to ensure that you've made a full weight shift and are not hanging back. If someone was standing behind you, they should see the entire sole of your right shoe.

If you can finish consistently in this position you are probably already going to hit the ball better, but it is still possible to "fake" your follow-through and end up in a good position but as an afterthought. So, remember that timing of what happens at "two" is just as important as then end position; start to shift your weight as your first move after the backswing by sliding your hips laterally over your left hip and foot, then let your arms start to fall down. This magic move will help you maximize the benefits of the weight shift and body turn through impact (power, clean contact, leverage). It will also make it much easier if your weight has already shifted to your front foot to then "show me your shoe!"

Good luck!

Erika Larkin is the Director of Instruction at Larkin Golf Learning Community at Stonewall Golf Club in Gainesville, Virigina. She was recently named the 2012 Middle Atlantic PGA "Teacher of the Year" and the 2011 "Top Golf Pro" by Washingtonian Magazine and she's oobgolf's newest columnist. She'll be writing on a variety of topics including instruction, so if you have a question for her or an idea for a column, email her at erikalarkin@pga.com. Enjoy!

Image via Flickr, pocketwiley

[ comments ]
SteveMM says:
This is something I've struggled with. I tend to be very "armsy". I have a few lessons coming up (bday present from my wife) and plan to work on it heavily.
8/15/12

GBogey says:
I think struggle with this, particularly with the driver. Is that normal to have more problems with longer clubs than shorter ones?
8/15/12

Erika Larkin says:
Yes GBOGEY, If your stance is wider with a longer club like driver it would make it harder to laterally shift your weight from one foot to the other. Try to narrow your stance a little and see if that helps!
8/15/12

Matt F says:
I have a tendency to keep my weight more on my front foot, although I still have the rotation and really only try to use a 3/4 swing. What sort of dis-service am I doing myself?
8/16/12

Bryan K says:
When I was taking lessons to learn how to hit my driver, my instructor at the time told me that on my follow through, it was like I was actually taking a step. And then, as a drill, he had me swing the club and then actually take a step with my back foot as part of my follow through.

The interesting part about this weight transfer is the fact that I've been struggling to undo it for my short touch shots (basically anything with a wedge). I've found that I have much greater success with a wedge when I start with all of my weight forward unless I'm standing uphill. Then, of course, all my weight goes to and stays on the back foot. This has been a huge struggle, but when I'm doing it right, my wedge play is absolutely lights out.
8/16/12

Matt McGee says:
Bryan, it's funny that you say that about your short game shots. While I do try to start with my weight on my forward foot, I've found that if I don't get a weight transfer of some sort, my wedge shots fail completely. The solution to this, for me at least, is to narrow my stance for shorter shots. The weight shift is minimal, but it's there. I hit green-side chips with my feet almost together.
8/16/12

wrhall02 says:
This is my major swing flaw, I tend to get "caught up" on my right side and have to cast to compensate. Result; slices without good distance and the occasional duck hook.
I have been working hard on this aspect of my swing and it paying great dividends. My mis-hits are far less severe. Like nay major change in swing, it has affected my score a bit, but I can see I huge improvements in "shot quality."
8/16/12