Tenison Park Golf Course
Add To My Courses
Visit Course Site
3501 Samuell Blvd
Dallas, TX 75223-1711, United States
Located less than ten miles from downtown Dallas, this 36-hole facility was Dallas' first municipal course when it opened in 1924 with what is now the Tenison Glen 18. (Land was donated by Mr. and Mrs. E.O. Tenison, hence the facility name.) Architect Ralph Plummer designed the current Tenison Glen layout, while architect Steve Wolfard and former PGA Tour player-turned-architect D.A. Weibring redesigned the Tenison Highlands 18 in 2001.
The facility is noteworthy for having hosted ... [more]
Average Hole Difficulty
klutzpunk - 4/16/13
Location and the driving range is all this place has going for it. I have been going to the course for years and am completely fed-up with the raised price and lack of care going into it. $55+ tax for a course not maintained for the price you pay for it. The most I would pay to play a course like this...30? maybe. The proximity to downtown is probably the only reason people play this course. Cedar Crest does a better job at maintaining for nearly half the price.
1. Driving range built into a constant cross wind, so not able to tell how well you're hitting it. Staff always very friendly and helpful.
2. Putting green. Nothing like what is out on the course. Very inconsistent from day to day. Nothing is done on any of the cups when they are cut, to make the the raised ground from the freshly cut cup is leveled back to the rest of the green. Cups are always domed. Resulting in puts that never go in the cup. Probably the only consistency between the practice putting green and course green.
3. Chipping green. NO hittable grass around it. Very barren no matter the time of year. Bunkers are always fluff. Whether it is in the practice are or on the course. Never packed properly or at all.
4. Tee Boxes. Just like the chipping green area. Hardly any grass. Probably the better part of the course.
5. Fairway/Rough. Cannot tell the difference between the two. Whether it is Spring, Summer, or Fall. No grassline to depict whether you hit a fairway or rough. Even when you are in the rough. It's very barren, no grass. Only chewed up dirt. Even then, the grass is so short, its barely possible to hit any type of shot off of it. Ground very hard due to lack of watering.
6. Greens. Never seen any cut on weekends. Play Saturday, only to come back on Sunday to see the greens still haven't been cut. And every cup cut on the course is raised and very visibly domed. None put like a true green. Puts more like shag carpet.
7. Markers. No designation of Yellow/Red hazard lines on the course. Whether by water or other hazards. Nothing is marked properly or at all. Lots of un-marked ground under repair. Some areas small, some very large.
8. Do not see marshal's out on the course to monitor the pace of play. Very common to send out people too many people in a group early just because they know somebody that works there. Slow play is very expected with the lack of marshal presence. Many times you see people taking at least 20 minutes to complete even the easier of par 4's.
Tenison Glen -
It appears what money is left over from poorly maintaining the Highlands is put into this course. It's fine that it has no bunkers. It is a very old school classic layout. It is the more challenging of the two and more fun. More worth your money playing Glen than Highlands if you had to choose between the two.
Paying this much money, you would expect to see a good presence as to how your money is spent on this course. But I just can't see it anymore. Not sure I saw it to begin with.
mustang6560 - 4/12/12
The fact Lee Trevino grew up playing this course makes it infinitely times better. For a municipal course that sees a lot of activity, Tennison is a good course. The green speeds were inconsistent when I played, which was due to poor drainage. There are no bunkers on the Glen course but the fairways are tight so getting the ball in the fairway is a must.
jpr1877 - 7/26/12
burnellj - 7/21/12
SMM - 6/23/12
meangreen - 6/23/11
ryankimura - 8/14/10
mmontisano - 8/4/10
Mattlite - 12/1/09
cboeing - 8/15/09
Best Score: 72
Tenison Highlands / Diamond