Not a member? Join now to track your game, create a group, find courses, find golfers, and browse equipment all for FREE.
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Forum FAQ  |  Private Messages

Hole In One...No witnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> What's the right Ruling?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

joe jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: unwitnessed hole in one

Actually I was pulling everyones chain with this one. I have been fortunate to have 3 other holes in one after the first one which was unwitnessed. The second one came one year to the day after the first and was witnessed by 3 Baptist ministers. I had witnesses and club pro confirmation on each.

As to the official ruling. Any hole in one that qualifies for a prize of any kind must be witnessed and attested too. Each club and contest have varying degrees of rules.

The Royal and Ancient in Scotland states that " As golf is an honorable game played by gentleman it is assumed that a reported hole in one is valid even if it is not witnessed".
The USGA has stated that"The game of golf is built around integrity and there is nothing in the rule book that disqualifies an unwitnessed hole in one" It is no different than posting a unwitnessed score for handicap purposes.

I"d like to thank everyone for their kind comments.I just thought there might be others in the Oob world that faced the same questions.

Banker85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject:

An unwitnessed Ace is one of my worst fears. I play 90% of my rounds alone and have come close on two occasions. Good to know that it would count per USGA and R&A!!! No more worries of hitting a hole in one when i play alone! Now i am going to actually try for a hole in one! Rolling Eyes

ps. three baptist ministers???? now that is a stretch!!!
joe jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Banker 85

Look in my golfer of the week. Honest injun! Playing in an outing at Deer Creek Golf Course, south suburbs of Chicago, in an outing. Fact is I didn't see it go in but the ministers were playing a forward tee and they were jumping up and down. At the time I assumed it was the golf god"s way of evening things out.
joe jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Banker 85

You should be familiar with the course, your from the area....8th hole

falcon50driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Huh?
joe jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: merlin3driver

What does huh mean? Please explain.

legitimatebeef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Joe, my one ace was unwitnessed. It was a mishit 3 iron, a pretty bad thin, it barely got up in the air, low screamer that landed short and rolled a long way to the cup. I guess I did something right, aimed it good I guess but it was more blind luck and it didn't bother me that it was unwitnessed because it was a horrible looking and feeling shot. I would have been embarrassed as hell if it had happened on a packed course. But it is legit as can be. It happened, unless I was hallucinating and I am 99% sure that wasn't the case.
Rulesman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject:

legitimatebeef wrote:
I am 99% sure that wasn't the case.

Does that mean you are or are not virtually certain?

player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Just videotape everytime you play a par 3 or drivable par 4 when you play alone. Set up a tripod or something or ask someone from the group behind you to hold your recorder.

lazorbeam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject:

joe jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: lazorbeam

I hope my comments have given you the validity that you deserve. It's always a hollow feeling when you have done something but cannot prove it. According to the USGA and the Royal and Ancient you have the proof you need. Thanks for your comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    oobgolf Forum Index -> What's the right Ruling? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: